Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2011, 20:07   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
Help - How Many Speakers Does One Need ?

Here is a question for those that are smarter than I. Can one integrate a high end speakers and subwoofer system used for computers for your 12 volt AM/FM radio and telvision. Usually they have a 110volt transformer to amplify the speakers, how would I address that ? I would love to be able to have a jack or switch system so that I could switch or plug in each of those systems as needed, or do I really need a stand alone speakers? Thanks for your thoughts.

SV/Hi Ho

Old 08-01-2011, 20:24   #2

typically your computer and 110 volt based speakers will be in odd ohms ratings depending on manufacturer. Your 12 volt radio wants to see 4 ohm speakers in order to get the internal amplifier to produce the most power .i.e 30 watts . Connecting say a tower from a home audio system will be pretty quiet as they usually are in the 8 ohm rating per speaker so you receive half volume. A better solution is using a 12 volt head unit that has an auxillary input and you can feed your computer ,ipod etc into into and have it amplified throughout your cabin.
You also receive the efficiency of 12 volt power over 110volt ,batteries last longer

Old 08-01-2011, 22:25   #3

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
typically your computer and 110 volt based speakers will be in odd ohms ratings depending on manufacturer. Your 12 volt radio wants to see 4 ohm speakers in order to get the internal amplifier to produce the most power .i.e 30 watts . Connecting say a tower from a home audio system will be pretty quiet as they usually are in the 8 ohm rating per speaker so you receive half volume. A better solution is using a 12 volt head unit that has an auxillary input and you can feed your computer ,ipod etc into
Chad's right really. I mean, you always have options, such as running speakers in parallel, etc, but the easier solution is to use an auxilliary input. If you don't have one of those, you can get FM transmitters specifically designed to plug into a 1/8" jack, & you can broadcast the music to your radio.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
How Many Speakers

Thanks for the replys, I will have to check and see if my radio has the auxillary jack. My radio is about 4years old and it does not have one on it's face but maybe it has one on the back. Even if I have to replace it this get's me where I want to go . Thanks again!!

S/V Hi Ho
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Is there a way of adapting an aux-in to accept an ipod or computer input? I have RCA stereo pair aux-inputs I could use. Currently I'm using a cassette adapter and I'd like to eliminate that.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31   #6

Boat: Westsail 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Is there a way of adapting an aux-in to accept an ipod or computer input? I have RCA stereo pair aux-inputs I could use. Currently I'm using a cassette adapter and I'd like to eliminate that.
No trick there. I have my iPod plugged into my stereo (a Sony car stereo) via a simple patch cord with a mini stereo plug on each end. Earphone connection on the iPod to the Aux. In on the stereo. I also do the same thing with my computer so that I can get better sound when I'm watching DVD movies. Just start with the volume setting on either the iPod or the stereo pretty low and work your way up. There are RCA-to-stereo adapters at Radio Shack. I've done this same thing with both my computer and iPod on my home stereo (before the boat became home) using the auxiliary input jacks (RCA plugs).

-Steve
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
Connecting say a tower from a home audio system will be pretty quiet as they usually are in the 8 ohm rating per speaker so you receive half volume.
It doesn't quite work that way. You would barely be able to detect a change in volume when using an 8 ohm speaker in place of a 4 ohm one.

Eric

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: