Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48   #1

Hyperlink Lightning Protector for Coax

Does this work to protect a VHF/AIS and/or SSB against lighting or (more likely) do I have no idea what I am talking about?

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=20909"The Hyperlink Lightning Protector Model ALQ2-NMNFB is a Quarter Wave DC-Short suppressor operating at 2.4 GHz. This unit is designed to pass the desired frequency while suppressing lightning surges. The ALQ2-NMNFB functions like a signal filter, operating within 2300-2700 MHz. Lightning strike electrical surges which operate at low frequencies (outside the ALQ2-NMNFB's frequency range) are diverted through the protector's short-circuit to the ground.The unit's non gas tube design, multi-strike capability and fast response time make it suitable for a wide range of applications. Two ground lugs and terminals are provided directly on the lightning protector housing which provides superior grounding. Due to its superior RF performance this unit is ideal for IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n applications.Both connector ports of this unit are equally protected. This provides protection no matter which way it is installed. Either port can face the antenna and either port can face the equipment.

The ALQ2-NMNFB features a bulkhead N-Female connector with a rubber "O"-ring seal for mounting through an enclosure wall. An optional stainless steel mounting bracket, HGX-LPMOUNT01 is also available.

Note: This 1/4 wave protector is not for use with coaxial cables carrying a DC voltage such as in the case of a remote-mounted amplifier or LNA. For applications requiring DC capability please see our Gas Tube version AL-NMNFB-9.
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:07   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Hyperlink Lightning Protector for Coax

I'll let the electronic gurus respond but to me it seems like techno-babble. The idea of suppressing a lightning surge seems ridiculous on the face of it. I believe we're talking megavolts and terakilowatts of power.

The 802.11b, etc. are WiFi standards which I cannot see even applying on a boat unless its to your laptop. I look forward to hearing from our more advanced hams.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:09   #3

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Devices such as these will provide some measure of protection against currents induced by nearby strikes, but are not likely to protect in the event of a direct strike to your antenna or boat.

Its also hard to say which measure is really the best. Lightning is capricious, making it extremely hard to test different designs against each other in a controlled fashion.

So pick your poison and hope for the best!
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:28   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

SS is correct, it will HELP TO but not eliminate the lightning surge.

These items are normally used as part of package of techniques to eliminate the effects of lightning strikes of (say) communications towers and to prevent damage to the equipment in the radio racks. To get real benefit you would have to (among other things), ground your mast effectivity, ground the outer shield of your coax cable at the antenna end (to the mast) and also ground it where it exits the bottom of the mast (enters the cabin) and then fit the surge protector near the radio in question.

Now you will have a decent protection from nearby lightning strikes but still only limited protection from a small strike on the boat and almost none from a direct hit on the mast.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

I've a neighbor that had his radio fried twice aolong with electronics. Both times were induction from a near miss strike. He used to engineer cell phone towers and they had a lot of problems. He added one of these on his radio cable and claims you only lose 1/2 db on the radio signal but it will clamp a lot of joules that could save the radio. On a direct hit I should think all bets are off. The induction could come from almost everywhere at the same time. With induction from near by you might dodge a bullet.

The guess is it would have saved the radio in the two times he was hit and the radio was fried but it wasn't an explosion or on fire.. He has not been hit since. I doubt they repel lightning though.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:34   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

No matter what it does, the material quoted by the OP can hardly be the sales brochure aimed at boaters. Either the plain English portion is missing or this product is aimed at someone other than boaters that have a hard time remembering whether the rum goes in before or after the coke.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
No matter what it does, the material quoted by the OP can hardly be the sales brochure aimed at boaters. Either the plain English portion is missing or this product is aimed at someone other than boaters that have a hard time remembering whether the rum goes in before or after the coke.

Rich
Cabo's comment got me re-reading the OP's product description; now I realize it will be USELESS for your VHF/AIS and / or SSB.

I should have read more carefully the first time! In essence while this product will help to prevent lightning surges affecting a "radio", it is NOT suitable for AIS/VHF/SSB as it's frequency "window" is around 2.4 GHz.

For AIS/VHF/SSB you would need a frequency window around 150 to 170 MHZ (AIS/VHF) and 2 to 20 MHz for SSB.

I am still working on the rum before or after the coke issue!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26   #8

Lightning is very unpredictable. Just finished repairing damage caused by a direct lightning strike to the VHF antenna of a Navy 44 last night. The Metz antenna had its whip, clamp/ferrule, and top half of the internal loading coil completely blown away. No damage to cable or connectors. Only damage to radio was the two receive RF amp transistors (normal and DSC receivers) which I replaced. One of those surge protectors may very well have protected the radio. Iv'e seen this happen before with no damage to equipment as well as some causing extensive damage. You just never can tell. Iv'e had the 35' HF whip on the roof of my shop get hit which destroyed the nearby tuner and didn't damage the radio in the shop at all (Icom M710). That said, static electricity can degrade electronics components without any initial evidence.

Eric

fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning