Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 05:56   #1

Boat: ketch, 51'
Hf weather HELP...

Greetings
With the help of many in this forum, I got a tecsun pl880 in hopes of getting weather reports.
I've tried but yet not been able to get anything !
Acquired list of frequencies and times, the closest to my location noa 12788khz and Nada,zero... with wire antenna, w/o, nights and days, surely I am doing something wrong.
I turn again to the knowledge base in this forum, please help😥
Thanks in advance for your response
Mario
Old 11-10-2016, 06:14   #2

Re: Hf weather HELP...

Quote:
the closest to my location noa 12788khz
This is your problem ... Do not choose the closest (if it is at 12MHz) ... Best bet to try would be a station 100-1000km away and a frequency around 8MHz ... Should work 24/7 ...

In a nutshell: Much lower freqs will only work at night (with transmitters close to you), much higher only in daytime and they need to be further away. Than you also have to deal with a Skip zone ....

You have to start to read 'a bit' about RF Propagation (e.g. here Propagation of RF Signals).

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:39   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Mario,
There is a LOT for me to pass on....but, as to not overwhelm you, I will start with just these short videos....(more info, more details, and more videos, to follow...)

Offshore Weather Sources #1, SSB Voice Weather Broadcasts

Choosing the correct channel/frequency for the particular distance of communications and time-of-day (and year)...

BTW, all the info you need is in the stickies right up at the top of the Cruiser's Forum Marine Electronics page...

And, please tell us where you are at??
And, what type of noise/RFI/static do you notice when attempting to receive signals???

More to come..
Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:57   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Start by taking the radio ashore to a quiet location, a park or somesuch.

Just use the whip and see if you can receive WWV time signals on 5.000, 10.000, or 15.000

If that works go back aboard and repeat.

Then try broadcast stations. In the Gulf of Mexico Radio Havana would be a good start.

Times and frequencies can be found here ... http://www.short-wave.info/index.php

Edit... I don't know why that link keeps coming up with the BBC, but you can find Havana or anything else you want to try easy enough.
Old 11-10-2016, 13:41   #5

Mario,
First off, unless you are shoving off in the next day or two, slow down a bit....
I've been involved in HF comms for almost 45 years now, both maritime and ham, on-shore and at sea (assisted in my first marine SSB install in 1973)....I've studied radiowave propagation for most of those years, and taught my first class on the subject >35 years ago...
I'm not bragging here...just making a point that everyone starts from zero, and it takes time to get proficient!

Sorry, I missed your thread last week about HF radio choices...
Wished I'd have seen it...
Nothing wrong with a portable SW receiver, but you must learn how to use it and most importantly learn and understand radiowave propagation, noise, RFI. etc....otherwise, you'll be in for a frustrating time at best...and a doomed effort at worst!

So, before you go out an "buy a radio", and "get some weather info", you should really learn how all of this works, first!
But, alas.....the horse has already left the barn....so, on we go! "

I don't know where you are located at, nor what weather info you desire/need (please tell us!)
But, I will make a few assumptions...
You're along the Gulf coast of the US??? Somewhere???
And, you want some weather info/forecasts for Offshore waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, and Caribbean???

And, I suspect that you're on a budget, like most of us??
Perhaps a few hundred dollars is all you've got in the budget for this???
So, I'd recommend a used marine radio (such as a M-700Pro, or M-710) for about $500....or a used ham rig, like the old venerable IC-735, for about $300...
No need to worry about antenna, just clip a wire to a stay or shroud, or string a wire up a flag halyard, etc...(don't spend more than $5 on an antenna)
But, you've opted for a portable unit....not my first choice, but it's what you got, so it's what we'll use!!

So, what can you get from the radio....well, a LOT!!
If you look at the videos from above, AND watch the entire playlists that I'm posting here, you'll see what is available and how to get it!!
Please watch the entire playlists!! (I'm only posting 2 videos here, just to give you an introduction!)

Offshore Weather Sources #1, SSB Voice Weather Broadcasts

Choosing the correct channel/frequency for the particular distance of communications and time-of-day (and year)...

Please watch these entire playlists!!

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Marine HF Communications
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Also, don't forget to read some of this "sticky" above...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html
(especially the links to using an "SSB Receive-Only system", and links to info on RFI...)

These 2 are about SSB Receive-Only
SSB Receive Only
SSB Receiver Only? Is it practical?

These 4 are all about RFI and radiowave propagation
Testing a SSB/Ham radio - poor reception
ICOM 706 MK2 G optimization.
Icom M802 in fresh water
How to reduce RFI from an Airmar depth sounder?

And, here are some more links, from that "sticky" above...detailing channel/frequency choice, radiowave propagation, etc...
Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)
HF Radio Freqs, summertime Atlantic crossing, offshore Net..

And, of course....
Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm

Making some assumptions about your location and application, here are some specific thoughts....
1) make sure your radio and antenna are at least 1/2 mile from industrial, business areas, as well as from residential buildings, plasma screen TV's, other boats, battery chargers, inverters, wall-wart power supplies, Wi-Fi routers, cell phone chargers, etc. etc...
2) try the NWS/NOAA Offshore broadcasts from the USCG on 8764khz and 13089khz, from Chesapeake, VA at 1530z and 2130z....and/or 6501khz and 8764khz (and possibly 4426khz), from Chesapeake, VA at 0330z and 0930z....
(you can also try 8502khz and/or 4316khz, from New Orleans, at these same times....but since we do not know where you are located at, all of the above specifics are just based on my assumptions!)
3) try listening at the top of each hour to WLO identification and traffic lists, on 4369khz, 6519khz, 8788khz, (and maybe 13110khz)...as well as listen on these frequencies at 0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 hours, for detailed NWS/NOAA Offshore weather of Gulf of Mex, Carib, and SW N At.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
Greetings
With the help of many in this forum, I got a tecsun pl880 in hopes of getting weather reports.
I've tried but yet not been able to get anything !
Acquired list of frequencies and times, the closest to my location noa 12788khz and Nada,zero... with wire antenna, w/o, nights and days, surely I am doing something wrong.
I turn again to the knowledge base in this forum, please help��
Thanks in advance for your response
Mario
Mario, no need to beat your head against a wall...
Just watch the videos and all of the videos in the playlists referenced above, follow the specific instructions I lay out above (#1, #2, and #3), read the various links I posted (from the "sticky" at the top of the page), and you should be hearing excellent weather forecasts in no time...

Now, if you don't mind my recommendation???
Return the portable radio, spend $300 to $500 on a real radio, spend a few hours learning how HF radio works, and you'll be better off than half of your fellow cruisers!
(sorry, if this recommendation doesn't sit well....but at least I answered your questions in detail first!

And finally, if you're brain is exploding from all the tech stuff, have a look at these videos of some Atlantic passages...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KgTCj15iyl6qoY

Fair winds..

John
Old 11-10-2016, 14:47   #6

Wow.....
Ok I thank you for the information.
Need a glass of wine and start on your suggestions.
I am presently in FL heading to w cari b. No schedule no real destination

Again thank you....will report on my progress.....
mario f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 08:42   #7

Again thank you all for the help.
I have had some success....picked up wlo 4369. 6519 kHz. Said mobile al but gives weather for Alaska, n Pacific ? And 13089khz Virginia
Have. Gone thru list of NOAA and CG frequencies at stated times and no luck.
Interested in rtty and voice messages for weather in West Caribbean, gulf of Mexico,as I said before I am now in FL panhandle moving south at end of this month.
The list of frequencies is overwhelming, maybe someone has list relevant to my travels?
Jhon(ka4wja) thank you for the detailed response, wish I could pick your brain some,
I am familiar with sounds of rtty,fax and Morse , but don't know what the steady tones or patterns of tone mean.
I welcome any and all suggestions.
We also have an epirb,ais and Delorme for weather(have not tried) words of wisdom on this?
Thank you for your input.
Regards
Mario
Old 14-10-2016, 09:28   #8

Mario,
Please tell us where in Florida???
It's a big state and a BIG difference in radiowave propagation between Mobile, Al and Pensacola versus Ft. Myers, or Marathon, etc....and still a fair difference between Chesapeake, VA and Pensacola, versus Sarasota, or Miami, etc. etc. etc. etc...

As for your results....
Quote:
Again thank you all for the help.
I have had some success....picked up wlo 4369. 6519 kHz.
That's good...

Said mobile al but gives weather for Alaska, n Pacific ?
Yes....and Caribbean, and G of M, and SW N. Atlantic....
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels
If you look at their website, you'll see that....and that they transmit simultaneously on various channels, some from Mobile and some from Seattle...(and Mobile is closer to the SE / Tropical Pacific than Seattle, but not sure if they're doing weather for that?)

And 13089khz Virginia
This is not WLO, but is NMN (the USCG) out of Chesapeake, VA...
And, their broadcasts are the NMW/NOAA Offshore and Hi-Seas weather...
(you will also find 13089 being used by other USCG stations, like NMC in CA...for weather for other locations...)

Have. Gone thru list of NOAA and CG frequencies at stated times and no
luck.
There are no "NOAA" HF weather freqs, they are the USCG's....and you have received them....as the broadcast on 13089 is NMN (the USCG) out of Chesapeake, VA...
USCG HF Voice
Please have a look at the website...

Interested in rtty and voice messages for weather in West Caribbean, gulf of Mexico,as I said before I am now in FL panhandle moving south at end of this month.
Please tell us where you are at, and where you are planning on going....
The Florida panhandle is a big place and "south" encompasses a lot of the world...
Sorry, to sound so flip....but, without much info from you, there's not much info we can give back...
And, btw....RTTY weather broadcasts from USCG are fairly broad area H-Seas weather...they are accurate and informative, but not as detailed as the Offshore weather forecasts that are sent out via SSB Voice (from MNM and NMG, etc...)....
{Of course the "gold standard" for you are the weather charts (WeFax charts) broadcast from NMG, USCG out of New Orleans....but, you didn't ask about them...}

The list of frequencies is overwhelming, maybe someone has list relevant to my travels?
Sorry, if you find it overwhelming....but, up until this moment we didn't know where you are at, nor where you were going, nor when, etc. etc. etc...
Please tell us exactly where you are at (AND, if you are at a dock, marine, boatyard, etc??? private dock?? anchored out??? on a mooring??? tried the radio at sea??? or only in port???) and exactly where you are planning on going, and approx. when....
The Florida panhandle is a big place and "south" encompasses a lot of the world...
Sorry, to sound so flip....but, without much info from you, there's not much info we can give back...

Jhon(ka4wja) thank you for the detailed response, wish I could pick your brain some,
You're doing it right now....
But, I can't give you the answers you seek without more info fro you...

I am familiar with sounds of rtty,fax and Morse , but don't know what the steady tones or patterns of tone mean.
You must learn radiowave propagation and how to use the radio on Voice broadcasts, first!!
Then, you can use some FREE software and your laptop or tablet, to get WeFax charts, etc....
Sorry to not give you more details about this....just don't want to overwhelm you more..

I welcome any and all suggestions.
We also have an epirb,ais and Delorme for weather(have not tried) words of wisdom on this?
Thank you for your input.
Regards
Mario
My overall best advice is:
a) provide a LOT more info...
b) answer all my questions...
c) learn about radiowave propagation...
d) understand that you WILL need to use 2 - 4 different freqs, at different times of the day and when you are at different distances from these stations!!

If you can do those 4 things, you WILL be good to go....
If not, the PL880 will be a waste of money...

Fair winds...

John
Old 14-10-2016, 12:58   #9

Greetings John
A&B-
We are in carrabelle, FL our plan is to go south to ft Myers then north of Cuba, Jamaica then cross Yucatan to Mexico and down c America . No particular schedule or real destination. We are at a marina and have not tried radio in open water .
C
Have read about propagation and effect on coms. Night below 13mhz and day above. Sunrise/set times are good.
D
Have listen to different frequencies of same transmition and noted differences time of day,weather etc. On voice txs
I have software and have deciphered Morse code tx I have found. Still have found no rtty or fax . Hope to be able to have access to all of these.

Hope I answered all your questions
Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Regards
Mario
Old 14-10-2016, 21:22   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Have listen to different frequencies of same transmition and noted differences time of day,weather etc. On voice txs
I have software and have deciphered Morse code tx I have found. Still have found no rtty or fax . Hope to be able to have access to all of these.

Regards
Mario
You may have missed this bit of info in the NOAA document

'Unless otherwise stated, assigned frequencies are shown, for carrier frequency subtract 1.9 kHz. Typically dedicated radiofax receivers use assigned frequencies, while receivers or transceivers, connected to external recorders or PC's, are operated in the upper sideband (USB) mode using carrier frequencies.'

So... you have to tune 1.9 below the frequency listed...

Also... faxs start at 00/15/30/45 and normally run for about 10 minutes so there are quiet bits..
Cheers,
Ping
Old 15-10-2016, 06:44   #11

Ping,
Thank you for your response.
I have taken that into account . I see. Times of the tx for NO on 4319.9 kHz (4318) at00, 06, 12, 18. NWS radio fax
Also tried other frequencies given.
Site lists NO 4317.9 , 8503.9 ....(1400_2239z)
Start 0230,0745,1400,1720,1900 z.

It is 1340z and I think I have something on 4316khz..😁😁😁
Now to try and decipher.

Mario
Old 15-10-2016, 12:10   #12

Mario,
1) With a portable receiver, you have some disadvantages AND some advantages! (As example: you don't have any signal meter, reliable way of determining noise levels, etc...but, you ca get away from noise by taking the radio out to the middle of nowhere!)

I'm somewhat familiar with your area, there are a LOT of wide open places, woods, beaches, etc...
Get away from electrical wires, inverters, battery chargers, cell phone charges, plasma screen TV's, computers, etc. etc. etc. etc....and try the radio there!

If you haven't read thru the links I provided earlier, please do so....especially the ones I highlight regarding RFI...
I know there is a lot there.....but it will help....I promise..

You are trying to use HF radio, without any knowledge of HF radio, nor especially of HF RFI (Radio Frequency Interference), as well as only a basic understanding of radiowave propagation....
And, having only a basic, entry-level radio is also a fairly large hurdle to over come (and one that I really wish so many wouldn't jump to recommend so quickly....but rather take the time to explain HF comms....ah, but I digress!
(please understand that the choice you made regarding trying to use a portable receiver is very do-able, but it isn't the easiest! sorry, I missed your earlier query about your options, as I would've very heavily advised buying s used IC-735 for $300, stringing up a scrap piece of wire, programming a few freqs in the radio, and you'd be having a much easier time of things....but, oh well..)

2) Since I now know where you are located, we can now proceed!

3) Please do not try to receive wefax until you are proficient and successful in receiving Voice transmissions....it will just be too frustrating (for both of us!

4) Here are some generic radiowve propagation tips, for your current location, etc....these are NOT absolutes, as conditions vary (and your local noise plays a VERY large part in the effectiveness of these recommendations)....but are good generic, rules-of-thumb:

{BTW, there is a LOT to radiowave propagation, and while it might seem like "Night below 13mhz and day above", is some rule-of-thumb, it is NOT....it is primarily about WHERE you are at, WHERE the other station is at, WHERE the sun is at, WHAT are the solar indices, WHAT are the noise conditions at the receiving station, etc., etc. etc., hopefully I can explain it better here....and pleae note that while sunrise and sunset times can be good for some HF comms, referred to as "Grey-Line Propagation", it can be a very frustrating time for many HF comms, and should be avoided by novice HF comm users....as conditions change very rapidly and unpredictably....
I've been doing this since the early 70's, and taught my first seminar on radioiwave propagation when I was still a teenager....so, please know that I understand that most sailors come at this as novices and there's no reason that you should know any of this, yet!! }

a) From your location (~ 200 miles from Mobile and ~ 350 miles from New Orleans), you are too close to these stations for any freqs above 12mhz to be useful for you now...but, once you move farther away, you will find the 12mhz channels to be very useful (and even WLO's 16mhz channels will be useful as you get farther away...)

EDIT:
I had a thought that this time of year things do improve a bit...so just took a quick look at NMG schedule, and see that it is possible (but not likely) that 12788 would be useable at your current location, during the afternoon hours, of say 1845z thru 2015z, where there are wefax charts of interest to you, being transmitted....so, if looking for wefax from NMG, you could try 12mhz (???) as well as 8mhz, at those times...

Sorry, I didn't look at the schedule earlier....but was wanting to concentrate on you getting proficient at using the radio for Voice reception, first!

From WLO (Mobile):
4396, 6319, and 8788 should work...(6mhz day and night...4mhz at night as well as early morning and late afternoon, 8mhz during most of the day, from late morning thru sunset...)

From NMG (New Orleans):
8502 for both their 1530z and 2130z broadcasts, should work well...(and while 4316 should also be useable at 2130z, the noise might be too high then, as well)
4316 for both their 0330z and 0930z broadcasts, should work well...

In your current location, about 700 miles from Chesapeake, VA...
From NMN (VA):
13089 for both their 1530z and 2130z broadcasts, should work well...(and 8764 might also be useful...)
6501 (and even 4426) should be good for the 0330z and 0930z broadcasts, but you might find 8764 to be useful at 0330z...

b) Once you move farther, during the daytime you will see that you'll use the higher freqs from WLO and NMG, and find 13089 from NMN to be the only daytime channel that you'll hear clearly, as you'll be getting fairly distance for daytime comms on the lower freqs...

When you get to Ft. Myers (about 450 miles from Mobile and 550 miles from New Orleans), you'll start to hear the 12mhz channels from both WLO (13110) and NMG (12788) fairly well during daytime, primarily during midday hours., although the 8mhz channels (8788 for WLO, and 8502 for NMG) might still be better, with 6mhz (6519 from WLO) and 4mhz (4369 from WLO, and 4316 from NMG) working most of the nighttime hours...

And, during daytime hours, 13089 from NMN will still be good, along with weaker/noisier signals on 8764 at times....with 6501 and 4426 being good at night, depending on noise...(8764 can be great in evening, but conditions change and are in flux as you get later, so with the broadcasts being 6 hours apart, you my find you're moving from 12mzh down to 6mhz, skipping 8mhz???)

c) As you get into Central America (and the Caribbean), your distances are getting greater (1000+ miles from Mobile and New Orleans, 1600+ miles from VA), and hence your daytime comms will be only on the higher channels, and you may not get 4mhz comms except late at night...

From WLO:
Try 17362 and 13110 daytimes....
And, 8788 from near sunset thru dawn...(although you may find 6mhz to be better at times)

From NMG:
Try 12788 daytimes and 8502 at night....(although 16mhz might be better for daytime, they don't transmit Voice on 16/17mhz, only wefax....and 4316 might also be okay at night)

From NMN:
13089 daytimes, and 8764 at night....(their midday 17mhz broadcast is just the wide-area "Hi-Seas" forecast, so not useable for you..)

d) And, as you get farther south (such as San Blas Islands, or even Trinidad, etc.), you'll find even higher freqs to be excellent...even 12mhz works at night many times....

Again, all the above are generic....there are variables, especially what YOUR noise level is, that effect how well one freq works another....
But, I hope you see there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye??
(and I haven't even gotten past the very first, basic few percent of all of this)

Now, I hope you understand why I am so insistent about knowing where some is located and where / when they are planning on sailing/cruising!!
It takes a lot of my time to write all of this, and can confuse and frustrate the questioner, when they get just a little bit of info/answer that doesn't solve their problem, due to the fact that it doesn't fit their location / application, etc...
It wastes a LOT of time....
So...

So, to everyone reading this:
Please, when asking a question (any question, about anything), please tell us where you are, where/when you are sailing/cruising, what your exact application is, etc., and if a "tech" question, please tell us your level of expertise....as ALL of these things determine the answers!

5) As much as I want to explain the ease of receiving WeFax, please note that I've not written about any of that here, yet....(but, will give you some input here)

Because it will be you that needs to tune-in these signals, and you that will need to know how to find the right freq at any time-of-day, and you that will need to know what noise/interference you have (and how to reduce/eliminate them)....
You really must be proficient with all of this, to make it all work....(there is no "easy, plug-n-play" when it comes to understanding HF comms)

Once you understand all of the above, then it's simply a matter of turning on the radio, tune it the freq of the wefax that you want, plug the radio into your computer, start your software, and watch the weather chart appear on the screen (average chart takes about 7 to 8 minutes to transmit, so it isn't like "clicking your mouse" on a hyperlink on a website!)

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfgulf_links.htm

Once, you've learn all the above, tune-in 10 - 15 minutes before the chart you desire will be transmitted, and have a listen on the freqs that will work best for you at that time....and/or switch between different freqs as the preceding chart is being transmitted, to verify you've selected the best freq....

Listen for the tones, tune the radio as best you can, then use the tuning in the software to fine-tune if needed....and you should see the image...
It's that simple....BUT...
But, you must know all of the above, first! Otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail and become frustrated in short order!!
Quote:
I have no idea what software you're using, but the two that most find works the best are:
JVComm
and/or
GetFAX
You'll find 99% of sailors using one or the other....(most are using JVComm, and I highly recommend it...and secondarily recommend GetFAX, but I do not recommend anything else!)

Offshore Weather Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Also, if you look at my weather videos, you'll see the wefax charts being printed out as they are received by my Furuno FAX-408 WeFax unit...this is just a high-quality HF receiver and WeFax decoder, with printer...all-in-one...
You should be able to hear the fax transmissions, before I turn the volume down so I can narrate!
But, you can also hear a typical wefax transmission on the NWS/NOAA marine HF FAX page....have a listen..
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/radiofax.wav

I do hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
Old 15-10-2016, 12:15   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Reception is often poor inshore and can improve dramatically offshore.

I can only receive fax offshore. Also voice is clearer and louder there.

I sometimes turn the boat to get better reception. Normally worth trying the opposite tack if you find too much noise or very low signal.

Switching off all other electrics/electronics may help too.

Times of the day count hugely too.

Use FM inshore.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 13:01   #14

Mario,
Just saw this posting...
And, I stand by my recommendations to always learn and become proficient with HF comms and the radio on Voice comms first!!

But, specifically here...
I think you have some typos, and/or some very erroneous information??

Quote:
Ping,
Thank you for your response.
I have taken that into account . I see. Times of the tx for NO on 4319.9 kHz (4318) at00, 06, 12, 18. NWS radio fax
That should be 4317.9 (4316)....
And, the times you list are their quick test transmissions....

Also tried other frequencies given.
Site lists NO 4317.9 , 8503.9 ....(1400_2239z)
Start 0230,0745,1400,1720,1900 z.
Not sure what "site" you're referring to???
As there are no transmissions at 0230z, 0745z, or 1720z! (and at 1900z they'd be just about finished with the "24 hr surface forecast")

It is 1340z and I think I have something on 4316khz..������
There is a "Cyclone Danger Area" warning transmitted at 1335z, but it should be completed in a few minutes, so it's doubtful you'd get much at 1340z, but possible...
Now to try and decipher.

Mario
Mario, again please do yourself the favor of learning about HF comms and your radio by being successful at receiving Voice comms first, before you try to tackle wefax reception!!
I cannot stress this enough....it is and always has been my recommendations here (and to every sailor or new ham, etc.)!!
{What's the big rush??? You can learn this is a few hours, unless you're heading offshore tomorrow, you have plenty of time!!)

But, more importantly here I think we may have hit upon a large part of your difficulties....you are apparently not using the USCG NWS/NOAA Schedule???
Please have a look at these pages (which I provided earlier, and are in the threads that I provided links to as well)

HF Voice
USCG HF Voice

HF WeFax (NMG)
New Orleans Radiofax Schedule with Links
(understand that the average wefax chart takes 6 to 8 minutes to transmit, but some test signals and warnings take less...so the transmissions are not "continuous:... )

Please use my post above, and these schedules here, to better understand what you are doing....and I think you'll be in good shape by the end of this weekend!!

Fair winds..

John
Old 17-10-2016, 09:15   #15

Greetings John,
I've been playing with the radio the past few days. Identified rf interference on boat, land noise and poor propagation.
Have been tuning to(voice) WLO Mobile, NMG NO, and NMN VA
Results have been favorable mostly on 13089,8764 -- 8502, 4316.
For WLO Mob you gave frequencies of 4396, 6319...I have nothing on these, instead I pick them up on 4369, 6519, 8788 with good signal, 8788 not as good.
For what it is worth the radio does have a signal strength indicator and snr indicator(numerical display). Also have jvcomm32.
I have viewed the videos and read many,many... posts and sticky (my head is spinning)
All this wealth of information has been very helpful, your videos are very good also.
My dear sir I owe you a bottle of your favorite delight, for all your help.
I do realize the difficulty of receiving on hf while in port, can't wait to get out on open water.
You are a good and patient teacher.

Regards,
Mario

Tags
weather