Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 22:05   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Help identifying antennas

With old antennas and old antenna cables...It is worth taking a look at what is in the boat, i.e. Just a VHF radio? And if that is what is there, clean all the old antennas off the mast and start with a reliable new antenna and good quality cable for it. Even the best cable, properly installed, doesn't last forever.

If there's a Decca unit somewhere on the boat...One might have it bronzed and turned into a wall plaque or something. Also off the boat.

Much simpler to do the antennas and wiring while the mast is down. (And of course, pre-emptively change all the masthead lighting while it is also at hand.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 22:31   #17

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Help identifying antennas

The mast was down immediately after we bought the boat so didnt have the confidence to start rewiring at that point. We were quite time constrained, but I wish we had done it then.

Turns out we did have an old Navtex onboard but that had a separate aerial if I remember correctly (white stubby plastic unit mounted at the transom).

Agreed, probably best just to get a new antenna and cable and rip out all the old stuff. We are buying a new DSC enabled vhf so might as well do the whole job.
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna