Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2013, 14:44   #1

Boat: 450 Hunter CC /Dancing with the Wind
I-pad or Android

Hi I've read a previous thread and have a question about using ipads and tablets. I currently have an St 530 charplotter and a newer course computor and new steering head St8002 that serves me quite well but this Aug. am planning a cruise south from Lake Ontario down through the Erie canal and on to the Hudson river to New York city and eventually to the Bahamas via the ICW to Florida and the Bahamas. I do have a laptop actually 2 but am considering purchasing a Ipad or tablet for back up navigation, but know very little about them and from my understanding the Ipad is not compatible with only apple products. Is there a good choice for a tablet that allows for navigation apps and will give a comparable chart for the Navionics cards I use for my Chartplotter? Also what is available for charts to download to my laptop for planning courses? I do have a hand held Gps I can use for locating that has a patch cord to my laptop. but would prefer to have something I can use at the helm. I am also looking for paper charts for this trip. Also will I need to have an internet signal to make these work. We will probably be adding a Satelite phone but I'm not sure if this will be a big asset or not, except for being able to use it for calls and email. I have been told that a SSB will do this as well but mine does not have a pactor modem. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 22-02-2013, 15:24   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: I-pad or Android

My wife has an iPad that I installed Navimatics Charts and Tides. It uses vector charts that you download from their site. Once you download the charts (east coast US for us) then they are available offline. You have to have the iPad with a built in gps which is the one with cell phone connectivity as well as wifi.

I purchased a Nexus 7 6 months ago and downloaded MxMariner. This ap lets you download entire NOAA regions in raster chart format. Once the region is downloaded yo don't need any internet connectivity to use them. The Nexus uses Android 4.4.2 and only has wifi connectivity.

Both work well. I am partial to raster charts so I like the Nexus with MxMariner. Both are basic, no frills navigators and won't let you do stuff like download routes from other sources, but they will easily get you from A to B and are perfect for backup or for limited chartplotter use.

Both can be used for 6-8 hours between rechargings.

David

Old 22-02-2013, 16:23   #3

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

You may want to review this thread about Navionics Charts in the Bahamas

Lagoon 450 (Next Life) damaged in the Exuma, The Bahamas

Explorer Charts are what everyone recommends for the Bahamas
You can use the free Garmin BlueChart Mobile on the iPad and for $30 you can add all of the USA and Bahamas Explorer Charts

For the laptop you can use the free OpenCPN
Old 22-02-2013, 17:40   #4

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

I have inavx on my iphone and it is a great app, except for non US charts you have to subscribe to their website even if you already have the charts on your computer. MX Mariner for Android uses gemf archives so you have to convert your charts to that format for outside coastal US waters. My current favorite is Marine Navigator app for Android, on my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7" droid tablet. I can copy raster charts directly to the device and use them with that app. I still prefer inavx for US waters. I am hoping we will some day see OCPN ported to Android. It is hands down better than any ios or droid app.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 21:35   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

I have a friend who's really into Android. He showed me a great app that I bought that allowed you to add charts for anywhere in the world. So I bought US and Canada. The charts are all C-Map and look great.

The app is Plan2Nav and it's available in Google Play for about $30.

No affiliation. Just a happy user.
Old 25-02-2013, 09:10   #6

Boat: 450 Hunter CC /Dancing with the Wind

Okay so I'm leaning more towards Android, anyone have a favorite and what about ones with gps, also do you need connectivity with internet when travelling and charting? Thanks
Old 25-02-2013, 09:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have an android smart phone and android tablet (asus transformer prime). I use paper charts. The android gear has worked great for me.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:58   #8

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer905 View Post
Okay so I'm leaning more towards Android, anyone have a favorite and what about ones with gps, also do you need connectivity with internet when travelling and charting? Thanks
No internet needed once your charts are installed. My Samsung Galaxy Tab2 has a very good gps... more sensitive than the one in the iphone.

You can also run OCPN on your laptop, and view and control it with your tablet or smart phone in the cockpit if you dont mind a few watts of wasted power.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: