Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2013, 05:52   #16

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Re: HELP! DIY wifi for my boat.

Thanks Ziggy. This is exactly the info I was hoping someone would provide. I really appreciate the time and effort spent in compiling this list, and I'm certain many others reading the thread will find it extremely helpful as well. Thanks again.

Will

Old 27-01-2013, 06:01   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Just had a conversation with someone who put their own system together and it's similar to others I've heard.
They wish they'd spent the extra $50 and bought a system from Island Time PC. Knowing you have a complete setup and HAVING EXCELLENT TECH SUPPORT would have been worth it.
I have an Island Time system and it works great. When I've botched up the software config Bob has been there to straighten it out for me.

If you have to ask the original question posted here then you need the support Island Time can give you. If you are tech savvy enough to not need their support then you don't need to be here asking questions in the first place.

Old 27-01-2013, 17:04   #18

Lightbulb Re: HELP! DIY wifi for my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Just had a conversation with someone who put their own system together and it's similar to others I've heard.
They wish they'd spent the extra $50 and bought a system from Island Time PC. Knowing you have a complete setup and HAVING EXCELLENT TECH SUPPORT would have been worth it.
I have an Island Time system and it works great. When I've botched up the software config Bob has been there to straighten it out for me.

If you have to ask the original question posted here then you need the support Island Time can give you. If you are tech savvy enough to not need their support then you don't need to be here asking questions in the first place.
I don't know how you're planning on "gettin there" if your confused by someone having the self confidence and common sense to ask a few intellegent questions, and then figure things out themselves. You'll never know the answers if your scared to ask the questions.
Old 27-01-2013, 17:24   #19

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Man, didn't know you wanted part numbers. I could do a shopping cart for you if need be, but I draw the line at including my credit card number.
Old 27-01-2013, 17:39   #20

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Love the Bullet. any idiot can set it up in five minutes. Key to a good signal though is height of antenna. Top of the mast is not always best. Mine is currently at about boom height for the current signal, so I have a 50 foot cat 5 cable connected so it cn be raised and lowered.
Old 27-01-2013, 20:44   #21

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
I don't know how you're planning on "gettin there" if your confused by someone having the self confidence and common sense to ask a few intellegent questions, and then figure things out themselves. You'll never know the answers if your scared to ask the questions.
I guess the thing is you asked for info and were given links with that exact info but it appears you didn't take the time to look at them for whatever reason and that can be discouraging to those of us that tried to help,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 21:27   #22

You asked for help to recreate something that people are already doing. They are trying to make a living to support their cruising lifestyle. How do you think they did it?

I have an Island Time wifi solution and it works well. If I need tech support, I have someone to ask. Who will you ask?
Old 27-01-2013, 23:17   #23

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

I have a WiFi antenna name "Bad Boy" made by a company called "bitstorm". The antenna is mounted at the top of the mast on my boat but it will work well at any level. It is hooked to a NetGear router I picked up at Staples.
Works excellent. Beatstorm also offer a router but its much more expensive.
The total cost was $180 for the antenna and $30 for the router.
Old 28-01-2013, 21:48   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Probably too late to this thread, but:

Islandtime PC is WAY worth it. Bob's support is worth the minor price difference. And, it's 'plug n play'.
Old 29-01-2013, 03:56   #25
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: HELP! DIY wifi for My Boat

If you have the knowledge and understand Wifi setup ( to a fairly advanced level), understand TCP/IP routing and setup and can configure routers, switches etc, then you dont need technical support, other then to figure out if a particular component is faulty.

If you dont have that level of technical knowledge, dont roll your own as you do need a single person to talk to to guide you through the whole process.

DIY is only useful if you have the technical knowledge to do the task properly, its rarely a cheaper way either.

"Top of the range" and " save money" rarely go together, the trick is to understand the tradeoffs

DAve
Old 29-01-2013, 18:07   #26

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you have the knowledge and understand Wifi setup ( to a fairly advanced level), understand TCP/IP routing and setup and can configure routers, switches etc, then you dont need technical support, other then to figure out if a particular component is faulty.

If you dont have that level of technical knowledge, dont roll your own as you do need a single person to talk to to guide you through the whole process.

DIY is only useful if you have the technical knowledge to do the task properly, its rarely a cheaper way either.

"Top of the range" and " save money" rarely go together, the trick is to understand the tradeoffs

DAve
I disagree. Setting up a wifi connection while following step by step instructions is no more complicated than, say, adjusting valve lash on a diesel engine or installing a battery charger. Also, there's almost no possibility of damaging anything, and the whole thing isn't really critical, so you can just take your time and you'll figure it out.

For $250, Island time PC is not a bad deal either. If you have no interest, patience, time, or confidence, this may be the way to go. But the hardest thing about doing it yourself is to figure out where to mount the antenna and how to route the cables, and you have to do that yourself either way.
Old 29-01-2013, 20:58   #27

Boat: Hylas 46
Send a message via Skype™ to Tbaker

While we were offshore the most often used Wifi adaptor was the Alpha unit that onestepcsy37 referred to. The range was far better than most other adapters and you can get it with additional longer range antennas. Just unscrew the standard antenna and screw in the longer range antenna.
Old 29-01-2013, 22:37   #28

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaker View Post
While we were offshore the most often used Wifi adaptor was the Alpha unit that onestepcsy37 referred to. The range was far better than most other adapters and you can get it with additional longer range antennas. Just unscrew the standard antenna and screw in the longer range antenna.
I'd say it might be 'the most often used' as it is cheap and easy to setup. Is it as good if you need longer range wifi as the Bullet? No. I have two Alphas and like them a lot and use them with our computers on the road to have better connections in Motels and such and one has worked on the boat in the yard where the connection is not too far away, but on the water ours just haven't performed like the Bullet.

I've picked up wifi (slow but a useable connection) at a little over 4 miles with the Bullet. No way with the Alpha. I have a report on using them side by side while in Boot Key Harbor at Marathon....

Computer-Chartplotter Build Page-1

If you want to connect in marinas and such the Alpha can be a viable option but on a remote anchorage I'll take the Bullet.

The bullet is also an all weather option and ours worked fine after a year out in the elements. If it rains I have to take the Alpha in along with its USB cable. You can make a box for it but are limited as to how far you mount it from the computer. With the cat cable that is a non-issue with the Bullet,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I disagree. Setting up a wifi connection while following step by step instructions is no more complicated than, say, adjusting valve lash on a diesel engine or installing a battery charger. Also, there's almost no possibility of damaging anything, and the whole thing isn't really critical, so you can just take your time and you'll figure it out.

For $250, Island time PC is not a bad deal either. If you have no interest, patience, time, or confidence, this may be the way to go. But the hardest thing about doing it yourself is to figure out where to mount the antenna and how to route the cables, and you have to do that yourself either way.
It's like everything else. How do you ever expect to learn anything if you don't just get out there and do it? If you don't have all the answers, then pick up a book, get on the net, or just ask someone who knows more than you. (thanks again Ziggy) The important thing is to not be afraid to try. We didn't all learn to sail by taking a course.
Old 05-02-2013, 13:42   #30

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

http://www.flyteccomputers.com/shopc...addMerchID=243

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: