Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2010, 16:41   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Help this TV Addict...

I just moved my TV from where I trip over it every time I go to sit down to the forward main cabin bulkhead. Rerouted the power cable, coax too short so I put in a joiner, fired 'er up and most of my channels (the digital ones that I watch) are missing in action.

Much fiddling later I've got everything but digital channels 7 (177.500 MHz) and 9 (191.625MHz).

Antenna is a common brand omnidirectional, active or amplified. I tried some old "rabbits ears" and they worked almost as well as the installed antenna.

I can get the analogue channels but they are pretty "snowy" and sometimes missing the sound.

The installed antenna "works", that is I do get a signal from it but if I turn the gain down I loose it so the power bit is OK. I checked the power leads and they are 12.6V so that looks OK.

I'm right in the middle of a big city so I expected a good strong signal.

I looked up service support for the installed antenna and I looks like I'm to contact my dealer. Serves me right for buying online...

I did have a quick chat with my local dealer and they pointed me the way of a nice looking double antenna system and set top box. Only another boat buck or so!

So what's this addict to do? I don't want to throw money at it, and there's no guarantee that it would be much better if I did.

Old 14-05-2010, 16:57   #2

Boat: 5 m Bolger runabout, plus a Starwind 860 power tri under construction
How old is the coax? Does it run near anything else (AC power, other antenna cables)? Any signs of deterioration on any of the connectors? How many junctions?

Last year, I was helping my parents with a similar TV problem- in that case, a big old 8-foot porcupine of an antenna and a mess of spliced and patched coaxial cable. We thought we'd have to replace the antenna, but decided to string the new cable (with good, properly crimped connectors) first- eliminating the bad connectors and old cable took us from 30-something to about 60 channels. None of the connectors looked bad from the outside, but the sheath was starting to deteriorate under some of the crimps. The antenna, it turns out, works fine.

As an aside, we were able to get comparable reception to the old cable by sticking a 4' jumper wire in the RF input and holding it near the ceiling. Even a tiny flaw in the cable will really screw up TV signals- they're a very weak signal with an enormous amount of information encoded on them.

Old 14-05-2010, 17:01   #3

Boat: sold
I get good results by using the marine VHF radio aerial , set top box & 2.4ghz video sender/receiver. No wires & can take TV anywhere. (non metal boat). Yes the antenna is wrong frequency but the height makes up a lot of losses. Check the cable thru that joiner as it is easy to get it wrong if you are not used to the connectors.
Old 14-05-2010, 17:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Best thing I ever did for my TV addiction was to throw my tv set in the dumpster. I know, I should have recycled it but...
Old 14-05-2010, 17:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Coax is near new...

The antenna is only a year or so old (just out of warranty!) and the coax from the antenna to the power supply came with it.

The coax from the antenna runs along the side of the boat and through a few holes in frames. I'll see if it has any kinks tomorrow.

I've brought 8m of RG59 and I'll take it to the boat tomorrow.

I'll also see how I go with the VHF aerial. If I'm watching the Swans I don't need the VHF.
Old 14-05-2010, 18:40   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
My wife has to have TV.
We bought a Phillips outdoors antenna, no spikes it is rectangular about 8x4 inches and 1 inch thick grey plastic (can be mast mounted if left out side on a boat note the clamps are not SS but could be replaced easily) at Walmart about $60. it wouldn't work well. She then bought a "converter box" at Radio shack it works very well now.
They are on the boat now, sorry I don't know the model numbers.
Steve
Old 14-05-2010, 20:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

More then .25 of ecah hour is commercials. 2 hours = (min.).5 hours commercials. Per week 3.5, per year that's 182 hours or a couple of weeks of your waking life each year watching commercials. Does that help?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 20:45   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Put the commercial's time to good use, get up and have a beer! Now, sitting down and watching a program that is usually a waste of time.
Steve
Old 16-05-2010, 02:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi gain, real pain...

Just kept on fiddling until it worked.

What was frustrating was that every time I "fixed" something it got worse!

Until I turned the gain right down on the power supply. Turned out the signal was too strong, not too weak.

Did catch the end of today's big game.

Many thanks for all who helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawks v Tigers.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	16151  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: