Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 05:57   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Hook up SH 2200GX AIS to iPad?

I did a search here ( honest) and didn't immediately find the answer to this.

We've got an iPad with GPS running Navionics Caribbean and South America database. We haven't settled on the main chart plotter decision yet, and have been using this locally.

I just installed a new Standard Horizon 2200 VHF/AIS/GPS on the boat. I'm not very well educated yet on the iPad stuff, being a long time PC guy who hates touch screens. Is there an easy way to put the NMEA data from the SH AIS onto the iPad? There doesn't seem to be enough connectors for inputs. This iPad has the "lightning" conector on it.

Or is this something that needs a PC with USB ports?
Old 13-07-2014, 06:05   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Hook up SH 2200GX AIS to iPad?

I think your only chance is to get an NMEA/wifi multiplexer. I don't know of any hardwire solution.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 06:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Madman wifi connector see Home - Madman Marine Electronics

This throws the AIS data out over wifi, the iPad paints the data on iNavx

Alike as hell and cheap
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 21:01   #4

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I did a search here ( honest) and didn't immediately find the answer to this.

We've got an iPad with GPS running Navionics Caribbean and South America database. We haven't settled on the main chart plotter decision yet, and have been using this locally.

I just installed a new Standard Horizon 2200 VHF/AIS/GPS on the boat. I'm not very well educated yet on the iPad stuff, being a long time PC guy who hates touch screens. Is there an easy way to put the NMEA data from the SH AIS onto the iPad? There doesn't seem to be enough connectors for inputs. This iPad has the "lightning" conector on it.

Or is this something that needs a PC with USB ports?
The Standard-Horizon GX2200 provides an NMEA-0183 output of AIS data. I don't think there are any tablets running any operating system that come with NMEA-0183 ports. Maybe you could find a tablet with an RS-422 serial port built in. Or maybe a tablet that could use a USB-to-RS-422 serial adaptor. But I don't think you really want a tablet with a lot of wires running to it. The appeal of the tablet is to not have any wires connected. As suggested, the best approach is to put the AIS data onto a wireless link.

Note that the device suggested (MADMAN ELECTRONICS) should be ordered for 38400-bps, not the standard 4800-bps.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 04:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

FWIW if you have some experience with DOS level programming, with some difficulty and help the baud rate can be changed. What does that mean? Buy the Madman device now for the AIS data. If you move to a full network, connect the Madman to a basic multiplexer's listening port, lower the baud rate (if needed) and you get wifi of all data.

Not affiliated with Madman
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 14-07-2014, 05:23   #6
One of Those

I'd have to dust off some memory, but yeah, I do have some DOS level programming experience. We're talking about the Madman NTWB1 model, right?
Old 14-07-2014, 06:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yes that is the one. For simplicity order the 38400 for the HS AIS data.

FYI- if you have a chart plotter on the boat you can run the AIS data to the plotter and piggyback the wifi adapter to the same connections. This gives you AIS on two locations. I keep the iPad below decks and in low visibility bring it on deck so the lore eyes can easily see targets.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:30   #8

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

I cannot imagine that the NMEA-0183 to WiFi device runs on DOS. Why would you need knowledge of Microsoft DOS to operate it?
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:14   #9
One of Those

we haven't settled on a chart plotter yet. I tried talking to a couple local "experts" but they're totally into the integrated everything on one display mind set. I want all the systems to be stand alone with as much redundancy as possible. I'll add the chart plotter last, and want to be sure that whether it works or not will not affect anything else that I am looking at in any way.
Old 14-07-2014, 10:23   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't know of any chart plotters that do not incorporate and integrate most other data on the boat. Many will offer autopilot control of their brand of autopilot, and all will output autopilot navigation data to be used. Whether you hook these data sources up, or look at them when hooked up, is up to you - but they are all going to be able to use the data.

Of course, you can get separate chart plotter and radars. You will miss out on a radar overlay on a chart and need to have space for two displays.

A chart plotter is pretty useless without integrating the GPS, so I imagine that is a given for you. Why would you not want it to also have boat speed, depth, wind, etc also integrated to it?

If you get NMEA2000 gear, it is going to be almost impossible not to integrate all of the data sources, and you will be going to the trouble of shutting down individual PGN recognition in the chart plotter just to keep those data from showing up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:53   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a mobile device, why hard-tether it?

The idea is to stay mobile right?

Check your software and I believe it will accept nmea via wifi.

There are many RSC-to-wifi adaptors around. Just google them out.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I cannot imagine that the NMEA-0183 to WiFi device runs on DOS. Why would you need knowledge of Microsoft DOS to operate it?
No it does not run on DOS, but to change it you need some old-school skills. The question was just a benchmark.

That is why it is sold off-the-shelf as HS or not. When I got mine, I had to change the Baud.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
we haven't settled on a chart plotter yet. I tried talking to a couple local "experts" but they're totally into the integrated everything on one display mind set. I want all the systems to be stand alone with as much redundancy as possible. I'll add the chart plotter last, and want to be sure that whether it works or not will not affect anything else that I am looking at in any way.
I'm with you on the stand alone displays, less chance of loosing it all. I think they call it silos of information with integration running over the top.

AIS integration to the plotter and iPad on my boat are redundant. I can lose either or both plotting devices and still receive and see AIS on the radio, still have depth from a separate system, and any surviving plotting device. If I lose the radio, still plotting and still have depth.

As Colemj said going 2000 automatically integrates everything. But I would still have the separate displays and the bits/pieces to separate the data. I've learned the hard way that if there is one critical component, no matter what the ^%#%!! engineers say... No matter how "trust me this is bullet proof" the design is....That component will fail!

Murphy simply ensures that the failure happens at the worst time.

Tags
ais, Ipad