Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2017, 03:14   #16

Location: Back on Campo el Pinguino.. Boat in Puerto Williams, Chile
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Re: home power supply for SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh great! Now I have to buy a SATPHONE!?

But this morning ALL of the HAM frequencies were full of some kind of international "I can talk further on my radio than you can talk on your radio" HAM competition. When I turned on the radio I actually thought I had fried it and it was receiving all frequencies at once. So changing frequencies probably wouldn't have helped, even once I had figured out how to do so.

Carrier pigeon might be simpler, there's plenty of space on the foredeck for some cages, and if all else fails I reckon there could be good eatin' on one of them birds. Probably tastes just like chicken.

a) Serves you right for working on a Ford
b) I thought the Fiesta was powered by a rubber band. Sure felt like it when I drove one.
c) The whole order of battery connections, I thought, was to prevent you from exploding one in your face, not the outcome the average Good Samaritan wants as a reward for stopping to help a stranded motorist (even if they do drive a Ford Fiesta.)

You weren't the VK5 on the Comedy Net this morning? If not why not!!!!!

Yes 'contesting' is a pain in the buttocks... interferes with serious discusions on marine nets about rebuilding vintage tractors....

Not my Ford.... but my Citroen C4 has an interesting transmission issue - 'Yes they all do that' sez the dealer - of having a quiet hiccup when you plant the foot upon entering roundabouts... you know... when you suddenly find you have a 'stand on' B-Double on a steady bearing on your starboard bow....

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 03:25   #17
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Yes, I was the VK5 this morning. I was hearing most of the Net ok but some of the quieter voices were hard to hear behind all the callsign broadcasts.

I must admit I was totally confused by the end and had filled three pages of my notebook trying to keep up with who was who and who was taking.

But you probably figured that out already. :^)

Old 19-03-2017, 03:28   #18

Regarding the C4 trans, sounds a lot like my Volvo which is the one where you put the foot down hard, the turbo spools up and then trans promptly explodes. (A bit like a wad of C4)

On balance, I think I'd prefer your Citroen.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
. interferes with serious discusions on marine nets about rebuilding vintage tractors....

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I had tuned in to the Tasmanian Farmers Net.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:34   #20

Location: Back on Campo el Pinguino.. Boat in Puerto Williams, Chile
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yes, I was the VK5 this morning. I was hearing most of the Net ok but some of the quieter voices were hard to hear behind all the callsign broadcasts.

I must admit I was totally confused by the end and had filled three pages of my notebook trying to keep up with who was who and who was taking.

But you probably figured that out already. :^)
Golly, full call and all, well done....you had a good signal into NE Victoria, pity about the contesters... that was unusual and a bit of a weekend thing combined with 'interesting' propagation. Jim Cate was net control... dunno who is up in the morning.... probably Jim Cate

I was 'short time' .. had to go and chase cows ... will be up in the AM... speak then if the ionisphere behaves
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:08   #21

Well the OP of this somewhat derailed thread should be happy about the good signal because I am using the same make and model of radio.

And now I just figured out Jim's cryptic cow comments too. That's a weight off my mind.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:00   #22

Samlex makes some great switching supplies. BTW, the antenna makes all the difference in the world and will depend on your listening frequencies, ie, its length, feedpoint Z, feedline used, etc... just an end-fed long wire fed into your AT-4 should be fine; SWR not as critical if you're not going to transmit (a very good idea if you are not licensed).
73, Jim, AB1BR
Old 19-03-2017, 09:40   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

As a way long-time Ham operator ( extra class), let me give some advice:

1. Ham radio is great for fun, occasional contacts, fiddling around, etc. It's not reliable as in "emergency" reliable. You hope someone hears you. Sat phones are.
2. Ham radios can be invaluable as back-up if the sat phone fails. But, the fiddling part is something you have to be prepared for. While modern ham radios are pretty much appliances at this point, there are still some fiddling around necessary to use them, protocols to learn, etc. You don't want to learn this when the bilge is overflowing and you have a 4 alarm crisis.
3. Getting a (basic) ham license is easier than learning to set a spinnaker. Way easier. Not near as much fun, nor as exhilarating. I would advise getting a ham license for a couple of reasons: (a.) you'll learn some basic theory which could come in handy, (b.) you'll meet some people who can help you out getting started, and (c.) becoming a ham will provide you with a community of folks who are always there for you.

You intuitively figured out that sailing and doing ham radio at the same time are kind of like riding a bicycle and playing the piano at the same time. So great for getting the rig home.

The advice about the Astron power supply is great. You should check online for the manual for the rig you have, and see how many amps it draws. That's the size of the power supply you need. They aren't cheap.

The CPA (cheapest person around) solution is to get your battery charger, hook it up to a car battery or better yet the deep cycle battery from your boat, put it on low or maintenance charge, and then hook your rig up to that. You shouldn't have a problem assuming you have a 40 or 50 amp hour battery... measure the charge level every half hour or so. In receive mode,most rigs draw less than an amp.

Ok, to the tough part: the antenna. When you are on dry land, you have to have some kind of antenna. A long wire run to the antenna tuner will do. String it up to a tree or as high off the ground as you can get it. 40 or 50 feet minimum. Ground your rig to the AC grounds (3rd wire) using the ground connector on the back of the unit.

Warning: using this set up near a computer or other sensitive electronic device can wreak havoc, because the minute you hit transmit, or the tune button, RF energy is radiated from the back of the radio. Modern computers are not sufficiently shielded to withstand this. They probably won't be fried, but they most definitely will react. You should probably turn them off as a precaution. In my "ham" setup, I have a piece of coax cable running from the rig out a window and about 20 feet to where I have my long-wire antenna. The braid on the coax is grounded. That isolates the RF inside the cable until it's away from the sensitive computer equipment. I suggest something similar.

Best of luck!
Carl AA7ZZ
Old 19-03-2017, 09:51   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Any of the Astron power supplies would do for receive only. They are excellent quality, regulated 12VDC power supplies used for powering electronic gear, including radios.

They come in various sizes, with and without metering. You can get one for under $50 which would do for receive only. 10A, 12A, 15A, etc. Note that these could easily power a VHF transceiver in addition to the M802.

For a bit more you could get one which would be sufficient for transmitting as well, in case you get a ham license. For this, you'd need one of the 30A or 35A or higher amperage models.

Look on eBay for good used ones. Be sure to get one which has been tested and which looks like new, not an abused junker.

Bill
WA6CCA
I found an Astron 35 amp model in like new condition at the local recycling yard. It was sitting next to the metal pile to be crushed.
I got it for free, thinking I could fix it.
After taking it home I didn't need to do a thing to it as it worked perfectly !

"The Flat Earth Society Has Members Around the globe"

senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:17   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Power Supply?

At home I use a Daiwa SS-330W power supply for my ham rig. It puts out 30A and the voltage can be adjusted from 0-20V. I have it set to 13.8V

One of many distributers: Daiwa SS-330W Power Supply SS330W
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:08   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have an old 12VDC power supply (I think Astron) gathering dust in my brother's basement in Bend, OR. I used it with my old ham rig, so should work just fine for the M802. PM me if you're interested.

Greg
Old 19-03-2017, 14:32   #27

Hey guys. Did anyone READ the original post. The OP does not want to transmit so why fork out $$$ for a massive power supply?
Old 19-03-2017, 15:44   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Seems like we're into thread drift now, but i would like to comment on what carlheintz wrote about ham not being emergency reliable. It is, in a sense, and it is easier if you are used to "fiddling" with it. You have a large choice of bands, and there are hams awake and "practicing" 24/7. If you can hear one, you can make a "Mayday" call, and they will work you, even if you are not a licensed ham. In fact we did relay such a call one time, and the man was saved. As long as hams are encouraged all over the world, active in times of natural disasters, and many active daily for entertainment, they are just waiting to be able to try and help you out.

So, yes, if your satphone account is not changed without your knowledge while you are offshore (Rebel Heart), it may work and give you instant gratification, but please understand, actual physical help may be hours or days away, in any event.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 15:51   #29

And where else can you learn so much about vintage tractor restoration or poking cows?
Old 19-03-2017, 16:12   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I used a motorcycle battery and small charger brick on my boat to isolate the radio from all noise.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: