Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2015, 19:26   #16
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: GME EPIRB battery replacement.

I may yet not have a choice, having trouble finding what I need.

BUT, and it is a big but, a voltage test on its own is probably not all that reliable as a guide to battery life. You might get full voltage but if the capacity is degraded, then the EPIRB might run for only a few minutes. Sure, voltage drop will show there is a problem, but a lack of voltage drop might not mean anything at all.

Matt

Old 13-10-2015, 19:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
. I will repair or rebuild anything if I can get parts.
Essential boat owner personality trait I reckon.

But finding these batteries is proving painful. I am now thinking of trying to source a larger 6V lithium cell instead.

Old 13-10-2015, 19:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Likely not a big deal either way on Lake Michigan. Just hop in the dink and head for shore. File an insurance claim when you get home.
Old 13-10-2015, 19:51   #19
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
……..

FYI, my units former owner told me she "tested it extra" when it was close to expiring. I'm not sure how much juice a test takes, but I assume extra tests are not really very helpful.
Correct, actually unhelpful

FWIW, some beacons internally record each test and allocated one minute of use per test. After a one hour (total) of battery use (real or testing), it will fail the unit at the next test due to battery depletion.

The KTI SA1G described above does such battery use monitoring and IMO, this is a good feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Essential boat owner personality trait I reckon.

But finding these batteries is proving painful. I am now thinking of trying to source a larger 6V lithium cell instead.
Put the old ones back in and trust they still have plenty of shelf life. Even if it only transmits for say 12 or 24 hours instead of the required 48 hours, you will still be good. After all, it isn't your primary EPIRB. Making do is another essential boat owner trait
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 19:55   #20

Good point.

Hey, a bit of thread drift here, but I read " the Martian" last week.

Is it just me or was his series of near disasters on Mars just a normal day on a boat?

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 14-10-2015, 16:39   #21

Eureka! Just found the batteries from a supplier here in Oz at $AU7.20 each (Panasonic brand) with tags. So for less than AU$60 I can replace the batteries on the old GME. At that price I will do it. Photos to follow when the batteries arrive.

Went ahead and ordered the KTI SA1G yesterday as my main GPS, should arrive next week. Wotname, you are right, it is a better looking unit, at least on paper. A bit of an ugly thing in appearance though. :^)

Matt
Old 14-10-2015, 18:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Eureka! Just found the batteries from a supplier here in Oz at $AU7.20 each (Panasonic brand) with tags. So for less than AU$60 I can replace the batteries on the old GME. At that price I will do it. Photos to follow when the batteries arrive.

That's good news!

Went ahead and ordered the KTI SA1G yesterday as my main GPS, should arrive next week. Wotname, you are right, it is a better looking unit, at least on paper. A bit of an ugly thing in appearance though. :^)

Matt
Yeah, does look a bit last century

Reminds me of a yarn getting around after the 1998 Sydney Hobart storm. Apparently one of the heli rescue winchman(?) in Victoria an attractive slim female and someone was saying how good she looked coming down the wire to pluck him out of the briny. Another guy piped up saying the big burly male copper that rescued him also looked pretty darn attractive coming down the wire...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-10-2015, 20:45   #23

If I ever have to push the big red button I want the biggest hairiest STRONGEST bastard they can drop on me on that wire. Nothing against attractive young things on a wire but not many of them are going to be able to easily haul my weight out of the big blue.

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 14-10-2015, 23:21   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

Eureka! Just found the batteries from a supplier here in Oz at $AU7.20 each (Panasonic brand) with tags. So for less than AU$60 I can replace the batteries on the old GME.

Are these lithium D cells and if so can you direct to the site, I just went through the purchase of a new EPIRB and would like to salvage the old as a dingy unit or backup.

A word of advice, never admit to having an expired EPIRB aboard even if you have a main, unexpired unit. People have been issued infringement notices in Queensland for having an expired EPIRB in this circumstance.
Old 14-10-2015, 23:46   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Eureka! Just found the batteries from a supplier here in Oz at $AU7.20 each (Panasonic brand) with tags. So for less than AU$60 I can replace the batteries on the old GME.

Are these lithium D cells and if so can you direct to the site, I just went through the purchase of a new EPIRB and would like to salvage the old as a dingy unit or backup.

A word of advice, never admit to having an expired EPIRB aboard even if you have a main, unexpired unit. People have been issued infringement notices in Queensland for having an expired EPIRB in this circumstance.
No, not D cells, smaller Lithium CR123A cells.

Interesting about Qld, I have heard about infringements for having expired flares and while I SORT OF get that - technically unstable pyrotechnics very slight fire hazard and such, I wonder what the offence could be with time expired EPIRB. Surely none but you would need deep pockets to challenge it in court I guess.

Perhaps one of the many reasons I left my birth state
Old 15-10-2015, 00:03   #26

Quote:
What expired EPIRB? I see no expired EPIRB.

Actually, it is a good point you make. Got to love the bureaucracy.
Old 15-10-2015, 00:08   #27

Quote:
As Wotname said, these are very different, tiny little buggers actually. Anyway, the site I went to may be able to help.

www.master-instruments.com.au

They did not list the CR123A with a solder tab, but they responded promptly to my email query with an option to provide them, so they may be able to help with what you need if they don't have it listed.

Matt
Old 15-10-2015, 01:11   #28

Boat: sold

GILow, Thks keep up the report on replacing the batts as I noted the exp date on mine!!

Regards Bill
Old 15-10-2015, 11:44   #29

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
but you would need deep pockets to challenge it in court I guess.
A friend of mine in Cairns was given an infringement notice for not having life jackets in her tender even though the regulations do not require them. When I asked her why she did not challenge it in court. Her reply was that she would probably have to take a couple of days off work for the court appearances and this would cost her a lot more than paying the $120 fine.

The batteries in my expired MT400 are 2 ea 3V D cell size?
Old 15-10-2015, 12:28   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm kind of amazed. The EPIRBs that I've been inside only use lithium primary batteries, mainly because those almost never leak and have an exceptional shelf life. In fact, they normally are on a 5-year replacement cycle based on the fact that they still have 50% of their original life after 5 years.

Non-rechargeable NiMh is something I've never heard existed. And I've seen a lot of odd battery types listed. NiMh batteries, at best, typically lose 25% capacity in one year, and more commonly, 75% capacity within 90 days.

If I needed a pack of CR123A batteries, eight or twelve or whatever, here in the US I'd call someone like The NiCad Lady, or one of the radio control hobby shops, where the entire business is based on building custom battery packs and let THEM do the explosive welding that puts tabs on (if needed) or welds tabs together. Soldering directly onto small batteries, even with tabs on them, can very easily damage them internally. It is not something to be done lightly on life-saving equipment.

With a conventional big EPRIB, there are three "D" cell sized lithium primary cells, with tabs, and the only soldering you need to do if you order a set that way, is to the two final output wires that plug into the EPIRB.

SOMEONE makes up packs for those other units. I'd make Real Damn Sure of what the batteries really were or weren't (alkalines like the CR123 keep making longer life claims, but I keep seeing them leak way before their expiration dates) and have the pack made up by someone who does that as everyday business.

Tags
battery, epirb, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: