Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2012, 07:24   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Good Price On Hard Drives

Everyone knows they should be regularly backing up their computers on board, right? And that they should have backups of those backups, right?

I went to Walmart yesterday (we are on "vacation" in the US and still getting used to wearing shoes - well, flip flops actually but they still feel funny) and they are selling 500GB Toshiba portable hard drives for $30. It is this one: Amazon.com: Toshiba Automatic Backup 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - PH2050U-1EWL (Blue): Computers & Accessories

It comes with automatic backup software that is supposed to start backing up every time the drive is mounted. In my experience, these never work well and one should immediately erase this stuff and use a better backup program instead or just do it manually.

While it isn't the fastest or best hard drive out there, at $30 it is good enough for backup use and you can afford two or three of them for the cost of most others.

They also had 8GB flash drives for $4 if you need some cheap portable memory.

On the other hand, we rarely get back to the "land of everything", so maybe these are just normal prices in the first world?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 18:39   #2

Re: Good Price On Hard Drives

Although I have no true issues with Toshiba products and I actually have one of their laptops (and am happy with it) I would probably stick to one of the name brands for hard-drives - those being Seagate and Western Digital. You will spend a little more but you will have a hard-drive made by a company who specializes in hard-drives.

For software just use Cobian backup - it's free and easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Everyone knows they should be regularly backing up their computers on board, right? And that they should have backups of those backups, right?

I went to Walmart yesterday (we are on "vacation" in the US and still getting used to wearing shoes - well, flip flops actually but they still feel funny) and they are selling 500GB Toshiba portable hard drives for $30. It is this one: Amazon.com: Toshiba Automatic Backup 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - PH2050U-1EWL (Blue): Computers & Accessories

It comes with automatic backup software that is supposed to start backing up every time the drive is mounted. In my experience, these never work well and one should immediately erase this stuff and use a better backup program instead or just do it manually.

While it isn't the fastest or best hard drive out there, at $30 it is good enough for backup use and you can afford two or three of them for the cost of most others.

They also had 8GB flash drives for $4 if you need some cheap portable memory.

On the other hand, we rarely get back to the "land of everything", so maybe these are just normal prices in the first world?

Mark

Old 04-03-2013, 12:04   #3

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island 416

Since hard drives are supposed to remain still on a table while running, because the drive is spinning like a gyroscope, and moving them about could cause damage, what about the fact that a sailboat could be pitching, yawing, rising, and falling, especially in bad weather?
Has anyone experienced any problem with this? How do computers get along with sailing?Are solid-state hard drives recommended?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Price On Hard Drives

Hi Newkid.. Welcome to CF..
Most folk use Laptops/Notebooks tho' I know some with the Desktop Comps... absolutely no problems

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:03   #5

Thanks, That’s good to know.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:25   #6

Boat: csy 37

i use thumb drives for backup. just don't have that much stuff to back up. and they take very little space, can be bought very cheap, and have no moving parts.
Old 05-03-2013, 14:31   #7

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid View Post
Since hard drives are supposed to remain still on a table while running, because the drive is spinning like a gyroscope, and moving them about could cause damage, what about the fact that a sailboat could be pitching, yawing, rising, and falling, especially in bad weather?
Has anyone experienced any problem with this? How do computers get along with sailing?Are solid-state hard drives recommended?
The new hard-drives are quite rugged these days. And, if you're running a computer backup while the boat is bashing around, you have different priorities than me.
Old 05-03-2013, 14:39   #8

We use Toshiba PHDs, have for years, they work just fine. When I first started using one for backups and transferring between my laptop and desktop (home machine) the reviews of Toshiba products were better than Seagate and Western Digital, by far. I have one, my son has another. The new price is very very good. The backup software is clunky, but it works, I find I do a lot manually for updates, but run the full backup monthly on the desktop.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:51   #9

Boat: Catalina 36

You can get a 1TB passport for less than $100
Passport
It might be worth going for 'bigger' if you're saving a lot of pictures

as an aside, does anyone remember when a single gig of memory was a huge financial investment? Now you can get terabytes for almost nothing.
Old 05-03-2013, 15:01   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Best bet is to backup online as well. Assuming you aren't making a ton of changes, you should be able to catch up whenever you can get online.
Old 05-03-2013, 15:10   #11

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid View Post
Welcome aboard, Newkid. I've never had any probs with hard drives, or laptops/computers in general aboard. Apart from the one left under a leak for a few weeks when I went away
Saying that, I've just put together a new desktop onboard from ebay bits with a SSD hard drive, V nice, very quick to boot. So it might be worth thinking about.
One benefit of a desktop over a laptop is the possibility of com ports instead of those pesky prolific usb/com adaptors. The board I used has 2 so ais & gps now hard wired into opencpn and very stable.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13   #12

Thanks, You folks are great! I appreciate your input. I’m not a very sophisticated user. Ignorance is my strong point and good friends, my salvation.
For backup, I normally just put anything that I don’t want to lose on an external hard drive, unplug it, and put it aside, adding to it from time to time.
When I really screw things up, I just reset it back to the way I bought it, reload a little software, plug in the external hard drive and copy files back to the computer.
If my computer crashes, I don’t lose anything important. I just get a new one, plug in the external and reload files. Like I said, I’m not a very sophisticated user. I’m a simple man. It works for me.
My main concern was about how or if pitching and yawing, significantly shortened the life of a spinning hard drive. I have read threads posted by those with motor fishing boats who complained that the vibration of a rough ride continually parked their computers.
I’m in the process of buying a new computer. Hard drives that don’t spin cost a lot more. I’m as cheap as I am simple. Evidently, there are a lot of computers on a lot of sailboats out there and it’s not something that others are really that concerned about. So, I’m not going to worry about it either.
I really appreciate you guys taking time to respond. Being the New Kid on the Dock, I will probably have a lot of dumb questions. Please bear with me. Then again, my ignorance may amuse you…
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39   #13

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

A USB external harddrive is a must have. I have 2 that I keep important stuff on, like MOVIES and MUSIC! Buy what you can afford, and the stuff about Seagate and Western Digital, Toshiba....well they are ALL made by the same company in China, they are just branded differently....I know this from 15 years of repairing them for IBM
Old 06-03-2013, 12:40   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

IMO - although its a more expensive option - you would be better off going with an external solid state drive. No moving parts; no fans; no heat problems. All that and you get great warranties (5 years for OCZ brand). Get a 256 GB and you can backup a ton of stuff.

When you get to a place with a good internet connection upload all your space hogs like photos to an online pic site.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
When you get to a place with a good internet connection upload all your space hogs like photos to an online pic site.
Also keep a backup though. There is no guarantee they won't lose them. Multiple copies of everything is the way to go.

Tags
price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: