Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 13:25   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Do you have the output set to NEMA or Garmin?
I have tried both. What seems to be happening is that data is being transferred cause with the gps on the mouse jumps all over the place. I've used this gps on the same computers for other programs like delorme. national geo maps with no problems.
I uninstalled opencpn and reinstalled it a couple of times without success
__________________

__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 14:03   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i agree with that! the old garmin 12 (i still have two of them) was completely intuitive - must have been designed by some engineers from Apple. my newer 72 may have a few advantages over the 12, but entering waypoints is not one of them...
Press Enter (Mark) and hold about 1 sek. Pop comes your WPT. Save, or edit and save.

What can be less intuitive than this?

If they were designed by Apple, they would cost USD 600 apiece, have no buttons, and would not allow you to upload nor download anything unless you had iTunes installed on your MacBook. ;-)

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 15:42   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Press Enter (Mark) and hold about 1 sek. Pop comes your WPT. Save, or edit and save.

What can be less intuitive than this?

If they were designed by Apple, they would cost USD 600 apiece, have no buttons, and would not allow you to upload nor download anything unless you had iTunes installed on your MacBook. ;-)

b.
hahaha....you are exactly right. I stopped using my iphone because of that stuff.
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:12   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I have tried both. What seems to be happening is that data is being transferred cause with the gps on the mouse jumps all over the place. I've used this gps on the same computers for other programs like delorme. national geo maps with no problems. I uninstalled opencpn and reinstalled it a couple of times without success
So it's not a GPS problem but rather a serial to USB problem? I had this same problem with a cheap converter, the more expensive one works fine.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:58   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
So it's not a GPS problem but rather a serial to USB problem? I had this same problem with a cheap converter, the more expensive one works fine.
you mean the adapter that goes from the rs232 to usb?
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 19:01   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Re: Hand held GPS

Yep...
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 19:15   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yep...
thanks, i'll get another. what kind do you have?
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 15:21   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
thanks, i'll get another. what kind do you have?
I'm away from the boat for two weeks, but I think I found the brand in the opencpn manual or somewhere else on the site.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 17:24   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'm away from the boat for two weeks, but I think I found the brand in the opencpn manual or somewhere else on the site.
I found a list on there site but all seemed to have issues
GPS Devices | Official OpenCPN Homepage
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 18:49   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I found a list on there site but all seemed to have issues
GPS Devices | Official OpenCPN Homepage
this looks like what I got, but I'm not sure......didn't really pay attention to the brand.

StarTech ICUSB2321X 1 Port USB to Serial Adapter Cable - 1ft, COM Retention, 230Kbps, Male to Male at TigerDirect.com
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 22:19   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
this looks like what I got, but I'm not sure......didn't really pay attention to the brand.

StarTech ICUSB2321X 1 Port USB to Serial Adapter Cable - 1ft, COM Retention, 230Kbps, Male to Male at TigerDirect.com
I'll get one thanks. Did you need to install a driver?
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 05:55   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I'll get one thanks. Did you need to install a driver?
I'm pretty sure I did.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 18:03   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
Re: Hand held GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure I did.
ot her fixed thanks to you. my adapter was shot got one like your and she worked. The driver did not have to be installed
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:47   #29
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Hand held GPS

Iinstead of starting a new thread I have decided to revive this old thread.

I am considering joining the 21st century and purchasing a GPS with some basic charting functions. I have a couple of longer passages coming up into less familiar territory.

Although I can easily navigate the main shipping channel through the thousand islands with out the benefits of electronics, I'm likely to do some unknowing this summer that will take me off the beaten path.

Has anybody used an etrex 20 with BlueChart g2 to assist in navigation on the great lakes. I know the screen is small but I use paper charts for planning? I want the portability of handheld so I can take it ashore, in the zodiac, in the canoe etc.

I have 3 other GPS on board, non with charting capability though.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 13:42   #30
Registered User
 
Sailor Doug's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lake Erie
Boat: H36
Posts: 384
Re: Hand held GPS

Buy a iPad.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.