Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Irish Sea
Posts: 1,193
Images: 6
Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

I was recommended the Hyperflex 10 coax for my masthead vhf. Losses are about 30% less than RG213. Same dimensions, no practical price difference.

However, the Hyperflex has a foam dielectric. Is it an absolute no-go to use foam in marine cables? Or with precautions the Hyperflex should be ok?
__________________

__________________
Useful as a fireproof bottom paint...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32   #2
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,830
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I was recommended the Hyperflex 10 coax for my masthead vhf. Losses are about 30% less than RG213. Same dimensions, no practical price difference.

However, the Hyperflex has a foam dielectric. Is it an absolute no-go to use foam in marine cables? Or with precautions the Hyperflex should be ok?
The gold standard is Times Microwave LMR-400 UltraFlex. It seems the Hyperflex is a knockoff? I would go for the LMR400 and pay attention to the connectors to keep moisture out. The crimp connectors from Times Microwave are very good IIRC
__________________

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:57   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Irish Sea
Posts: 1,193
Images: 6
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The gold standard is Times Microwave LMR-400 UltraFlex. It seems the Hyperflex is a knockoff? I would go for the LMR400 and pay attention to the connectors to keep moisture out. The crimp connectors from Times Microwave are very good IIRC
That's foam too:

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/DataS...LMR-400-UF.pdf
__________________
Useful as a fireproof bottom paint...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:00   #4
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,830
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Yes, that is why the performance is much better. This is why the connectors used are important as they keep moisture out.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:30   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Irish Sea
Posts: 1,193
Images: 6
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, that is why the performance is much better. This is why the connectors used are important as they keep moisture out.
I understand then, all high performance cables I found have foam dielectric. I only have to protect the antenna connection with everything I got, I won't cut the cable at the deck level.
__________________
Useful as a fireproof bottom paint...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 23:24   #6
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,830
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I understand then, all high performance cables I found have foam dielectric. I only have to protect the antenna connection with everything I got, I won't cut the cable at the deck level.
If you do cut the cable, then install N-type connectors at the splice as they are watertight
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58   #7
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 9,879
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I understand then, all high performance cables I found have foam dielectric. I only have to protect the antenna connection with everything I got, I won't cut the cable at the deck level.
Pay extra attention to make sure the foam dielectric is not compressed or otherwise distorted when running and securing any foam dielectric coax. It is not as forgiving to mishandling as say RG213 / 214.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:59   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Irish Sea
Posts: 1,193
Images: 6
Re: Hyperflex 10 low loss coax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Pay extra attention to make sure the foam dielectric is not compressed or otherwise distorted when running and securing any foam dielectric coax. It is not as forgiving to mishandling as say RG213 / 214.
Very good point. Considering what the "repairer"s done last time on my boat I should stick to an armored RG213
__________________

__________________
Useful as a fireproof bottom paint...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 75' Extension for Wilson 400 (Ultra Low Loss) mrybas General Classifieds (no boats) 0 03-06-2017 07:43
Survival ??} Loss of: Rudder, Sails, Eng., Low on Drinking Water, etc. HighFly_27 General Sailing Forum 63 26-05-2016 06:59
Good coax both for low VHF loss and corrosion svlamorocha Marine Electronics 9 10-10-2015 17:49
Coax cable loss sdrformariners Marine Electronics 0 11-03-2014 03:16

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.