Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 19:21   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Handheld Wind Meter

I am looking to purchase a basic wind meter. Something that is reasonably robust, water proof and that floats for under $200.
Also, what is the consensus on a all-in-one instrument vs separate sensor with separate readout ? Lastly, how important is the sensor style - fan style where you have to be sure to hold the instrument properly vs a cup style or similar that shows the right wind speed no matter how the instrument is presented to the wind.
I would appreciate suggestions.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:33   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Hand held wind meter

There used to a thing called a Ventimeter - dunno if its still around. Basically it was a conical clear plastic instrument with a wind scale marked up the side (a bit like a measuring jug). Inside it had a flat disk. It had a small hole at the bottom through which the wind would blow, raising the disk and you could read off the wind speed. No electrics, no fuss, only one moving part. Mind you, I haven't come across one for nearly 30 years.... Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:38   #3

Any reason for not rocking the mast mounted one? You can get a wireless tactic for not too much money.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 20:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've had one of these for a few years. Speedtech by WeatherHawk SM-18 Skymate Windmeter, Yellow
Seems unbreakable and weather resistant and fits in a jacket or pants pocket. It does need batteries replaced occasionally but they are pretty cheap. Works great, can read in mph, knots, Kilometers ph, and Beaufort scale plus temperature. Found it really handy as I can now brag with authority how much fun sailing in force 6 conditions is.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:16   #5

We got a Kestrel at a marine swap meet. It seems great- though we haven't used it a lot. It's a nice back up.

http://www.allkestrel.com/product.as...FRJThwodqzd9Og
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 22:05   #6
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Any reason for not rocking the mast mounted one? You can get a wireless tactic for not too much money.
Originally my thought was a mast mounted unit but all the prices I have seen indicate $700 and up and there was some question if that even included the readout.
How do they handle power ? Is the actual sensor battery powered, solar powered or do I have to run power up the mast ?

The Tactick To33 is well into the $700 range (and mast top unit is self powered)
Old 22-02-2012, 22:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

I would have thought you'd get one off Ebay for a lot less than $200.

wind meter | eBay
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 23:59   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

This is under $200. Waterproof in the sense that if it gets wet you dry it with the supplied pipe cleaners.

WINDMETERKNOT by DWYER - Buy or Repair at PLCCenter - PLCCenter.com

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:30   #9
Jd1

Re: Handheld Wind Meter

Thanks John but I think I would like to go a tad more high tech than that.

Looks like I will get a low end Kestrel meter unless there are more suggestions.
Nobody has said anything about the sensor type - fan type uni-directional or squirrel cage omni directional type. Any thoughts ?
Old 23-02-2012, 07:23   #10

Boat: Catalina 34

We've got a Speedtech (WeatherHawk) WindMate 200 that we picked up on eBay for about $75. It works great, though we don't use it often. To be honest, it's simply not as convenient as a fixed mount unit for a quick glance at wind speed and direction. But if you need wind speed data at an affordable price, it's a decent option.

Another option to consider is the "Wind Meter" app for iPhone/iOS devices. It's probably not quite as accurate as the WindMate, but it's only about $1 if you've got an iOS device. It uses an alogrhithm to estimate wind speed based on noise from the mic.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:11   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mast mounted anemometer/windpoint is going to set you back at least a boat unit and you'll have to pull the stick to install if it's a cable unit. I got my windmate on Ebay for .075 boat units. There is a reason not to go with a mast unit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:27   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use a small hand held unit and I have a full set of electronics (radar, chartplotter etc) I can always tell wind direction (I’m sailing aren’t I) and once in a while I would like wind speed, but this has nothing to do with shortening sail (I know people who manage their sails by their wind speed indicator) I use my eyes, ears and face to measure the drive system. I pull out my small hand held to get accurate measurements for my log so I can track fronts I don’t see $700-1000 needed to do this and wind direction indicator, ahh, if you are convinced you really need this I have a bridge you might be interested in.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:28   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've used a Kestrel 4000 for the past five years. It's a full weather station, including a windy. Records data going back many days, and displays in graphical format. Particularly nice for barometer readings.

We now have a windy at the mast head, so now I can compare speed differential between top of mast and cockpit.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:48   #14
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I don’t see $700-1000 needed to do this and wind direction indicator, ahh, if you are convinced you really need this I have a bridge you might be interested in.
Funny you mention that, there is a big blue bridge just down the road that is just being removed - I could probably get that pretty cheap

Anyhow, it's not a question of 'need' at all ... after all, either the wind blows or it doesn't but I can't change it one way or another. Hence, the $0.70BU to $1BU is out of the question. I would however like to be able to learn to judge approximate wind speed so I can tell my stories with some level of accuracy I know there was a lot of wind out there last weekend for example but I don't have a clue if it was 20 knots or 30 knots of wind. IMHO it is pretty important to be able to get a clear picture of what a weather forecast tells me. Maybe 20 knots is my limit of comfort, maybe it's 30 knots - I can't tell at this point.
I don't think I need a complicated weather station (our trips only last 4 or 5 hrs at a time), just something basic that gives me a clue about wind speed.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:09   #15
Jd1

Thanks guys for your input. The deed is done and a Kestrel 2000 has been ordered.