Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Ham Licensing

I came across a Technician and General license class being offered in New Britain, CT for free! I think each test will be $14.00, whadda bargain!!! Here is the link with info: ARRLWeb: Licensing Class Search

I don't think there are very many here that are local, I just wanted to make the info available. I talked to the instructor, he said that there will be instructors there to enable you to take the Technician and General Exam. I would have to schedule a different date for the Extra license. Would just taking the technician and general tests be enough for what I will be using the license for? Or should I schedule for the Extra exam. What benefit would it give me to get that Extra license. Also, I have a station license for the boat and a restricted operators license. Is that all I would need to use a Ham Radio for transmitting and receiving on all frequencies, radio faxes, emailing and such.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:06   #2

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Check out the study guides available free online, QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests I used it and passed the tec. test at a local ham club, I will be taking the general course and test soon.
These courses pretty much help memorize the questions on the tests, you can get a lot of practical knowlege from a local Ham radio club, they are usually looking to get more people involved in Ham radio and very helpful.
Steve
KE5WLV
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Now that the code requirement is gone, all you need to do is memorize the answers to the questions that are published. You should get the general class license not the technician class.

KG4JIL
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 17:32   #4

Boat: Starfire 32 Privateer
Even in Australia things have gotten very simple over the last few years. Being able to get a limited licence with very little study required. I think it is fantastic, it was a dying art for a long time

VK5GAS
Rimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:23   #5

Boat: William Garden Ketch
In answer to your question a General class will probably allow you to do everything you want. I stopped at Advanced Class as I couldn't get my code up to the level required at the time. Now that they have dropped those requirements I guess I should think about it just for the fun of it. I just reinstalled my ham set after a couple years off and have found the ham bands quite quiet now. Not like cruising in the old days when you charged up the batteries three times a day to talk on the ham. Guess the internet is taking over.

Mark

N8QED
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 22:05   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Having the ham license is well worth the effort. Being able to do pactor on the ham bands means you have essentially unlimited weather information through Winlink.

Being able to make contact with the Maritime Mobile nets is also a great asset.

Internet is great, but when you are out in the middle of the ocean, it's great to have Winlink at your fingertips.

Dave NP4I Extra Class since 1982
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35   #7

I just found out that he will be arranging testing for all 3 classes, so I can feasibly walk out with an Extra license. This class that I'm going to meets once a week for 10 weeks. It's all free. There is a $14.00 fee to take exams. So you pay $14.00 and you can take all three test's. As long as you pass them your set. If you have to retake any test, it wil cost you another $14.00. The last 3 weeks of the course they will help you figure out what you need and for your specific agenda and provide technical assistance. For me, they'll come out to the boat and help get everything going. The only payment they want is for me to return the favor to someone else. I can do that!

I wanted to ask this again, I have a station license, restricted operator's license and soon an Extra license. Is this all I need to operate all radio's on the boat, radio fax's, and so on?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FCC Operator Class(s):

FCC's Amateur Radio page by dxzone.com

Technician
The privileges of a Technician Class operator license include operating an amateur station that may transmit on channels in any of 17 frequency bands above 50 MHz with up to 1,500 watts of power. To pass the Technician Class examination, at least 26 questions from a 35 question written examination must be answered correctly. Technician Class licensees also have privileges in four amateur service bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to Section 97.301(e)).

General
The General Class operator license authorizes privileges in all 27 amateur service bands. Upon accreditation by a Volunteer-Examiner Coordinator (VEC), an individual can help administer certain examinations. In addition to the above written examination, the requirement for a General Class operator license includes a 35 question written examination for which 26 correctly answered questions is the minimum passing score.

Amateur Extra
The privileges of an Amateur Extra Class operator license include additional spectrum in the HF bands. In addition to the two above written examinations, the requirement for an Amateur Extra Class operator license includes answering correctly at least 37 questions on a 50 question written examination.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
How times have changed. When I got my Extra Class ticket, I had to pass a 20 word per minute code test. Now there is no code test at all.

Morse code has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as the FCC is concerned. It's interesting that you can send and recieve code faster than you can text using a cell phone. Of course you must be very proficient with morse code.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:06   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post

I wanted to ask this again, I have a station license, restricted operator's license and soon an Extra license. Is this all I need to operate all radio's on the boat, radio fax's, and so on?

Thanks,

Jeff
Yes.
The easy part is obtaining the license. The much harder part is knowing how to obtain the best performance from them and the antenna(s) during the current sunspot null. The local ham radio club will be your biggest help in dealing with these issues.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Morse code has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as the FCC is concerned.
Maybe as far as the FCC is concerned but not in reality. Interest in morse code actually went up after the test requirement was eliminated. I only had to take the 5wpm test when I got my license which was very easy. I was not really interested in code until 3 years later. I was hooked after getting my speed up and now operate mostly CW. It's a blast and I encourage anyone getting a ham license to give it a try. Practice every day and you can get your speed up to over 20wpm very quickly. I got to over 35wpm in just a couple years. CW works great on the M802 and the M710 as well if you install the 500hz filter.

Eric N3EF

BTW, if your in the Annapolis, MD area, the Anne Arundel Radio Club is offering a free class for the General license that starts this coming Saturday.
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 22:47   #12
Hal

I noticed that no one ever answered your question, Jeff. The answer is yes.

Hal W5GHZ
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 03:35   #13

It's only my pride that allows me to think anyone cares lol...But last night I was able to put my thinking cap on for a moment to pass the technician and general test. I nearly got the Extra, I will try again next month. I am waiting now to fi nd out what my callsign is. I really won't be able to do anything with it anyway since I have no radio!

Thanks all,

Jeff

Old 16-09-2009, 04:18   #14

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Congratulations. I'm studying for mine as well.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 05:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post

BTW, if your in the Annapolis, MD area, the Anne Arundel Radio Club is offering a free class for the General license that starts this coming Saturday.
I can't say enough good about the Anne Arundel Radio Club. This summer I took the Tech class but tested for Tech and General on the same day. Tested on a Saturday and my call was in the FCC database on the following Tuesday!

Cost to me? Zero! They are one of the few clubs left not charging for exams.

I'm awaiting a power cable to be able to install our ICOM 725 and then we will be on the air.

KB3THV

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote