Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 17:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Handheld GPS for anchor alarm?

I the garmin 7* series can connect to a PC. The ones I have provide for an external antenna and a PC connection.

By the time you desl,with the PC connection and the power overhead of a PC, the iPhone or iPad may be cheaper.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 17:40   #17

Boat: Balboa 27

My garmin Colorado cost $100 on ebay and the alarm is loud enough to wake me. I keep it plugged in using a cheap micro USB cord (and 12V USB adaper), with Alkaline batteries for backup. If it loses external power it automatically switches to the internal alkalines.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:01   #18

Boat: gozzard 44

If you're simply looking for a device to be an anchor alert and have an iPhone or iPad download an app --Anchor Alert or The free Drag Queen. (The iPad needs to have a GPS, either internal or external).

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:25   #19

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

I really need to spend more time on the forum instead of going snorkelling, drinking and sailing because there are some really greats suggestions in this thread. Thank you for the ideas.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:40   #20

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Don't Forget . . .

to set your GPS to where you dropped the anchor and not to where the boat happens to be when you "set", the anchor.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
My Garmin GPS map 76cx has an anchor alarm.

I never use one. I ensure that I have sufficient scope and am well set. I sleep better that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If some dummy can cut my anchor chain with his power boat !! I will sure feel it and hear it as his engines dump as they wrap up my chain !! LOL there is something to be said for proper anchoring equipment!! It relieves many worrys!! Just sayin spend your boat dollars on good anchoring equpiment, and ya won't have to worry about things like dragging !
Bob, Connie and jackdale,

I agree. I wrote this on another forum about anchor alarms:

I'll start off by admitting that I am odd. I anchor in two of the same places on an almost weekly basis.

Both are protected "basins" that have little change in wind and/or current.

The wind is usually from the west or northwest when I anchor, and in the morning I wake up with the boat facing east with little or no wind.

Sometimes I'll anchor in a different place where the current changes and have reported on those techniques, in reply to John R's comments, in the Sailing or Cruising Discussion forum. Anchoring lesson learned - Catalina 36 International Association Forums

I have also anchored in tidal rivers with reversing currents, fore and aft.

Perhaps because of the predictable winds, or lack thereof, and no storm fronts moving through, I never hesitate to go below after the anchor is set (by backing down on it) and have a quiet peaceful night with no interruptions.

Only twice in the last 14 years have I ever even thought about setting an anchor alarm, and that only to see what would be recorded on the GPS track feature.

Perhaps I have the advantage of having good anchorages that I frequent, but I simply have no need to use an anchor alarm, or get up in the middle of the night.

I am sure that if I was in a different part of the country, I might use one, if regular major wind shifts and velocities occurred.

I find that good anchoring gear and knowledge of the paces I anchor in makes a BIG difference.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:23   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Perhaps I have the advantage of having good anchorages that I frequent, but I simply have no need to use an anchor alarm, or get up in the middle of the night.
Anchoring in undemanding places helps, but an anchor is never 100% secure and I am always puzzled by those that don't use the insurance policy of an anchor alarm. For most boats there is no extra equipment to buy, with the right gear minimal power consumption (about the same as an led anchor light).

You should sleep better knowing your GPS "crew" is watching out. I do.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:35   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

I myself an pretty new to sailing and find the anchor alarm reassuring. On our last trip we were traveling and around noon at the last designated anchorage on our chart we knew were were not going to reach another during daylight. Sailed until the sun started to set and then found a nice spot outside the channel and dropped the hook and turned on the anchor light and set the alarm. I was awakened at 2am by someone in a powerboat spotlighting us as they motored by, probably shrimping. It is nice to be able to stay in my rack and look at the ipod and know we have only moved 30 feet and since the bearing to the anchor has changed the movement is probably just a wind change. I bet I would have felt it if spotlight guy had run through my rope rode, but you never know.
Old 23-01-2013, 06:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

You should sleep better knowing your GPS "crew" is watching out. I do.
If I am that unsure of my set, I will set an anchor watch and have done so. After we dragged in Mexico during the day, we set a watch for the night.

I sense that much of this discussion is about a technological imperative, if a technology exists, we need it. This is found in healthcare especially, and I see it in boating.

I learned to sail without GPS. I bought my first one (Garmin 48) to deal with fog. I would rather use radar, but many of the boats on which I teach do not have it.

With an anchor alarm I have one more thing to worry about - does my anchor alarm work?

As someone pointed out earlier, the alarm has to be set when you are directly over the anchor.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:25   #25

Boat: Irwin Citation, 38, Bonsai1

Good day All, I use my Garmin 76 when we're on the hook, I wired up a 12 volt female receptacle in our stateroom near my pillow, when the alarm goes off, I simply turn my head, look to see if we are dragging or simply swinging, and cancel the alarm. If I see a ' MOON CRESCENT' on the GPS screen, I know we are fine, BUT A PINE tree design on the screen, I know we have to go top side and have a look. My two cents worth.
bateaubonsai1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, gps