Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 08:50   #16

Re: How many holes are too many? (Through hull)

AP has NMRA 0183 capable, not 2000.
Not need to have depth an. Speed immediately but plan to update soon.
Right now using Airmar transducer for ST60s. I wonder I can use them with bus box or something provide info both ST 60 instruments and autopilot.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 10:26   #17

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Yes, I tried to set up very minimum. For now just compass mode but soon, speed and deapth are coming, so decided to do now.

I replaced my old paddle wheel with a B&G triducer when I went from analog to NMEA2000. Using that existing thru hull, I got temperature, analog speed, and depth. Then I closed off the old transducer thru hull.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4190 View Post
I replaced my old paddle wheel with a B&G triducer when I went from analog to NMEA2000. Using that existing thru hull, I got temperature, analog speed, and depth. Then I closed off the old transducer thru hull.

That's nice, I will check it out if it compatible with NMEA 0183.
It will help a lot.
Old 18-03-2017, 14:45   #19

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
That's nice, I will check it out if it compatible with NMEA 0183.
It will help a lot.

There is an 0183 adaptor you can plug into the 2000 network. You can connect to that.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:45   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The answer to you original question is is 'no more than the absolute minimum'. I can see why an autopilot may be able to use boat speed rather than SOG for greater accuracy but not anything else. What an earth does an AP want to know depth for, unless you run aground it is not going to effect steering!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 18:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4190 View Post
There is an 0183 adaptor you can plug into the 2000 network. You can connect to that.

Good, I will check it out,
Thanks again!
Old 18-03-2017, 18:27   #22

How many holes are too many? (Through hull)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The answer to you original question is is 'no more than the absolute minimum'. I can see why an autopilot may be able to use boat speed rather than SOG for greater accuracy but not anything else. What an earth does an AP want to know depth for, unless you run aground it is not going to effect steering!

Maybe alert function for shallow water.
Does not want to be beached while sleeping.
Old 18-03-2017, 21:41   #23

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

How many holes are too many? (Through hull) = ONE!!
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 21:44   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For compatibility, contact some of the various instrument manufacturers, as I'm sure they've fielded most of these questions before. And tested out quite a few options in terms of mixing systems, & or brands, in order to see what works, & what doesn't.

Also some guys, racers especially, will re-write code so that various brands can be interfaced with one another. I see threads on this from time to time over on Sailing Anarchy. And there are also some guys there involved in pro racing, who'll have a lot more depth of knowledge on the subject. Along with possibly having developed much of the hardware & software from concept/inception.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:00   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

With through hulls, generally less is more. I would however rather have ten through hulls that are easily accessible than five that are a real pain in the neck to get to. If you can't get to them easily you can't inspect them nor is one likely to close them after every use. If it is a simple five second task to open a door and close the through hull then one will inspect and close it every chance they can.

In your case two it sounds like you are not adding any through hulls. If you need to add two new ones you can seal up the old ones. Just make sure you have good access to them.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
For compatibility, contact some of the various instrument manufacturers, as I'm sure they've fielded most of these questions before. And tested out quite a few options in terms of mixing systems, & or brands, in order to see what works, & what doesn't.

Also some guys, racers especially, will re-write code so that various brands can be interfaced with one another. I see threads on this from time to time over on Sailing Anarchy. And there are also some guys there involved in pro racing, who'll have a lot more depth of knowledge on the subject. Along with possibly having developed much of the hardware & software from concept/inception.

Thanks, I will do that. Ya, like NKE has their own # for Airmar products.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
With through hulls, generally less is more. I would however rather have ten through hulls that are easily accessible than five that are a real pain in the neck to get to. If you can't get to them easily you can't inspect them nor is one likely to close them after every use. If it is a simple five second task to open a door and close the through hull then one will inspect and close it every chance they can.

In your case two it sounds like you are not adding any through hulls. If you need to add two new ones you can seal up the old ones. Just make sure you have good access to them.

Thanks,
Yes, basically I do not want to make more holes, for now I may have to have one more.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:44   #28

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Been there, done that! my boat came into my possession sporting 22 thruhulls below the waterline (most unused) and when I finally finish this spring, there will only be 7!!
Apparently Swiss cheese floats!
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:57   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Hers the maximum I would be content with:
A. 1 oversized inlet feeding a manifold for galley sink, vanity sink, head, any deck wash spigots.
B. 1 inlet for inboard engine. I would use the manifold but it might draw enough to impede other uses.
C. Galley sink. Vanity sink drains to galley
D. Holding tank drain. Head goes to holding tank, no Y-valve.

cooling water">Engine cooling water goes out the stern with exhaust.
Cockpit drain goes out the stern.
Bilge pump goes out the stern.

Depthsounder would be bedded in silicone to the interior face of the hull unless I just couldn’t make it work. If I was getting accurate depths to 150’ that would be enough.

If I had a knotmeter that I couldn’t transom mount I would consider a thru-hull for that. The reason the have a direct sensing knotmeter rather than just using GPS data is to get better feedback on the effect of trimming sails and to help determine current effects. By comparing speed thru the water and heading to speed over ground and course supplied by GPS current effects can be determined.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull