Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 09:50   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Good (braided/tinned) Ethernet cable?

Hello everyone

The time has come to install a proper WiFI setup in my little boat, like a Rogue Wave but made from individual components to save money . Part of the project is the Ethernet run from the HP bullet that will be installed in the backstay to the router behind the nav station.

I hate to run wire twice because some idiot chose to save 20 bucks on wire and the wire got corroded, nore so when I am the idiot.

I am looking for Ethernet cable with UV-resistant (polyethylene not PVC?) sheath which is braided and tinned.

Can the experts help me find that Ethernet cable? While we are at that, I would also appreciate info as to where to get connectors for that cable, because the RJs I have are said to not to be good for braided wire.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

I have learned to do things right and only once, hw
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Good (braided/tinned) Ethernet cable?

You want ubiquitous tough cable

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Stupid auto correct that should read ubiquiti

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:20   #4

Why braided?...It will add strength but could hurt transmission properties of the cable. I spent 15 years making the stuff. Get a good quality cable and don't bend it much or let anything crush it. Keep it shielded from the sun and it will last years.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:10   #5

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The problem with untinned wire is at the ends where the connectors go, not in the middle of the cable. I have been thinking about running an Ethernet network but have been put off by my thoughts of corrosion at each end in marine air. I have replaced far too many electrical and electronic cables just because the wire corroded at the ends (or the terminals and the wire corroded). There are tons of outdoor cables available that will last a long time in UV and splashes outside. I have yet to see anything that specifically addresses this.

RJ45 connectors can be had that are gold-plated so they would hold up well (or should).

The ubiquiti tough cable mentioned above is just plain copper wire that is well insulated and shielded. It looks like great cable but the vulnerability is the same as for other cables.

Has anyone seen a "system" that "prevents" or slows down wire corrosion at the RJ45 plugs? May be it isn't a problem but I am a skeptic on that at the moment.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 12:23   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Industrial Cat 5 Cables | Heat & Corrosion Resistant | TPC Wire
Folks who claim to make better cables.
Sometimes Google can be SO funny...Staples, BrandsMart, Target...all put up top search results claiming they have corrosion resistant network cables. ROFLMAO!

There are standards for some of this stuff. As with any other connection "out in the weather" it helps if you buy a tube of good silicone grease, and pack the connections as you make them. Then overseal the connection with coaxshield, or silicone tape, so the grease doesn't have to keep any water out.

If you really want to go whole hog, it might pay to actually run two cables--the second as a spare, in place. Both in a conduit or other loom/tubing, to prevent UV and chafe.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 12:34   #7

Call Belden see the link below. You will pay but they can tell you what you need there is a difference in cable.

http://www.belden.com/resourcecenter...ort/index2.cfm

http://www.belden.com/resourcecenter...s_Brochure.pdf

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 14:46   #8

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The point I was making is that the cable in the middle is not the part that goes bad, it is where it is cut and the terminals added on. Having said that, there is a big difference in quality of the cables themselves and the ubiquiti tough cable appears to be a very high quality one (based on their description). I do know you can get very low quality cable so it does pay to pay attention. But rather than run two cables, I would suggest leaving extra cable at each end so you can cut off any that gets corroded and reterminate.

That is good wiring practice on boats for even tinned circuit wire. Never cut it to exact length - leave some extra for at least a drip loop - which you can lop off and put a new terminal on.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 14:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
The point I was making is that the cable in the middle is not the part that goes bad, it is where it is cut and the terminals added on. Having said that, there is a big difference in quality of the cables themselves and the ubiquiti tough cable appears to be a very high quality one (based on their description). I do know you can get very low quality cable so it does pay to pay attention. But rather than run two cables, I would suggest leaving extra cable at each end so you can cut off any that gets corroded and reterminate.

That is good wiring practice on boats for even tinned circuit wire. Never cut it to exact length - leave some extra for at least a drip loop - which you can lop off and put a new terminal on.
I hear you loud and clear, but my boat has been 8 years in the the Caribbean and I have seen the "blackening" advance many feet already in the VHF coax, windlass fat DC cables, Yanmar harness, etc. That is more than what the method you propose can handle.
Old 26-04-2015, 16:14   #10

Search for m8 or m12 Ethernet field connectors and bulkhead fittings. Commonly used for industrial networking, can be had to at least ip66 standard. Oring screw terminal comnections. Pot the field connectors with silicone during install, use dielectric grease at the screw connection, and you'll have a long term solution for not a lot of money. Turck is a high quality brand that isn't crazy expensive. Their TPE jacket is rated for excellent UV resistance. Cables super common up to 30 meters, somewhat less common but still available in longer lengths.
Old 27-04-2015, 04:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Why braided?...It will add strength but could hurt transmission properties of the cable. I spent 15 years making the stuff. Get a good quality cable and don't bend it much or let anything crush it. Keep it shielded from the sun and it will last years.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Thanks. There is no way to keep the cable out of the sun because the Caribbean is sunny and the Bullet needs to go a few feet above deck, hanging from a backstay mount. I can handle the terminationa, I need a cable with good PE (not PVC) jacket

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-04-2015, 14:48   #12

Also, if you start a search based on my post above, you'll likely see a lot of 4 pin cables listed. That's because 4 of the 8 pins on a standard RJ45 connection are unused.

See link for more info:
Ethernet Cable – Color Coding Diagram | The Internet Centre
Old 27-04-2015, 15:34   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"There is no way to keep the cable out of the sun"
Sure there is, and that's one reason why real electricins run cable in conduit, and not out in the elements. Conduit, flexible jacket, harness loom, hell, use some 1/2" irrigation hose if you'd like.
Easily done, making the choice of insulation a non-issue. Although on a boat I'd prefer to use "plenum rated" cable, which doesn't generate toxic fumes an smoke if there's a fire. A good thing if you have a fire while under way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote