Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 01:25   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Heading indicator questsion

I have Ray seatalk ng equipment mostly, Speed thru water, wind, Depth. My present Autopilot a 2002 Coursemaster 850i, has Fluxgate, Rudder, a rate gyro.

My frustration is I would really like to see wind vector on my E7 Plotter, but it appears that my AP doesn't speak the nmea sentence req'd by the Ray E7 presumably, so I can neither set my AP to wind or see true or apparent wind, my AP does take WP and GPS coordinates from Ray.

According to Coursemaster I need to upgrade my Coursemaster AP about 3 Boatbucks. From Ray about 4 boatbucks and I will get one of those new evo200, my existing Linear Motor is a type 1.

I lean towards Evo, but not now, is there another solution to get heading info economically. What instrument. TIA
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 22:45   #2

Re: Heading indicator questsion

Do you have the pilot output connected to plotter input? If the pilot is getting gps. I would think the plotter would get heading. But you need 4 wires for that. I'm betting you only have 2 hooked up
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 01:28   #3

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Heading indicator questsion

A while ago I tried getting the data streaming to my computer, I got a variety of sentences but not the ones useful to the Raymarine. Found playing around with Navmon and DB9 a bit flaky, is there another way of seeing nmea sentences or confirming all wires are connected properly, unfortunately whoever fitted this plotter was a bit ruthless and cropped the whole bundle of wires short, they were only interested in powering the Plotter from the Compass light. Such tiny wires not easy to work with, mistakes are easy.

I've been led to believe that the nmea standard wasn"t particularly evolved in 2002 in this AP, they will send me a new chip with more recent updates for $270 but no guarantees.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head