Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 10:37   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
below deck autopilot for bluewater

Our pretorien came with both a Sailomat windvane and a Raymarine wheel pilot. The previous owner thought the same thing, that by having a good windvane, they could spend less on the autopilot.

While crossing the Atlantic, they found that the windvane wind paddle was somehow being interfered by the solar panel, which is high up above the bimini. He did not want to perform surgery on the paddle mid ocean, so they switched to the autopilot. It did not last the rest of the way to the Azores.

He fashioned a smaller paddle once in port, so the problem is solved, and might have been solved before they left if they had experienced those conditions, but hey, they did not.

So while I was thinking along the same lines, I want to put a good below-decks autopilot in place, as it seems like having a reliable backup for the wind vane is important.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
An ideal situation would be a good windvane, and an electric A/P. In this situation you could save a few bucks by downsizing the E A/P, for windless days........i2f
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:19   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post
............One thing no one has mentioned yet is the power draw of an auto pilot, remember to consider that as part of your choice.
I should probably update. My original 1973 Benmar drive uses a 1/4hp motor to pump hydraulic fluid. In 1988 I "married" the drive to a Nexus control head. Anyway, I can't leave mine on long distance unless my wind generator, hanging in the often spoiled air in front of my mizzen, is really putting out. I'm sure not many are using a 37 year old autopilot, but mine is always spot-on excellent. We often cruise the Bahamas, though I agree the needs are the same elsewhere, and we always use the autohelm for at least occasional breaks, sail tending and raising the anchor single-handed, etc.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:38   #48

My helm center is marked and I can read how much helm is being applied... as in weather helm to keep the boat on coarse. What does a rudder angle indicator tell me that I can't tell by looking at the position of the CL of the rudder???
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 15:16   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I have hydraulic steering and two helms. Marking centre does nothing useful so the gauge tells me where the rudder is ... sort of. Mine doesn't seem terrible accurate or responsive for some reason.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 14:12   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
Just finished 1000 miles of hand steering. Five guys in the crew. We all agree - Autopilot, don't leave home without one!
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:00   #51

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
My autopilot failed with with about a week to go on my last Bahamas cruise. Going solo with 30 knots of wind meant I couldn't leave the wheel for more than about 15 seconds at a time. Sailing all day that way, got very tiresome, very fast. I really can't imagine going into a cruise without one.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:29   #52

Boat: Sceptre 41
RTB:

I think Brent Swain's book has a section on how to build your own windvane. After sailing my boat for four years w/o an AP I have a hardtime imagining sailing w/o one. The worst I had to do was 16 hours on the helm. It sucked and the weather was cold and miserable but I lived with it. An AP would have made that day easy.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:30   #53
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

There are ways to combine the wind vane and AP -- I've seen them on boats but honestly don't know all the details. We always said we'd look into it if our AP crapped out (we had a Monitor, hydraulic AP and wheel AP -- use the Monitor whenever we sailed, hydraulic AP if motoring).

Anyways, if you have a Monitor or other wind vane, it's possible to hook up a tiller pilot to where the wind blade goes when you're using it, and let the "vane system" do all the work. It's cheaper than having both, but you give up redundancy.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:58   #54

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
$300 tiller pilot married to Monitor. Low power draw with lots of power to helm.
Old 23-11-2010, 16:00   #55
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Thanks Charlie. I'll add the AP to my list. With only the wife and I, it will be tough to get along without one.

I only have 3 group 27 batteries in my house bank. I'm thinking that may not be enough, and not sure where I could add more.

The vane would solve that problem, but we want to add davits...sooo I need a bigger boat.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 16:09   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
With only the wife and I, it will be tough to get along without one.
The good news is that picking up an autopilot is a lot cheaper than picking up a second wife.
Old 23-11-2010, 16:13   #57
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
She never lets me drive now. I'm guessing that might change, huh?
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 16:15   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
She never lets me drive now. I'm guessing that might change, huh?
Yeah, just as soon as she hears you want a bigger boat.
Old 24-11-2010, 07:00   #59
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Quote:
I would like to direct this to the Bahamas cruisers out there. Do you use your AP most of the time? Or would you be happy without one?
I sail either solo or doublehanded and find the AP well worth the power requirements, temperament, reliability problems and cost. The electric AP does well as does the wind vane. While wind vanes cost more and take time to install and setup properly, they are remarkably simple and very reliable. Having sailed for a week without the AP, I got pretty good at balancing the sails but never got the boat to sail herself.

As for the Bahamas, I use it a lot. I have a wired remote so I can sit on the bow and wind my way through coral heads, shallows/sand bores, and other thin water obstructions. In deeper water, I can fish, do my hourly navigation chores, or simply relax.

Being freed from the chore of steering in a real plus - something I miss a lot when I'm on land.
Old 24-11-2010, 08:51   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
$300 tiller pilot married to Monitor. Low power draw with lots of power to helm.
But is the bird a qualified helmsman?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot