Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2017, 16:13   #31
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: home power supply for SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I used a motorcycle battery and small charger brick on my boat to isolate the radio from all noise.

Neat!

Old 19-03-2017, 16:16   #32

Why would you need an antenna tuner in receive mode only?... Useless. A simple wire attached to your antenna receptacle, the longer the better, will do nicely(forget about coax. balun, and all the stuff you only need in transmit mode). Further more, power consomption will be very small en receive mode: No high current. So a small battery, a cheap car charger will do the job. As long as you don't try to Xmit, or else, your output diodes will die.

Old 19-03-2017, 17:10   #33

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

you don't need an antenna tuner to receive / most marine radios have enough propagation built in / before we fitted a hf marine antenna to receive hf weather on 8176 a length of coax with the shielding stripped back on the end with a small alligator clip soldered on to the centre wire then clipped to an uninsulated backstay / worked well for years // you may have qrm (white noise) problems with some power supplies running your radio directly unless they are built for radio use / on the boat we have to unplug the 12volt phone charger and tv power supply to quieten down the white noise (qrm) to improve the signal / an auto tuner draws a lot of amps during the tuning stage depending on the output of the radio can be 18-25amps draw / if you are setting up to transmit a marine antenna + coax on a roof gutter mount or wall mount is the easiest way / you then need the earth side of your rig /the easiest way to do that is kiss counterpoise earth system built by yacht owners in the usa (ebay) / you don't need an earth connected to receive (if someone hits the transmit button for a prolonged period without proper earth and tuned antenna it will damage the finals in the set) modern radios will receive ok with the mike removed (safer) / if you didn't already have your radio I would suggest a sangean ssb receiver which runs off torch batteries or power supply / can be used for listening entertainment and mp3 input as well / good luck with your project
Old 19-03-2017, 17:36   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That's the longest sentence I've ever seen.

Benjamin Franklin
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 17:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Knockabout, you have a few things in your post that are a bit misleading.

Most marine radios don't have propagation built in! Propagation is controlled by factors external to the equipment... like the ionosphere, mostly.

You can indeed use the uninsulated rigging for a receiving antenna, or a transmitting antenna for that matter (with a tuner), but you don't need co-ax to make the connection. Any bit of wire will work fine..

QRM isn't white noise. QRM is interference from another station. QRN is interference from external noise, either natural as in lightning induced static crashes, or man made as in that from fluorescent light ballasts or some switching power supplies. It may present as "white noise" or other manifestations, all of them irritating!

Auto tuners don't utilize full power while tuning. They use very minimal power, and the DC load will not be anything like 18-25 amps. Typically, including the base load of running the radio it will be less than 5 amps, and that for only a few seconds.

Most marine radios that I'm familiar with won't be damaged by transmitting into a mis-matched load or without a ground connection. They automatically ramp back the power to a safe level when presented with such loads.

73 de Jim N9GFT/VK4GFT, who got his first ham license in 1950
Old 19-03-2017, 18:23   #36

I'm no HAM guru but some of knockabout's post is a bit dubious. And yet again, did not read the OP's post properly to note that the OP already as an Icom 802. As for simple ground plane stuff, the Kiss is one option, but on Sunday I dangled a piece of old copper water pipe over the side for a ground plane and, if the reports were to be believed, managed to send a good legible signal to most of the bottom right corner of Australia, despite an ongoing HAM Dx comp. As for the auto tune power load, according to the various power meters on my setup it uses about 10 watts for around 2 seconds (Note that is Watts not Amps) to tune the auto tuner on the rig which is a bit under 1 amp.
Old 20-03-2017, 03:17   #37

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That's the longest sentence I've ever seen.
Be thankful he isn't Welsh...
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 04:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Re: Home power supply for SSB

This is what I use to power my Ham xcvr while on the dock:
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
Old 20-03-2017, 22:31   #39

Thanks for all the help! I have now ordered a Newstyle brand 12 volt dc power supply. It can be set to or 13.8 volts output and can handle up to 30amps. $CDN30.00 on Amazon, which is quite a bit cheaper, and more portable, than a battery and charger.
Old 20-03-2017, 22:47   #40

Crickey! That's a good price for 30 amps.
Old 20-03-2017, 22:53   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Definitely a really good price... I hope that it isn't such an RFI generator that you can't use it for rx. If it is quiet, a real bargain!

Jim
Old Yesterday, 15:19   #42

I am wonderring if using a regular 12V DC car battery and a charger would do it ?

Would the charger introduce too much noise to the power line preventing good reception and clear xmit ?
Old Yesterday, 15:58   #43

Boat: Sabre 42

Wow. Lots of responses. Some observations that I believe are correct:
Reception requires much less power than transmission. A low AMP-HOUR battery may be sufficient for reception only.
Some ICOM radios, perhaps the 802, shut down if the battery voltage falls below a critical level. That level is given somewhere in ICOM documents, but I think it is about 11 V. You can check this out.
You should not transmit on ship stations channels without a restricted radio operators license and a ship's license. And you aren't on a boat.
The 802 is probably channeled mostly or entirely for marine bands, not HAM bands, or only a very few HAM bands.
For good and simple reception you might want to look at Beverage antennas. Easy and simple. Horizontal. Not vertical. Check the ARRL website.
ICOM marine SSB radios have been pulled from the US market and are not to be sold for export in other countries because, I believe, the FCC wants them to have DSC (Digital Selective Calling) capabilities. I believe the market value of you 802 has temporarily spiked upwards. I think ICOM has some plans.
I am on a similar path with my boat. I have a ICOM 710 SSB radio and a backstay antenna and an ICOM automatic tuner, but I am adding an ICOM 7100 HF/VHF/UHF transceiver and an antenna switch so that I can do marine SSB and HAM SSB,RTTY, CW etc. And I got a General ticket (not that difficult) to do so.
Plus, check out Blackcat systems website for MAC software, including NAVTEX. Far cheaper than a PRACTOR modem.
Old Yesterday, 16:36   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star View Post
The 802 is probably channeled mostly or entirely for marine bands, not HAM bands, or only a very few HAM bands.
It is shipped with transmit limited to marine bands (receive open). A simple button-push procedure removes the transmit constraints. Which means it can transmit on many prohibited frequencies - so care is required.

Quote:
ICOM marine SSB radios have been pulled from the US market and are not to be sold for export in other countries because, I believe, the FCC wants them to have DSC (Digital Selective Calling) capabilities.
This has already been covered in a recent thread. It was pulled in the US because it didn't meet the FCC type-acceptance requirements (relating to DSC). Sale in other countries was prohibited because it was deemed to not meet their standards, not ours. Every nation has their own interpretation of the international treaty; the US FCC has a more liberal interpretation than most. For example, European standards don't allow a non-compulsory ships radio to be used for ham bands (the FCC does) and so they discourage radios that can open other frequencies.

Quote:
I am on a similar path with my boat. I have a ICOM 710 SSB radio and a backstay antenna and an ICOM automatic tuner, but I am adding an ICOM 7100 HF/VHF/UHF transceiver and an antenna switch so that I can do marine SSB and HAM SSB,RTTY, CW etc. And I got a General ticket (not that difficult) to do so.
In the past firmware has been available for the Icom 700/710 that allows for ham operation. If you are not planning on using VHF/UHF then save yourself some money and just use the 710.

Quote:
Plus, check out Blackcat systems website for MAC software, including NAVTEX. Far cheaper than a PRACTOR modem.
I used BlackCat Systems software in the past; it is very slick for receive capabilities. AFAIK it doesn't do email. In the past the Pactor modem ($$$$) was necessary for email with the Airmail program, on both ham and marine bands. These days there is a much less expensive alternative for hams: Winlink Express. It only requires DAC/ADC-USB dongle between the radio's audio in/out and your computer's USB port. It should work on the Mac with WINE, otherwise use Windows in a virtual machine or Boot Camp.

Greg, KF7BW
Old Yesterday, 17:27   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
I am wonderring if using a regular 12V DC car battery and a charger would do it ?

Would the charger introduce too much noise to the power line preventing good reception and clear xmit ?

That's pretty much what I have done in the past but the price the op quoted for the power supply is so good that I'm would wait to see how they find it performs before I fiddled around with batteries again. FWIW I had no apparent noise problems from a little 10 watt power transformer coupled to a spare UPS battery I had lying around. But in the urban environment the background radio noise is terrible anyway.

Tags
ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: