Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 10:36   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45 DS
Re: Help Needed with Raymarine Linear Drive - Urgent !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Goodday,

Yes, I succeed in reassembling the whole thing, including the drive. Did it just like Steve mentioned a time ago.
Look very carefully with disassembling - videocamera? - use a lot of grease and be patient.
The drive is still functioning very well and with less, less noise!

Good luck,
Wim
Thank you for your reply.

Enclosed are close-ups of the old, broken linear actuator I received in the mail the other day.

Seems to be no balls left in the recirculating ball drive at all. The previous owner said there once were approx. 22 balls with diameter 1mm.

I wonder if I am missing a ball-locking device as well. What whould make the balls stay in place if I 1) find correct balls and 2) manage to insert the balls in place with sticky grease?

nixxon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	34199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	34200  

nixxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:19   #17
Wim

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352, 35 ft

Hi again,

It was a long time ago and I didn't make pictures. Mine was a 5000 type drive and it seems to me that your 4000 looks different. I am sorry that I cann't help you any further.

Good luck,
wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:24   #18

Boat: Catalina C400 40'

Quick answer to #2. Yes, the drive is a DC motor. 12V applied in one polarity causes the motor to turn one way. 12V applied in the other polarity causes the motor to turn the other way. I proved this one time when I had a problem with mine. I found the quick connect where the 12V is brought to the motor and unplugged it. I forced a small wire in each side and plugged it back in, then brought the wire out to the cockpit for easy access with a voltmeter. I watched the DC polarity reverse each time the authhelm called for a correction. The motor then hit the dead spot I was looking for and even though the computer was calling for a correction the motor did nothing! Time to have the motor rebuilt!

Gary
cygnussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 12:20   #19

I know I am very late to this party but I'm having my own little party trying to get the cover off my old Combi Autohelm linear drive. Unlike the newer type 2 units, there are no " dust cover retaining bolts". Is there any trick to getting this cover off? I am working some PB blaster in to the joint but I don't want to pry and break something. The only thing possibly holding it together that I can see is the nut on the circular multi-pin connector. Any firsthand experience here is very much appreciated.
SVRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linear drive, raymarine