Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 06:27   #1

Herb Hilenberg : any follow-up ?

Apparently Herb Hilgenberg enjoys a well deserved rest after advising during many years ocean cruisers on the weather during their ocean passage, and this by HF communication.
Are there any other weather routers about today, on the HF bands, that will offer free customized advise on upcoming weather during Atlantic crossings ?
ludo.verhavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 06:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Herb Hilenberg : any follow-up ?

Herb will be irreplaceable!

Chris Parker / Marine Weather Center offers daily SSB forecasts.
Listening is free.
Asking questions about your specific needs requires a subscription to the service. Email forecast summaries are also available for a subscription fee.

Herb’s retirementSouth Bound II VAX498 - Ship routing and weather forecasting

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 07:27   #3

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Big piece in the Globe:

Canadian weather watcher

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 08:17   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Herb is indeed missed. While I suspect he would have put down the mic anyway, there was some unpleasantness surrounding his decision that for me just underlines the need for every skipper to be his or her final arbiter of when to venture forth. One should never rely on the weatherman for the weather, nor try to blame that person when the weather turns.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 08:43   #5

Really well deserved recognition for someone who gave up so much of his time for others.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 11:56   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Herb has indeed retired and will not be replaced easily. In a strange ironic twist, one vocal detractor and Editor of a popular boating magazine found himself needing rescue offshore from a boat disabled by severe weather that a good weather router like Herb might have helped him avoid. We spoke with Herb just prior to his retirement and he was very discouraged by the negative publicity and just plain tired. When we last spoke to him, one of his comments was that he was getting too old to climb his antenna tower to make repairs. He will be missed, we used his free service for decades. Chris Parker's coverage is limited and we have not heard of any reliable sources to replace the vast area Herb covered. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 13:55   #7

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Herb is indeed missed. While I suspect he would have put down the mic anyway, there was some unpleasantness surrounding his decision that for me just underlines the need for every skipper to be his or her final arbiter of when to venture forth. One should never rely on the weatherman for the weather, nor try to blame that person when the weather turns.
It is sad to see Herb goes. In today's cut throat industry, his free service to cruisers does not sit well with the all other commercial enterprises.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 16:39   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It is sad to see Herb goes. In today's cut throat industry, his free service to cruisers does not sit well with the all other commercial enterprises.
The funny thing was that Herb started his "service" because there were no other alternatives at the time and he and his family had been caught out by a bad forecast. He eventually got very good at weather routing through the simple expedient of having his daily roster of yachts at sea act like little weather stations, refining the general forecast to reflect local conditions.

The one time I heard him in action on a delivery, he was pretty accurate. But of course our skipper stared for a long time at his weatherfaxes and made the final course calls and sail changes. I think some people don't get that it's got to be the skipper's call...Herb was a very good data input, but he never pretended that he was sitting on the pushpit with a moistened finger in the air.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 16:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
He eventually got very good at weather routing through the simple expedient of having his daily roster of yachts at sea act like little weather stations, refining the general forecast to reflect local conditions.
He is in good company. That is exactly what Matthew Fontaine Maury did. He was able to identify currents and came up with the first pilots charts.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 18:46   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
I used Chris Parker on a recent trip from Florida to BVI. Not free but a great value. His insights were worth their weight in gold.
Old 20-01-2014, 19:00   #11

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaz View Post
I used Chris Parker on a recent trip from Florida to BVI. Not free but a great value. His insights were worth their weight in gold.
Glad you got your money worth. We were not so lucky twice in a row. We are on our own now.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:36   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

In our cruising years, we listened to Herb, and have gotten specific information several times. It was also very good entertainment in the evening when at anchor following the different boats, especially the Atlantic crossings. Positions were given in degrees and minutes, with caution added that they were unable to get a noon sight for a couple of days. Even heard a US Navy ship call to get his opinion. It is un-believeable that a few detractors could cause him to give up the cause. In one instance when a boat kept pumping him for alternatives because they had to get somewhere at a certain time, he asked "do you want me to come down and sail the boat for you also". I can still hear him say "... and have a good watch"
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:06   #13

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Thumbs up Re: Herb Hilenberg : any follow-up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaz View Post
Touché.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 01:29   #14

Thank you guys for all your comments. The bottom line is that there is no free HF weather routing service anymore for passages across the Atlantic, I suppose .
best regards.
ludo.verhavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 01:43   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we subscribed to chris parker for over 5 years -- and met him once -- his advice to us was i can tell you what i see but you have to use more than me and then make your own decision --
we used chris and multiple models in our decision making and it is up to us

we did use chris to cross the atlantic via 1st hf voice then via winlink - we would send him our coordinates and he would email back the wx - we also used the gribs -

before we left antigua we spent a lot of time talking to chris and looking at long range models and in general they agreed - and we just kept waiting - when one window appeared we were tempted to leave but chris showed us a potential issue about a week out and we waited -- good thing as the issue showed up and we were glad we waited -
good thing - 2 boats that left that week were on a boat watch list when we got to horta
we will use chris when we decided to head westbound - when ever that will be and that could be a while
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote