Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 20:26   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: I Love Our Island Time PC WIFI Antenna

To someone intent on harm, how is connecting your computer to an unsecured access point aboard your boat any different than connecting it to an unsecured access point in the bar on shore? Or for that matter, a secured access point in the bar in which many people have paid access to?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:43   #32

Great question. The biggest difference is how your computer is setup on the network. I can only speak for the windows world as I'm not that familiar with apple or linux systems. Your network settings are configured as either home, work, or public networks. Most people when connecting to a public wifi system are going to set it as a public network, which is going to give you the best "out of the box" protection. It also means you won't be able to share files, etc, over that network, but who cares, you're just surfing the web. However, I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people who have wifi systems on their boat have that one configured to home, which gives you NO protection. Actually it pretty much opens your computer up and screams come get what you want, because that network is designed for easy communication between computers. Or computers and other devices. It's why your TV can stream movies stored on your PC. Or why you can open a spreadsheet on your laptop that's stored on your PC. Or how your iPod has access to your iTunes library. If you only have one device that connects to the wifi on your boat, making sure that connection is set to public would probably be ok, but if you're like me even on a boat I would probably have half a dozen devices connected. I probably have close to 20 on my home network.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:52   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Are we talking about the router here, or the computer itself? You can set up your computer to not allow sharing files, remote access, etc (firewall), while being on an open access point. You can also set it up to only allow sharing, remote access, etc from other specific computers. This has nothing to do with the access point being open or not.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:58   #34

Right, also known as locking down your system. That was my original question as it seemed to me that there was a discussion about leaving your wifi open but nobody was mentioning how they were protecting themselves. And there were questions about it from people who obviously didn't have the skill set to lock their system down.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 21:20   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

I found the system complicated ... turned out to be my laptop had the problem. Bob spent hours with me to find a solution ... he is professional and dedicated to his clients!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna