Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 01:26   #1

How to connect Matsutec HA102 AIS transponder to Raymarine

The postman just delivered a Matsutec HA 102 black box AIS transponder. A good deal at only 270.00 USD to my door, but only if I can connect it to my Raymarine C-12 widescreen display

The documentation could be a bit better.

There is a RS-232 connector on the box, and looking at the CD that come with the box I am assuming that it is for programming the device??

That leaves me with a pigtail connector to figure out how to connect this all up. A task made more difficult when the boat and I are thousands of miles apart and I need to hit the dock with all the parts in hand to make this work.
There are no electronics experts where I am going so it is up to me

The pigtail must be the RS-422 interface Matsutec describes at 38400 baud and is labeled:
Power +
Power -
SD
RD
SG
TX+
TX-
RX+
RX-
NC

The Raymarine has a 19 core multicable plus 3 Seatalk connectors.
One big problem is that I do not know how the existing sensors are connected to the Raymarine. I am guessing that the Raymarine digital radar is plugged in directly to one of the Seatalk ports

It does however, look like Raymarine only has one 38400 baud input on the 19 core multicable connector. It is unlikely that anything else runs at this baud rate, so it might be possible to connect the AIS here.
Labeled:
Out - VE+
Out VE-
In VE+
Out VE-

I also see that the Raymarine supports NMEA 2000 into the Seatalk bus

What is my best and most idiot proof way to connect this black box?
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:07   #2
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Kiss 47
Re: How to connect Matsutec HA102 AIS transponder to Raymarine

Hi Hoghead.
I had a similar connection problem with my Matsutec although I needed to connect it to a usb, and had problem with how to connect the Cables
Old 21-12-2015, 05:15   #3
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe this will help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matsutec 1.png
Views:	1243
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	115404  
Attached Images

Old 21-12-2015, 08:21   #4

And how does that relate to the Raymarine nomenclature?
Old 21-12-2015, 12:30   #5
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am no expert but have you looked at
AIS TRANSCEIVER ADDITION TO MY SYSTEM - Raymarine Technical Forum
Old 22-12-2015, 06:54   #6

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

I got the same AIS on my boat, trying to get it hooked up to a Lawrence Chartplotter.
We finally managed to get it to receive but god knows if we are sending out...
It seems like you have to register the Boat (however the actual AIS finds out about that) in order to have it send your signal though...
I guess our next option will be to sail into Phuket and find somebody to help us out...
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 19:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
I got the same AIS on my boat, trying to get it hooked up to a Lawrence Chartplotter.
We finally managed to get it to receive but god knows if we are sending out...
It seems like you have to register the Boat (however the actual AIS finds out about that) in order to have it send your signal though...
I guess our next option will be to sail into Phuket and find somebody to help us out...
There is a CD in the boat that apparently is used to set up the boat parameters and program the unit. I am presuming that is what the RS-232 port on the black box is for??
My old Comor 200 used the same generic program and IIRC I had to download it.

Reading the Chinglish instructions, if the green LED light is on, then the unit is working. If the red LED is on the it is working "un-properly"

Did you connect using NMEA 0813 protocol at 38400 baud
Old 22-12-2015, 22:33   #8

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
There is a CD in the boat that apparently is used to set up the boat parameters and program the unit. I am presuming that is what the RS-232 port on the black box is for??
My old Comor 200 used the same generic program and IIRC I had to download it.

Reading the Chinglish instructions, if the green LED light is on, then the unit is working. If the red LED is on the it is working "un-properly"

Did you connect using NMEA 0813 protocol at 38400 baud
I am using NMEA 0813 and as I said, can see other boats around us. (even with no lights on...)
I saw the connection but could not yet source a cable from USB to the RS-232...
Will keep looking though, all not that easy here in Ranong...
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 19:44   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
The postman just delivered a Matsutec HA 102 black box AIS transponder. A good deal at only 270.00 USD to my door, but only if I can connect it to my Raymarine C-12 widescreen display

The documentation could be a bit better.

There is a RS-232 connector on the box, and looking at the CD that come with the box I am assuming that it is for programming the device??

That leaves me with a pigtail connector to figure out how to connect this all up. A task made more difficult when the boat and I are thousands of miles apart and I need to hit the dock with all the parts in hand to make this work.
There are no electronics experts where I am going so it is up to me

The pigtail must be the RS-422 interface Matsutec describes at 38400 baud and is labeled:
Power +
Power -
SD
RD
SG
TX+
TX-
RX+
RX-
NC

The Raymarine has a 19 core multicable plus 3 Seatalk connectors.
One big problem is that I do not know how the existing sensors are connected to the Raymarine. I am guessing that the Raymarine digital radar is plugged in directly to one of the Seatalk ports

It does however, look like Raymarine only has one 38400 baud input on the 19 core multicable connector. It is unlikely that anything else runs at this baud rate, so it might be possible to connect the AIS here.
Labeled:
Out - VE+
Out VE-
In VE+
Out VE-

I also see that the Raymarine supports NMEA 2000 into the Seatalk bus

What is my best and most idiot proof way to connect this black box?
Power +
Power -
SD --> RS-232 Send Data (Data Out)
RD <-- RS-232 Receive Data (Data Input)
SG --- RS-232 Signal Ground & RS-422 Shield
TX+ --> RS-422 Transmit Data + (Data Output)
TX- --> RS-422 Transmit Data - (Data Output)
RX+ <-- RS-422 Receive Data + (Data Input)
RX- <--) RS-422 Receive Data - (Data Input)
NC --- No connection

Out - VE+ --> RS-422 Transmit Data + (Data Output)
Out VE- --> RS-422 Transmit Data - (Data Output)
In VE+ <-- RS-422 + Receive Data + (Data Input)
In VE- <-- RS-422 - RS-422 + Receive Data - (Data Input)

Note that Data Input on one device must connect to Data Output on the other device, but + connects to +. The RS-422 cables should be twisted pair, and shielded twisted pair if the cables have to run more than one meter. If you use shielded twisted pair cable, only connect the shield at one end. If at all possible, all the electronic devices should be grounded to the same point, with heavy wire (#12 is nice). You can connect the RS-422 to any RS-422 device and the RS-232 to any RS-232 device. If you need to connect to a USB device, USB-to-RS-232 adapters are fairly cheap.

The Power + and Power - could be very useful; there are some nice RS-232 to Bluetooth adapters out there that could be used to make your AIS data available to a laptop or tablet wirelessly over a Bluetooth. There are also some RS-232 to Wi-Fi adapters that will do the same thing.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 00:17   #10

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

A little off topic, but does anyone know if the HA-102B allows the transmit function to be turned off and only function as a receiver? I want one of these units but there are times when I don't want to broadcast my position. Somalia comes to mind!

Also, has anyone used this with OpenCPN charting software? Do AIS and GPS get sent on the same pair of wires for this unit. I assume they do since there are only one pair.

Thanks!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 00:56   #11

Does anyone know where you can download a copy of the HA-102 manual? Sure would be nice if someone would scan that manual and put it online somewhere! Hint, hint!!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
I am using NMEA 0813 and as I said, can see other boats around us. (even with no lights on...)
I saw the connection but could not yet source a cable from USB to the RS-232...
Will keep looking though, all not that easy here in Ranong...
Ebay is your friend !
Old 09-08-2016, 03:20   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
A little off topic, but does anyone know if the HA-102B allows the transmit function to be turned off and only function as a receiver? I want one of these units but there are times when I don't want to broadcast my position. Somalia comes to mind!

Also, has anyone used this with OpenCPN charting software? Do AIS and GPS get sent on the same pair of wires for this unit. I assume they do since there are only one pair.

Thanks!
I have searched all the sites which list the features of these devices, and I do not see "silent mode listed." Further, there is no indication of a silent mode switch on the HA-102 box, nor is there a pin on any of the cables that is listed as "silent mode."

I have searched high and low, and cannot find a manual online anywhere for this unit, other than a short sales brochure and a direction pamphlet that shows how to program the MMSI into the device.

If you want to go cheap and need a silent mode, you might consider buying an HA-102 and a basic AIS receiver unit, and just switch the HA-102 off when you don't want to advertise your position.

To all buyers: the HA-102 is neither USCG nor FCC approved, and import to and use in the US is illegal for vessels using US registry. For vessels of foreign registry, you will need to check your local laws. The HA-102 apparently does not carry CSA approval, and therefore may not be used in or by Canadian vessels. I am not a lawyer, but I have held an FCC commercial license in the past, and would caution very strongly against using any non-approved safety device just to save a few bucks.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:52   #14

Thanks Richv!

I've ordered one and it will be here in a few weeks. I'll scan the manual into a PDF but I don't have a place to host it, but at least it will exist. Maybe I can find someone to host it.

I found the same unit on Amazon and posted a question asking if there was a way to turn the transmit function off and just use it as a receiver. I promptly received a response from a representative at Matsutec who answered "Yes" with no further explanation. I followed up to ask if it was done with a switch or through the configuration program and haven't received an answer. I suspect it's done through the configuration program similar to the HA-33A.

I had already decided that I'd continue to use my Icom black box for receive only and only turn the HA-102 on if I needed transmit. I wasn't even planning on hooking it up to OpenCPN unless I could turn the transmit off. Now, I'll make that decision when I test it a little.

I have 2 Furuno GP-31's onboard, one for backup, and consequently I have a spare GPS antenna that's never been connected. After hours of research, I found the Furuno specs for the antenna and they match exactly with the HA-017 antenna that comes with their other units. In fact, I suspect that they are probably the same antenna since the Furuno part is GPA-017. That saved me $95 on a GPS antenna. I'll still need to buy another VHF antenna but this is a very inexpensive way to add transmit capability. And when I'm done, I'll have a spare GPS and VHF antenna already mounted for an emergency.

In my situation, I'm not the least concerned about any US regulations. I'm in Malaysia and the only reason I even want the transmitting is because Thailand and just recently Indonesia is requiring them for all cruising boats. I suspect Malaysia will follow soon.

I'm really against every pleasure boat doing 6 knots transmitting on AIS in high traffic areas. There are finite limits to how many active AIS transmitters can be operation in a particular area. I think the number is somewhere around 2100. That's not very many. Particularly when you're somewhere like the Singapore Straits. Last time through there I was picking up 874 AIS targets and the system was almost worthless. There were simply to many boats transmitting and I was sometimes only getting updates on freighters doing 20 knots every 5 minutes. AIS was completely worthless at that point.

This is has to be the cheapest way to add AIS transmit capabilities and I didn't want another display cluttering up my nav station as my low power consumption computer and OpenCPN are always running. If I could have found a self contained handheld AIS system that I could pull out of drawer and turn on to appease a local official, that would have been fine with me. Can you see me now!!!

Once I get this thing, I'm going to test it thoroughly. While searching around in other places I found that some people were able to upload routes to the HA-33A using the Furuno format. It would be nice if the configuration program also has some software that will display screens for the GPS and maybe even allow uploads of routes and waypoints to the GPS portion. I suspect the hardware is probably capable, it might just not have a display interface. Once I've tested it thoroughly, I'll report back with what I've found.
Old 12-08-2016, 15:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
Thanks Richv!

I've ordered one and it will be here in a few weeks. I'll scan the manual into a PDF but I don't have a place to host it, but at least it will exist. Maybe I can find someone to host it.

I found the same unit on Amazon and posted a question asking if there was a way to turn the transmit function off and just use it as a receiver. I promptly received a response from a representative at Matsutec who answered "Yes" with no further explanation. I followed up to ask if it was done with a switch or through the configuration program and haven't received an answer. I suspect it's done through the configuration program similar to the HA-33A.

I had already decided that I'd continue to use my Icom black box for receive only and only turn the HA-102 on if I needed transmit. I wasn't even planning on hooking it up to OpenCPN unless I could turn the transmit off. Now, I'll make that decision when I test it a little.

I have 2 Furuno GP-31's onboard, one for backup, and consequently I have a spare GPS antenna that's never been connected. After hours of research, I found the Furuno specs for the antenna and they match exactly with the HA-017 antenna that comes with their other units. In fact, I suspect that they are probably the same antenna since the Furuno part is GPA-017. That saved me $95 on a GPS antenna. I'll still need to buy another VHF antenna but this is a very inexpensive way to add transmit capability. And when I'm done, I'll have a spare GPS and VHF antenna already mounted for an emergency.

In my situation, I'm not the least concerned about any US regulations. I'm in Malaysia and the only reason I even want the transmitting is because Thailand and just recently Indonesia is requiring them for all cruising boats. I suspect Malaysia will follow soon.

I'm really against every pleasure boat doing 6 knots transmitting on AIS in high traffic areas. There are finite limits to how many active AIS transmitters can be operation in a particular area. I think the number is somewhere around 2100. That's not very many. Particularly when you're somewhere like the Singapore Straits. Last time through there I was picking up 874 AIS targets and the system was almost worthless. There were simply to many boats transmitting and I was sometimes only getting updates on freighters doing 20 knots every 5 minutes. AIS was completely worthless at that point.

This is has to be the cheapest way to add AIS transmit capabilities and I didn't want another display cluttering up my nav station as my low power consumption computer and OpenCPN are always running. If I could have found a self contained handheld AIS system that I could pull out of drawer and turn on to appease a local official, that would have been fine with me. Can you see me now!!!

Once I get this thing, I'm going to test it thoroughly. While searching around in other places I found that some people were able to upload routes to the HA-33A using the Furuno format. It would be nice if the configuration program also has some software that will display screens for the GPS and maybe even allow uploads of routes and waypoints to the GPS portion. I suspect the hardware is probably capable, it might just not have a display interface. Once I've tested it thoroughly, I'll report back with what I've found.
Funny you should mention Furuno ! Look up RD33 LOL By the way the HA 33A is a much more versatile unit and you CAN turn of TX !

Tags
ais, grass, marine, raymarine