Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 19:02   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Have to haves and wants

I am looking at purchasing a new boat. I am interested in this one model and when looking over the spec sheet I noticed it didn't list any electronics. So I contacted the builder and found out that in fact there are no electronics included, not even a radio. Weird. Anyway I started to make a list of what I thought was necessary but am struggling with needs over wants. This is my first boat so I thought I would ask the more experienced sailors what they thought. Our sailing plans include water sailing">blue water sailing. The boat is a double ender which looks like it may have some issues with gear. So please let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 19:40   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Have to haves and wants

Where in the world are you? What part of the world do you plan to sail? Do you plan to cross oceans? This information will probably help us give advice.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 19:54   #3

Right now I am currently in dubai, but home base is louisiana. The boat, if we buy it, is in Thailand. To get to us it would require a combination of cargo ship or cargo ship and sailing. Depending on where we land it. (Pirates) After that it will be coastal sailing for a touch as we get to know the boat and until hubby semi retires, then it is off to the pacific, where I would like to see Fiji and others.

The electronics can be bought in stages with the have to's right away. As I see it now the have to's are:
Vhf (ais optional)
Wind finder/depth finder/log
Autopilot
GPS

Like to:
Chart plotter
Iridium

But I am not sure if I am missing something

Old 04-03-2015, 19:59   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It might also help to know approximately what size boat it will be. ....and when you say a new boat, does that mean new to you or of recent manufacture?

Sometimes people write about buying boats as if it's like buying a car. Some boats of known manufacture have known flaws.

Anyhow, if we know the above, we'll be better able to advise.
Ann
Old 04-03-2015, 20:06   #5

Sorry guys I didn't mean to leave so much out. It is early hear and my brain needs a kick start. The boat is a hans Christian 48t to be purchased new from the builder.

Old 04-03-2015, 20:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Sorry guys I didn't mean to leave so much out. It is early hear and my brain needs a kick start. The boat is a hans Christian 48t to be purchased new from the builder.

Not sure why you are set on purchasing a new boat. For that type of money there are many lightly-sailed and immaculate used boats on the market that will give you more value for your outlay, and you will avoid the "new boat" depreciation hit.

That aside, outfit the boat in whatever manner will make you and hubby happy. Don't skimp. The people that post here from the "I can do without" roughing it angle make me laugh. Are they campers at heart? Unless funding is a key factor, have whatever you want; e.g., AC, freezers, washer-dryers, water makers, Inmarsat... everything! You have to live on the boat, so make yourselves happy and comfortable. You would do the same on land, would you not? Why change your thinking merely because it's a boat? And yes, it is JUST LIKE buying a new car, is it not? When you're set on a new Mercedes, loaded with all available options, do you walk into the dealership and say "We want to rough it, so could you please show us a beat-up '73 Ford Pinto wagon with a standard shift transmission!"? Since you're looking at a $700K boat, I already know your answer.

Have fun picking out your goodies, and when you sail past the campers wearing their "we do without" badge-of-honor t-shirts, wave hello as you tip your "icey cold" gin and tonics. Bitters or fresh lime is then truly your next decision. Just go below decks to the big galley and open up that huge fridge. You'll be happy you did.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 21:10   #7

I personally am not opposed to a used boat, even a tad of a fixer upper, I just can't get the money maker to agree. I pushed hard a moth or so ago and he just won't hear of it. So....it is a new boat for us. Money is not an issue, though we are frugal, we like to be comfortable. Two things I forgot aw wants, ? Radar, and tv. Now I personally don't watch tv but hubby does.

I saw that video on the Irwin and I thought, why can't you have it all?

Old 04-03-2015, 21:23   #8

Quote:
I personally am not opposed to a used boat, even a tad of a fixer upper, I just can't get the money maker to agree. I pushed hard a moth or so ago and he just won't hear of it. So....it is a new boat for us. Money is not an issue, though we are frugal, we like to be comfortable. Two things I forgot aw wants, ? Radar, and tv. Now I personally don't watch tv but hubby does.

I saw that video on the Irwin and I thought, why can't you have it all?

"Fixer upper?" haha Nope, for $700K you shouldn't have to do anything but fill the tanks and go. Not sure you and I are on the same page, or not, but for $690K I'll take this "fixer upper" every day of the week over a new Hans Christian. Take a close look at the interior photos. That's what I call a saloon! TV included. Look at the rear master cabin, with private cockpit to enjoy your morning tea. It already has everything you're mentioned, and it is from a HIGHLY respected builder in the great Northeast US. Ted Hood designed! Yippee.

1987 Little Harbor Little Harbor 63 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hubby refuses used? That's fine. Just be aware that there are many boats to choose from when bouncing the $700K number around.

Have fun! $$$$$$$$
Old 04-03-2015, 21:29   #9

Ok, my choice of boats is mine to make or mistake, that wasn't my question.

Old 04-03-2015, 21:36   #10

Quote:
Ok, my choice of boats is mine to make or mistake, that wasn't my question.

Oh, that's right! You wanted us to tell you want you want and need on a sail boat. My mistake. Just keep in mind that the size and layout of any particular vessel will determine what you can fit on the boat.

He needs a TV? Great! Spend away! As for what else YOU want, isn't that YOUR decision, brookiesailor?

For electronics, get EVERYTHING! The BEST of everything. Contact your local Hans Christian representative and discuss it. He/she will be happy to lighten your wallet.

Have fun sailing... and watching TV!

Oh, one more thing before I go. If you're not sure yet if you'll need radar, put the boat on hold and take some sailing classes with qualified instructors. Hubby also. Hope that helps you with what YOU want and need.
Old 04-03-2015, 21:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Anything you add to the boat you'll have to maintain. Salt and electronics, electricity, etc are bitter enemies and salt almost always wins. If this is your first boat, I'd recommend getting the fin keel version of the boat. A full keel boat has major issues with maneuverability in close quarters. Learning to handle a 40,000#, 48' boat, plus a bowsprit boat is a major undertaking made even more difficult with a full keel. I wouldn't want to be in the marina you use as home base until several months after you start using the boat. Can't imagine sailing on a 48' boat without a crew. Why such a large boat assuming there is just two of you.

I wouldn't be surprised that if you look carefully you are going to find a whole lot of other things that are not standard equipment on the boat like refrigeration, sails, at least more than just simple working sails, dinghy(s), etc. etc. They are almost add ons because people like to make the boats systems unique for their needs.

The best wind finder I've ever used is my nose. It can sense the direction of the wind instantly, day or night, rain or shine. Until you can do that, stay away from electronic aids. Wind point/windspeed gauges are largely there for the unaware and bragging rights in dockside yarn spinning. A knot meter/log is necessary for almost any hope of accuracy should your electronics force you to go to basic DR Navigation. Depth Sounders are also handy navigation aids in coastal waters. I like my chart plotter though could get by with a simple GPS and paper charts. Many people won't leave home without radar but it's an expense I've lived without sailing around much of the Pacific and with GPS is largely superfluous. If you are sailing in with lots of shipping, an AIS will tell them all about you way better than their puzzling over there radar, that is if they are looking at the radar or even maintaining a lookout. If sailing to remote parts of the world is in the plan, some form of long range communication is nice to have. I have an SSB ham radio with Pactor modem, others use marine SSB radio and still others are attached to the Satellites to keep in contact those back home or anywhere around the world. A couple of Epirbs for the boat and smaller ones (PLB) for each of you might save your life. Talking about life saving, a life raft has some merit. Some form of self steering is a must. Personally prefer the simplicity and reliability of wind powered self steering. For a boat that large, you may be forced to go with an AutoPilot. If you go the electronic route, double the cost of the system for spares and figure out how you are going to feed it. Auto Pilots don't work for free like self steering vanes.

PortClydeMe's advice to look at used boats is really good advice. The depreciation hit on a new boat is tremendous, possibly as much as you would spend on buying a little less grand used boat. Don't agree at all with the rest of his post, though. As I said above, any systems you add to the boat will have to be maintained. I want to live free and easy and go where and when I want. Hanging around in every dirty large harbor I'm forced to go to get people to fix what is broke is not my idea of what cruising is all about. Have lived for a year or more at a time without most of the frue frues of a typical American and it has been the happiest and most rewarding times of my life. You don't have to set your boat up as the proverbial 'hair shirt' but most things that people load on their boats are just head aches down the line that they would be happier without.

Anyway, good luck in your adventure. Sure others will have all sorts of input for you.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 21:52   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Chart plotter is a must have.
AIS or Radar - you make the choice but AIS is way easier to use.
VHF, wind, and auto pilot - you have them all.

Don't forget my wife's must have - fresh water flushing toilet and a washing machine.
Old 04-03-2015, 21:53   #13

Geez Port, I think she asked a fair question about what prudent boat ELECTRONICS are to be recommended -

Are you honestly trying to help? It doesn't sound like it at all -
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 22:15   #14

Ok the size thing. This boat is actually smaller than what hubby wants. He has his heart set on a passport 545. But is having trouble parting with a million dollars. It still may happen as we are weighing our options. That is part of my asking the question, the HC, though a much different boat, has fewer things standard. What I am wondering is that if I add all the things that come standard on the passport am I getting closer to the price of the boat I really want?

Old 04-03-2015, 22:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Geez Port, I think she asked a fair question about what prudent boat ELECTRONICS are to be recommended -

Are you honestly trying to help? It doesn't sound like it at all -
Yes, I was trying to be helpful. Let's put things into perspective, shall we?
They are looking to buy a new $670K+ Hans Christian 48-footer. I assumed that they had already worked past the details of what electronics will be needed. They are not on welfare, so I suggested for them to get "the BEST of everything." That's what I will also do. Don't skimp, not even one little bit. If they are still unsure as to what electronics come standard on the boat, then finding out that information is as easy as contacting the sales representative, or merely surfing the Internet. She has an Internet connection already.

Didn't she ask about whether or not she should have TV and a radar system? Is thread even real?

Sorry if my latter response sounded sarcastic. It was MEANT to sound that way.