Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 18:57   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

Your chances of buying that lot for $10,000 are nil. That is before considering the "nice to have" items. Time to reassess the priorities.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 19:19   #17

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

I would look at Raymarine. They have integrated systems for all the components you are listing except forward looking sonar. With their new systems, they display on IPads and IPhones by wifi.

I have an older Raymarine system installed on my then new Hunter 356 in 2003 and it still works. I use Raytech software at the nav station to display chart information and AIS and radar overlay. I have a Digital Yacht IAIS receive only AIS and have reconfigured it to display on 5 devices simultaneously with wi-fi and it outputs to my PC running Raytech software by usb. I use INAVX to display the AIS and it acts as a separate Chartplotter on my IPad.

I do not have a video camera either, but the new systems allow you to integrate Flir, video, radar, AIS overlaying your Chartplotter.

Raymarine offers some serious discounts during the boat shows so give them a look. You are a little light on your equipment cost, but you can get a lot of what you want by packaging and using boat show discounts.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 22:55   #18

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Your chances of buying that lot for $10,000 are nil. That is before considering the "nice to have" items. Time to reassess the priorities.
Have to agree there is no way a budget of $10,000 will cover your list.

The Vesper 8000 AIS with the rest by the same supplier would be the way to go. It also gives you a WiFi hub.

XB-8000 AIS transponder with built-in WiFi and NMEA 2000 Gateway
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 01:22   #19

Boat: Able 50

As an example, it would be quite easy to spend $5,000 just on the autopilot. If you shop around and pick up some great deals you might get away with $4,000. Bear in mind that the ads for autopilots never include the motor or rams. A ram or direct drive will cost around $2,000.

Do cats need a ram in each hull ? ? Not sure.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 06:49   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post

Do cats need a ram in each hull ? ? Not sure.
No, the rudders are connected to each other, so moving one moves the other.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:35   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I have what is probably a dumb question? I see a trend for everything being displayed on one monitor. What happens when the monitor takes a dump and leaves you with no instrumentation? I can see the space concern but that is about it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 10:56   #22

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

This is going to be controversial with some of you and ditto'd by the rest: Do not expect a tablet computer to be a reliable "system" for chartplotting, radar, or any other mission-critical, must work when needed item. It will not work when needed. Too many weak links. Physically weak. Prone to software, compatibility, and connectivity issues, especially GPS for some reason. If you insist with going with a tablet (or a PC for that matter), use it only for navigation and boat stuff. No games, phone calls, etc. Been there done that.

Go with a reliable name-brand radar/chartplotter that has NMEA 2000 (NMEA 0183 gives you some options for some older equipment but is rapidly going the way of dinosaurs but is way cheaper for cabling). Hardwire it to the boat.

Get a good autopilot if going for more than one day at a time or if double or single handling.

AIS is not required but I would like to have it. I consider radar a must, even for local trips here in the Pacific Northwest. I can use paper charts, and have, but it would scare the dickens out of me in fog or night if I had to do it routinely.

Have a backup GPS system (not just antenna) that does waypoints and routes and know how to use it. Can be handheld or fixed. Personally I would want to be able to have it at the helm when needed. You will need it at some point, especially if you go with a tablet. But then you need charts to do waypoints and routes when your tablet dies. Been there done that.

Forward scanning sonar might be a nice-to-have item but it will be expensive and troublesome and give you a false sense of security. I personally would not want to have to use it to get in to somewhere, although there have been times it would have been useful if I had had it.

Can't really imagine getting the stuff you want in your list for $10k.

And, better know what you are doing to install all that and integrate it. Integration between manufacturers and even between one manufacturer's devices can be difficult and sometimes impossible. Been there done that. Regardless of what the literature, sales reps, your good sailing buddies, and the honorable free advice givers on this and other boards. But I would trust this board most of all.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:22   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

In reality , given what you want , you'll not find a single solution , only furuno has a integrated PC system., with TZ. , but it's missing other aspects like broad band radar

Raymarine used to have that with raychart. But it's a horrible package.

AIS A is a waste of money , AIS B transponder is more then sufficient

Broadband radar limits you to Simrad. If that's a requirement then you've answered your own questions.

If you are sailing the med you've forgotten one very useful piece of kit

NAVTEX.

If I was you I'd forget the integrated PC.

Quatix is a gimmick and best used with Garmin as it can control the AP

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
electronics, men