Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 18:18   #1

IC-M700 Pro Receive Only?

So I was looking at the NASA HF3/P SSB receiver to get WX via my iPad. The setup including the mounting, antenna, radio etc was going to cost nearly $400.00 for the components.

I've found a great deal on a used IC-M700Pro and I'm interested in using it as a receiver only. I don't have the money for the insulated backstay, antenna tuner, counter poise, licensing etc., but could buy the radio for only a little more than the NASA receiver.

My question is, will this work, can I receive all bands without the tuner and counter-poise? I would like the ability to add the transmit function at a later date when I have the funds for the additional components.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Orion35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:24   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: IC-M700 Pro Receive Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion35 View Post
So I was looking at the NASA HF3/P SSB receiver to get WX via my iPad. The setup including the mounting, antenna, radio etc was going to cost nearly $400.00 for the components.

I've found a great deal on a used IC-M700Pro and I'm interested in using it as a receiver only. I don't have the money for the insulated backstay, antenna tuner, counter poise, licensing etc., but could buy the radio for only a little more than the NASA receiver.

My question is, will this work, can I receive all bands without the tuner and counter-poise? I would like the ability to add the transmit function at a later date when I have the funds for the additional components.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Yes, it will work OK as a receiver without the tuner etc.

Welcome aboard Orion.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm honestly not sure how well it would receive without the tuner. What would you use for an antenna? A used tuner would probably be $150-200. My antenna and counterpoise ran me about $10. There is a thread on here somewhere about a homemade KISS counterpoise. I followed those directions with speaker wire I had in hand and it seems to work well enough. Have about an average signal compared to other boats
Old 21-03-2017, 04:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Orion.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:57   #5

The M700 will make an excellent receiver. And, of course, if someday you decide that you want a transmitter, then you already have one.

The tuner is absolutely not a requirement for just receiving. Yes, your reception would be slightly better with a tuned antenna, but my guess would be that the difference would not be enough to justify the effort and expense, so long as you are only receiving.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:59   #6
Eternal Member

The 700Pro is a very fine marine transceiver. No comparison at all with the NASA thingy.

For receive only you don't really have to worry about a counterpoise. You can fashion a workable antenna out of any length of insulated wire strung up in the rigging, the longer the better.

By all means use it, learn about its operation, get a ship station license and a restricted marine operators permit, and put it into operation on the marine bands. You don't need a traditional insulated backstay antenna. You can make one just as serviceable from a length of insulated s/s lifeline -- lots written on this "alternate backstay" antenna.

For transmitting, though, you will need some sort of RF ground. Easiest is a connection to the nearest bronze thru hull, but you could use lots of other things as well.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 10:30   #7

Boat: Riva 48

No need for an antenna tuner to receive. Most marine radios will not even initiate the tuning procedure before you start transmitting.

You will be better off with a handheld SSB radio receiver though, mostly for the lower power consumption. I have a SEA 235 marine transceiver that uses around 1.1A in receive mode. The PL-660 shortwave receiver uses around 5x less current and takes very little space. If receiving a weather fax, both are acceptable outside the marina but inside the SEA 235 is cleaner. It has better filtering.

For low power your best bet is to have an android phone (with the display dimmed down) running HF fax connected to the shortwave receiver. The system will use less than 5-6 AHrs day receiving all day long. You can also monitor DSC traffic this way, although you will not be able to take action if you receive a distress call nor initiate one.

The 700Pro uses around 2.1A in receive only mode which is around 30AHrs/day incl. phone plus takes more space.

Keep in mind that once you go open ocean, away from the city and interference, the reception quality improves a lot.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 10:47   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

^^ actually that's an interesting point reower comsumption, but I gathered it wouldn't be left on all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion35 View Post

What would you do?

Thanks!
As others have said, get the M700Pro. Great radio. You can make a very decent antenna for 50 bucksish (on the high end), google 'alternate backstay antenna' on these forums by Bill. Or I've done a writeup here Installing an ICOM802 SSB Part 1: Creating and installing an alternative backstay antenna – Life on Gudgeon

A KISS Counterpoise is around 125? I think? bucks, but you can do a cheap version fairly easily with a length of copper strap.

A tuner is not a must for receiving, it will just help. You can add it later if you get the cash. The M700 pro also has enough transmit power for sailmail, if you want to later send emails.
Old 21-03-2017, 13:49   #9

Boat: '95 Catalina 30

Yes, Icom makes excellent receivers (and transmitters). I have several in the ham bands. For receive only, I'd just string as much insulated 18-20 ga copper wire, scattered along the deck and up through the mainsails head gasket and back down and along the toe/edge of the hull. Use your halyard to raise the antenna with or w/o sail. And then just drag some copper wire in the briny for your ground and counterpoise.
jamesdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m700