Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2019, 16:22   #1

Boat: Catalina S320
I think I need upgrade, but not sure..

Hi all. My recently purchased sailboat has mostly 2006 Raymarine equipment (see picture), .. I was out on the water testing the radar today but I didn't care for it at all. Couldn't tell traffic from stationary targets and just not very user friendly. Maybe its just me, but I am guessing that today's electronics offer much improvement in this area. I am on the fence so far regarding staying with Raymarine, or go with other vendors for new radar and I suppose MFD. The wind, depth, and auto pilot segments seem to work ok, so can I keep them as is or do I have to chuck them too?
I read reports about how great Garmin is, and then I'll find some unhappy owners who wish they went with Raymarine or Furuno, or other..

I am a doit youselfer, and would like to handle the installs myself if that is feasible.

Any comments or suggestions or experiences would be welcome.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_131059.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	196518  
seapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 16:34   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: I think I need upgrade, but not sure..

Yup it’s time to upgrade. Start by taking all the outdated useless RM stuff out and ship it to me for disposal, don’t forget the radome, I’ll gladly cover the shipping charges. Radar has made leaps and bounds in the last 13 years and if you don’t navigate in pitch black with VR goggles, you’re not living.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 17:35   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Forget what RBK said. I live a couple of ferry rides away. I'll come pick it up.

All kidding aside your radar is good, it is the operator that needs experience. You need hours in front of the radar adjusting the settings until you understand what is happening. For instance you need to reduce the range to see what is happening around you. Mine is often set on 3 miles or less. As for the other sailing instruments the basics have not changed since they went to digital displays and your instruments are several generations beyond that.

The instrument makers want you to replace everything every five years but there is no reason to do so. There are a few advantages like NMEA 2000 networking so that you can see everything from multiple locations but that is about it.

Save yourself the money and trouble of replacing equipment that works.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 17:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

If it costs too much to ship to the Yukon by dogsled send it south to me.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 19:40   #5

Boat: Catalina S320

Thanks stormalong, thats good advice. Guess I'll try to work a little harder at making that radar mean something to me. I guess I got caught up in the appeal of the new bells and whistles...
seapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 20:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

New radars has hundreds of new features, 99% of which you will never use.
My radar certification course was 11 weeks. They are difficult to master but if you can find a 70's vintage Furuno manual it will shorten your learning curve dramatically, they were extremely well written with excellent explanations of the basics such as tune, FTC, STC and gain which are the basic functions one must master.

I now have one of the newest radars that will do all the basic functions automatically and poorly. I prefer to turn off the automatics and do it manually.
Old 24-07-2019, 20:25   #7

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

But I’ll pay the shipping and,.... As long as it’s got an LCD screen I wouldn’t worry about it. AIS is cheap I’d spend $500 on a transponder for that before I would upgrade the radar.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 23:50   #8

your gps antenna will likly fail in the near future if it's still a ray120 or 125. if you plan to keep the outdated screen, I would at a min replace the gps ant. with something like a ray130 with a stng to seatalk converter. (not cheap...)

or replace the screen + radar. the ST 60 gauges if still working are likly fine.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 01:54   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Seapop,

We are in a similar position with RM C80 and ST60 instruments.

Our current thoughts are to replace the C80 with the latest RM Elements 7S chart plotter (CP). It uses buttons not touch screen, so wet fingers aren't a problem. We don't have radar and this CP can accept the latest wifi super dooper systems. I could fit radar to the C80 but it's using yesterdays technology. Selling the the C80 ought to offset 50% of the Element 7S cost which is useful.

Also we have a small SeatalkNG network for the wheel pilot so could connect in the CP into this easily.

We intend to keep the ST60s and in stand alone mode. They work and are reasonably robust.

As you can see from a number off offers to take the old instruments off your hands, they still command good money on the second hand market.

Perhaps time to take a trip to a boat show or your nearest RM dealer keep your wallet firmly closed until you are sure of the right course of action.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 12:02   #10

Boat: Hylas 54

We had the same set up from 2007 and replaced all with a new Raymarine Axiom Pro system. Only kept the AIS which was quite new. The new system is fantastic with full remote and touch screen functionality, super intuitive, clear and fully integrated. The repeaters are amazing color mini screens that can show pretty much any data you want them to. But the update was expensive, so depends on your priorities.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 21:02   #11

Boat: Flicka 20

Newer radars use much less power, end of story. I don’t have radar because I threw the old stuff in the trash. When I do buy a system it won’t be because of bells and whistles, it will be because I can use it for an extended period without running the engine. In fact basic is good enough for me. Brand doesn’t matter but I want buttons and knobs to control the unit not touch screen. Leaning toward B&G, sometime when I have extra money.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 21:26   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Nothing needs replacing there until you are sure you need a new radar. I bet you don’t.
I bought a Vesper XB8000 to provide AIS, bring all the existing data to wifi, and do my chart plotting via iPad. Add to your system, as you already have excellent gear.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 01:04   #13

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Nothing needs replacing there until you are sure you need a new radar. I bet you don’t.
I bought a Vesper XB8000 to provide AIS, bring all the existing data to wifi, and do my chart plotting via iPad. Add to your system, as you already have excellent gear.
We have Simrad instruments, and I purchased an AIS from Sitex. It interfaces perfectly and displays targets on the MFD. In conjunction with radar it gives me all commercial traffic.

You didn't mention AIS, so like Tillsbury, I would recommend you add it as an upgrade to your system.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 14:16   #14

Boat: Beneteau

While doing a 15 ton ticket a couple years ago we spent hours on the application of radar and learned how to actually use the instrument properly. I'm thinking the tool is fine and will do wonderfully once you've spent some time with it.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 15:55   #15

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Do you have a sextant on board and know how to use it?
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapop View Post
Thanks stormalong, thats good advice. Guess I'll try to work a little harder at making that radar mean something to me. I guess I got caught up in the appeal of the new bells and whistles...
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote