Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 22:03   #1

Home power supply for SSB

I have just bought a new Icom M802 SSB and AT 140 tuner. I would like to set it up in my home so I can get familar with its operation before installing it on the boat, where I would have only infrequent access to it. Can I use a 120 volt ac to 12volt dc converter to power the radio? These seem to put out about 5 watts of dc power, which I am hoping sufficient for receive only ( I know I can't transmit with the radio from my home without a ham license, which I don't have). I don't want to damage the radio and I'm not sure that the power characteristics from a cheap converter are similar enough to a battery. I intend to run a length of wire out the window for an antenna and one to the ground. I am not transmitting, so I gather the antenna is not that critical. Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:18   #2

Re: home power supply for SSB

You have to key to tune though. So you won't here much hear without tuning.

A battery + charger would be best.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Can't I use the converter to also power the antenna tuner?
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:47   #4
Eternal Member

Any of the Astron power supplies would do for receive only. They are excellent quality, regulated 12VDC power supplies used for powering electronic gear, including radios.

They come in various sizes, with and without metering. You can get one for under $50 which would do for receive only. 10A, 12A, 15A, etc. Note that these could easily power a VHF transceiver in addition to the M802.

For a bit more you could get one which would be sufficient for transmitting as well, in case you get a ham license. For this, you'd need one of the 30A or 35A or higher amperage models.

Look on eBay for good used ones. Be sure to get one which has been tested and which looks like new, not an abused junker.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:48   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

12Volt battery would be the simple way to go.... ashore I use one of these ( the 825 ) but that would be a bit expensive for what you want to do. Fixed Voltage Triple Output Linear Mode - DC Power Supplies - Product - Manson Engineering Industrial Ltd

The AT 140 takes its power from the radio , in the control cable the black and red are power, white and green wires are data.
Old 18-03-2017, 22:53   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

A trickle charger and a smallish 12 volt gel cell would probably be an easy and cheap option. This way the trickle charger only needs to be a low power device, 10 watts would do.
Old 18-03-2017, 22:55   #7
Eternal Member

Re: antennas, a wire antenna attached to the AT-140 would be fine, just get it up in the air and away from structures as much as possible. A long wire to the trees nearby would be good.

Any wire would do. I prefer insulated THHN wire, available at any Home Depot. AWG 12 or larger would be best for strength and durability, but any size would work.

You don't have to physically connect with the ground. A bunch of random-length insulated wire would be fine. I use a big bunch of it thrown into a window well, and it works like gangbusters.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:57   #8

Boat: J/42

The tuner gets its power from the M802. You don't need a ham license to transmit, but you do need a ships station license. I.e. You're not supposed to transmit from land.

Anyway, I did set up that way for testing stuff I bought from craigslist before installing it on the boat. I think it's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Genssi-Power-...BBRYYXMWEK7X21
It's got a little pot you can use to turn the voltage up to 13.5V
I don't think you actually have to key to tune - the radio generates a low-power signal itself when you push the "tune" button, IIRC. But I would have to go back to the manual to be sure.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:57   #9

Park your car outside your window.... lift hood/bonnet.......

Probably best not to start your car with the radio connected....
Old 19-03-2017, 01:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Park your car outside your window.... lift hood/bonnet.......

Probably best not to start your car with the radio connected....

And the way the 802 sucks power, probably best not to transmit for too long between restarting the car engine. (When you get to the transmit stage)

I do applaud the idea of familiarising yourself with the radio. I've had ours for a year or so and I managed to get myself in a complete fluster using it this morning. I completely forgot how to manually adjust the frequency in HAM mode and had to google it on the phone. Lucky I had phone cover at the anchorage.
Old 19-03-2017, 01:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
And the way the 802 sucks power, probably best not to transmit for too long between restarting the car engine. (When you get to the transmit stage)

I do applaud the idea of familiarising yourself with the radio. I've had ours for a year or so and I managed to get myself in a complete fluster using it this morning. I completely forgot how to manually adjust the frequency in HAM mode and had to google it on the phone. Lucky I had phone cover at the anchorage.
Shudda just phoned another ham......

Never having been land mobile with HF I don't know if there are issues with voltage spikes upon starting the engine.

Its never been an issue for me afloat... probably as most times when I give the Green Machine a kick in the guts the voltage is pretty low anyway.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:05   #12

Quote:
Shudda just phoned another ham......
I was too busy trying to contact one on the radio.

Quote:

Never having been land mobile with HF I don't know if there are issues with voltage spikes upon starting the engine.
Not sure if it is urban myth, but there has long been a rumour that jump starting modern cars risks wiping out computers on the car GIVING the jump start. Enough so that the local auto parts places stock jumper leads with voltage spike suppressors. It could all be a marketing beat-up to sell us more crap, but discretion is the better part of valour I reckon, particularly when potentially expensive repairs are involved.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

I'm not sure if this is the case. I THOUGHT tuning only matters for transmitting.

But I am a pretty Green eggs and HAM, so I might be wrong.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I was too busy trying to contact one on the radio.

Not sure if it is urban myth, but there has long been a rumour that jump starting modern cars risks wiping out computers on the car GIVING the jump start. Enough so that the local auto parts places stock jumper leads with voltage spike suppressors. It could all be a marketing beat-up to sell us more crap, but discretion is the better part of valour I reckon, particularly when potentially expensive repairs are involved.
Please try and keep up with the herd... faced with dodgy propagation today's ham will use the satphone, phone his chum, and select another band

Back when I had the day job we were forever toasting brand new Fords.. told to stop jump starting them... I think we lost the contract in the end. Friend in Auckland the other week had a flat batt... AA jump started it... rendered vehicle undriveable... Fiesta... they ( Fiestas ) have lots of probs.

However I think it can be safely done... earth to body not neg terminal ( or was it the other way round )etc etc... do not act on this advice but I think it is do-able.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:01   #15

Quote:
Please try and keep up with the herd... faced with dodgy propagation today's ham will use the satphone, phone his chum, and select another band
Oh great! Now I have to buy a SATPHONE!?

But this morning ALL of the HAM frequencies were full of some kind of international "I can talk further on my radio than you can talk on your radio" HAM competition. When I turned on the radio I actually thought I had fried it and it was receiving all frequencies at once. So changing frequencies probably wouldn't have helped, even once I had figured out how to do so.

Carrier pigeon might be simpler, there's plenty of space on the foredeck for some cages, and if all else fails I reckon there could be good eatin' on one of them birds. Probably tastes just like chicken.

Quote:
Back when I had the day job we were forever toasting brand new Fords.. told to stop jump starting them... I think we lost the contract in the end. Friend in Auckland the other week had a flat batt... AA jump started it... rendered vehicle undriveable... Fiesta... they ( Fiestas ) have lots of probs.

However I think it can be safely done... earth to body not neg terminal ( or was it the other way round )etc etc... do not act on this advice but I think it is do-able.
a) Serves you right for working on a Ford
b) I thought the Fiesta was powered by a rubber band. Sure felt like it when I drove one.
c) The whole order of battery connections, I thought, was to prevent you from exploding one in your face, not the outcome the average Good Samaritan wants as a reward for stopping to help a stranded motorist (even if they do drive a Ford Fiesta.)

Tags
ssb