Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 16:09   #1

GX2150 Standard Horizon VHF Radio to RM E120

Heres my situation. I have two Raymarine E120's, Simrad AP26 autopilot, GP 37 Furuno gps unit, Furuno FR8252 25kw radar and an ICOM 602 radio. I purchased a SH GX2150 for an additional radio. The radio has an AIS receiver built in and I was able to wire it so the GPS and AIS worked on the radio. I did this by overlapping some connections on a terminal block under the helm although it will not show any vessels on the E120 screen. From what I've been told the E120s only have one port so that is the problem. Since I wired the new SH radio up I've noticed that the autopilot is not working in the Nav mode. No signal. Do I need a RM multiplexer?
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:10   #2

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Re: GX2150 Standard Horizon vhf radio to RM E120

yes you need a multiplexer and not one from RM, take a look at brookhouse and actisense multiplexers. also check standard horizons own website, they have specific instructions for interfacing to the rm and other chart plotters.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
yes you need a multiplexer and not one from RM, take a look at brookhouse and actisense multiplexers. also check standard horizons own website, they have specific instructions for interfacing to the rm and other chart plotters.
Why are the Brookhouse and Actisense multiplexers better or what do they do the RM doesn't. I checked out the info on SH website and that is helpful. Unfortunately I don't understand enough about nema to know if I need a multiplexer. Will try the wiring diagram shown to see what happens.
Thanks
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56   #4

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

The Raymarine stand-alone multiplexer only handles 4,800bps in and out, you will need one that handles 38,400bps for AIS unlike the multiplexer that is integrated into their AIS products.
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com this is the SH page for the manuals, the page for the GX2150 for Raymarine C & E series plotter is not going to help any as they are only concerned with the radio connection, take a look for the the connections for the GX2100 using the brookhouse mux, it shows there are spare inputs available for NMEA for the pilot etc.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, vhf