Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 07:41   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Ham License

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Congrats. When you get the rig up we might even try a contact. I've been a ham since 2001 , but don't use it much , I must really get by house HF rig up and running again

Dave
OK, let's do it.

The only thing is I now understand (after my studying) that it is really against the rules to use my M802 on ham frequencies if it is also used for marine frequencies Maybe a good excuse to buy another transceiver (and anyway the M802 doesn't do VHF or UHF), but on the other hand hate to clutter up the boat with even more gizmos . . . . hmmm. . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:19   #92
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nice accomplishment, Dockhead!

While the authorities want a marine SSB installation to be totally isolated from a ham radio installation, presumably so the integrity and opeartion of the marine safety equipment (the SBB) can't be compromised, in point of practice I think you will find there is no authority which is charged with coming around to boats to actually monitor your operations and verify that. In the UK there may be more "monitoring" in general than in the US, but stateside the FCC only monitors transmissions when there are ongoing complaints, they say they have no budget for it. And the USCG says they aren't in the business of inspecting FCC licenses in general.
So, much like jaywalking, commingled operation may be against the law BUT as long as you are following proper operating procedures, proper power limits, clean emissions, etc. ? You won't be the first one to do it that way.
You could of course install twin installations, one for each service but both the same rig so there's only one learning curve about how to use it. Or, install a real ham radio, which will have operations and features targeted more for ham use, i.e. tuning to frequencies instead of channels.
The ARRL also publishes some operator guides, which will tell you how things are generally done, if you want to read up on them. Perversely available way cheaper from Amazon than directly from the ARRL.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:45   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dockhead,

Congratulations! Name a frequency and time -- let's see if we can make the Pacific Northwest to England path light up.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:45   #94

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The only thing is I now understand (after my studying) that it is really against the rules to use my M802 on ham frequencies if it is also used for marine frequencies.
I don't think that's the case. I'm a pretty rule-bound guy and I don't see any indication of that anywhere. The three-finger salute to open your 802 doesn't change it's performance (which is the issue) on the marine bands so it will continue to work within its certified specs there. There are no hardware changes necessary to use your 802 on the ham (or air) bands.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:17   #95
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There used to be some regs, I believe for the Ships Station License, that prohibited the use of the "station" equipment for any other purpose. AFAIK they are still in effect, so in theory if you have a ham station and a marine station on the same boat, you can't use the same antenna and tuner for both, you'd need two.

Given that the Icom Dockhead has is certified and authorized to be used on both services...some ahred equipment seems probable and logical "but"...you'd have to check out the rules to be sure. Or, just don't use the radio on both services whilst any official boarding parties are on board.<G>
Old 27-02-2013, 11:48   #96

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK, let's do it.

The only thing is I now understand (after my studying) that it is really against the rules to use my M802 on ham frequencies if it is also used for marine frequencies .
Although Susan is the Ham operator, we have been using our former 710 and current 802 for SSB and Ham use for many years. We have not yet met any other Hams that use any other radio on their boat other than an Icom 802, although I know not everyone does, and every one operates both Ham and SSB. We have never seen any regulations that would not allow the 802 to be used for Ham and SSB purposes and as others have said, the radio police have been defunded. Icom builds the radios and sells them with both SSB and Ham capabilities and I doubt they could do that if such regulations existed for the 802. Just my opinion. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:12   #97

Boat: Outremer 50S

Dockhead, Congrats on passing all of the exams

I wouldn't worry too much about separate radios, most people ignore that requirement. However, just in case, here is the US regulation, from CFR Part 97 that covers amateur radio:

Quote:
§ 97.11 Stations aboard ships or aircraft.

(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command of the aircraft.
(b) The station must be separate from and independent of all other radio apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft, except a common antenna may be shared with a voluntary ship radio installation. The station's transmissions must not cause interference to any other apparatus installed on the ship or aircraft.
(c) The station must not constitute a hazard to the safety of life or property. For a station aboard an aircraft, the apparatus shall not be operated while the aircraft is operating under Instrument Flight Rules, as defined by the FAA, unless the station has been found to comply with all applicable FAA Rules.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:53   #98
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chuck-
"Icom builds the radios and sells them with both SSB and Ham capabilities and I doubt they could do that if such regulations existed for the 802. "
You are confusing what is regulated and how.

There are no "regulations" for the radio, except "Type Acceptance" which allows a commercial manufacturer to offer a radio for sale in a specific service (i.e. Amatuer Radio Service, Maritime Service, etc.). The FCC certification means "this may be legally advertised and marketed for operation in a certain service" and that's all.

The dual-purpose ICOMs are simply being certified and sold as capable of being used in two services. In the same way that no one needs a license to simply BUY one...the rules allow anyone to buy one, and anyone to put it to either use. But dual use?

Heck, there are GE handie-talkie radios that are certified and approved for use in the marine service, government/public service (fire and police) and amatuer radio as well. The same radio can be sold--and programmed--for multiple uses, but you still have to have the appropriate license and follow the rules for each service.

Thank you, Dsnaduril, for that citation! That's the one I was sure governed this.
Old 27-02-2013, 13:24   #99

Boat: Outremer 50S

Part of the Part 80 (Marine Radio) regulations says something about only being able to tune the radio to identified marine channels, not to other frequencies. Can't remember if that only applies to VHF rather than MF/HF.

I suppose one option would be to keep the radio programming software aboard the boat with two profiles, one for HAM, one for Marine. When you want to use HAM you can load the HAM profile with the HAM frequencies (channels) into the radio, and when you want to go marine you can load the Marine channels profile. That way, if operating HAM you could (legitimately?) claim that you don't have a Marine SSB aboard and vice versa. Seems like a pain, but possibly within the letter of the law? Since the radio is type accepted for both it is only a difference of programming between one and the other.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:10   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Congratulations Dockhead!
Well done

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 15:23   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Dockhead, Congrats on passing all of the exams

I wouldn't worry too much about separate radios, most people ignore that requirement. However, just in case, here is the US regulation, from CFR Part 97 that covers amateur radio:
That is exactly the regulation I was thinking of

Seems pretty clear.

I wonder if the rules in Europe are the same?
Old 27-02-2013, 15:24   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Congratulations Dockhead!
Well done
Thanks!
Old 27-02-2013, 15:27   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Dockhead,

Congratulations! Name a frequency and time -- let's see if we can make the Pacific Northwest to England path light up.
By all means!

It will be a while, however -- my mast is still down. I suppose I'll be re-rigged and in the water (and on the air!) in April some time.

73's!
Old 27-02-2013, 17:00   #104

Boat: Catalina 470

Dockhead,
Congrats!!!
And, welcome!!!

John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:40   #105

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

very nice, great job!

I picked up an old kenwood ts440, tuner, power supply and dipole out back for less than $400 bux.Right after getting my general. Using at home an learning the ropes of ham radio. Been monitoring 14.300mhz mobile martime net, following cruising boats as they travel.
I have found the ham radio hobby quite nice and full of great people. I was hoping to get a smaller Icom 706 for the boat but i eally love this Kenwood.....great receive audio!

good luck and have fun!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license