Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 08:24   #1

HF Long Wire Antenna Too Short?

I would like to use my mizzen mast to hoist a long wire antenna, but the stick on this little yawl is only 21'. That gives me about 21.5' from the top of the mast to the deck penetration, plus another 2-3' of GTO15 under the deck to the tuner, for a total antenna length of around 23-25'. Similar in length to a whip, but will I be disappointed TXing on certain meter bands? Rig is an IC-M700 with AT-120 tuner.

Also, looking for advice on making the antenna - thinking 14 gauge wire inserted in single-braid dyneema? Anyone try this? What size dyneema?
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:12   #2

Re: HF Long Wire Antenna Too Short?

...ok , before I get reprimanded, of course I meant to say random wire antenna, not long-wire.

Also, I should specify I will mostly be on the marine bands, not ham.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 13:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The antenna tuner should compensate for the length of the antenna wire. Having an antenna length that is a quarter wave of the desired transmitting frequency is important if you have no antenna tuner but not with the antenna tuner within reason. It's not to say that the tuner will cure everything but your proposed antenna should work okay especially on 20 and 40 meters.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:59   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

RidgeRunner,
As Peter mentioned the length you have is fine....and should work great on all freqs from 7mhz thru 28mhz....(although, it will have a slight disadvantage on the lower freqs, of 3.6mhz / 4mhz, and even 6mhz....but, it will still work!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I would like to use my mizzen mast to hoist a long wire antenna, but the stick on this little yawl is only 21'. That gives me about 21.5' from the top of the mast to the deck penetration, plus another 2-3' of GTO15 under the deck to the tuner, for a total antenna length of around 23-25'. Similar in length to a whip, but will I be disappointed TXing on certain meter bands? Rig is an IC-M700 with AT-120 tuner.

Also, looking for advice on making the antenna - thinking 14 gauge wire inserted in single-braid dyneema? Anyone try this? What size dyneema?
As for using copper wire inside a line?? Yes, this works well!
But, unless you need the strength (and tension) of Dyneema, you'd be just as well served by using a double-braided polyester line (such as Sta-Set)....or even a single-braid polyester line....
Either one will last you a decade or more....and you'll have your own "rope-tenna"!

FYI, be aware that the older original versions of the AT-120 were designed for 1.8mhz thru 23mhz, and might not work thru 29mhz....sorry, but I don't have access here to the serial number data....but with the sunspot cycle waning, the chances that you'll be using freqs above 23mhz for the next 5 years is slim!!
So, no worries!!

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna