Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 03:06   #1
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
GLOMEX WEBBOAT 4G

We have been using a combination of an Ubiquity Bullet and a 4G switch as backup but during this summer sailing in the Med, we realized that we actually only use the 4G connection.
Unfortunately range is not optimal hence considering different options.

It seems GLOMEX has the Webboat 4G dome which would fit our needs but would like to hear if any of you have experiences with it before we buy.

Thanks
Steen
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 03:29   #2

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Re: GLOMEX WEBBOAT 4G

So for the Glomex do you have to go to someplace like Verizon or AT&T and as k to buy one of their sim cards? Never used this type of system so I am asking.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 03:57   #3
SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
So for the Glomex do you have to go to someplace like Verizon or AT&T and as k to buy one of their sim cards? Never used this type of system so I am asking.
No. For the GLOMEX you will buy 2 x SIM cards in the market and it will pick the best 4G connection available and switch between them. You still have the Bullet WIFI option as well, but the combined package comes at a higher price - roughly 1,000 EUR compared to the total cost of the Bullet + 4G router setup
Old 14-08-2018, 19:47   #4

what are you currently using as an antena for the 4g router? just it's own little box? or an external antenna and amp like a Wilson amp?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 00:02   #5
SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
what are you currently using as an antena for the 4g router? just it's own little box? or an external antenna and amp like a Wilson amp?
I am using a DLINK DWR921. Only with its own two antennas. I bought an external antenna but it doesnt work well, hence the desire to "upgrade"
Old 28-05-2019, 12:09   #6

I was quite anxious to get my Glomex WeBBoat up on my mast spreaders when I received it last fall. . However it was the end of the sailing season and decided to wait and I’m glad I waited. Over the winter I was able to become very familiar with the device. The basic hardware works reasonably well. However having the device mounted 30’ up presents challenges if you need to reset the device via reset button. Also the actual router hardware, a Teltonika RUT 950, though feature rich, is crippled with the Glomex web app that is pretty much a joke. As Glomex firmware updates are generations behind, I blew away the glomex branded firmware and replaced it with OEM firmware and was much happier with it configured that way. I was super happy just to get it working right but soon that emotion faded as I actually started to put it to work. A big negative for me is the inability to see 4g LTE speeds higher than a few MB/s and the lack of 5Ghz WiFi making this router quite sluggish compared to routers with carrier aggregation (20 GB/s and up 4g lte) and 5 GHz WiFi. So for now I have installed it on my RV where it isn’t such a big deal to install and get to when needed. It is fast enough to stream Netflix, YouTube tv, etc in 1080p when the carrier has the bandwidth to give. There are not a lot of low cost really fast 4g lte routers available, but will continue to try them as I find them. Fired up an unlocked branded Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 last night and was instantly rewarded with 30gbs 4g lte downloads using same sim I use in the Glomex. Definitely consumer grade hardware but it is inexpensive, and has connectors for dual Mimo antennas. Although I can’t glom onto someone else’s WiFi with it, I’ve found that to be a rather useless feature on the Glomex. Marina WiFi I’ve seen is useless for my needs.

—JB
Gramercyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 12:54   #7
SFH

JB

I was not aware that the GLOMEX is based on Teltonika RUT 950. What was you rationale for upgrading the hardware with OEM firmware if you were happy with the basic performance?

Did you see performance improvement?

//Steen
Old 28-05-2019, 14:10   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I just checked my mobile phone connection with Speedtest, and I get 58.12mbs download and 20-odd up. I'm presently roaming in a somewhat gritty post-Soviet republic. Even out in the islands I rarely see less than 50. That's with my everday phone; no router.

I have a Huawei LTE router (B593) with external antennae that I use when I need to pull in some kind of signal from far offshore, or if I need to share the connection around multiple devices or use ChromeCast, or something, but 90% of the time these days I just use the phone.

If I had acquired an expensive fixed-install device like this and were getting only a few mbs, I would be disappointed. The world has moved on since such bandwidth could be considered normal, at least in Europe.

Of course it's funny to remember that not all that long ago we would run a whole company on an E1 line (2mbs), and thought that was luxurious (or a T1 in the U.S. -- 1.5mbs). But we weren't streaming HD video (much less 4k) or doing lots of stuff we now do online.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 17:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
JB

I was not aware that the GLOMEX is based on Teltonika RUT 950. What was you rationale for upgrading the hardware with OEM firmware if you were happy with the basic performance?

Did you see performance improvement?

//Steen
The main reason was to get later/more stable version of the firmware. Glomex releases are way behind and the version that was available from them was dismally unstable and outdated. Added benefit was additional features provided by the oem version of web interface. I just don’t need the poorly written Glomex phone app to manage it.

—JB
Old 05-10-2019, 07:57   #10

Gramercyjam:

Could you describe the process for changing the Glomex WebBoat firmware to the RUT version? I also dislike the Glomex app and would like to have the factory firmware. I can access the Glomex interface using 192.168.80.1 which gives for more control and may be similar to the RUT version but don't know. Many thanks.
Dunigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 13:43   #11

You will need to update the boot loader first before updating the firmware. You will need a hardwire connection to the WeBBoat to do this. Detailed instructions are available on teltonika website. https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/RUT9xx_Firmware
Old 06-10-2019, 00:47   #12
SFH

As Gramercyjam wrote:

First upgrade the bootloader as described here:
https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/RUT9x...loader_Upgrade

then download the latest image file which is currently 06.04.5 from 26th august 2019 and upload it to the router
https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/RUT9xx_Firmware

Remember: You will not be able to use the GLOMEX App after you have done this. Instead you will have to work directly via the web interface to the router.

//Steen
Old 01-04-2020, 10:09   #13

I wonder if you can improve the system by simply replacing the Teltonika 950 with one of their better routers like the RUTX11 which runs LTE Cat 6 and 802.11 AC wifi. Would the existing Glomex antennas suffice or would they need replacing as well. Just a thought for future upgrades.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:42   #14

As a follow up, I removed the Glomex Webboat and installed a Teltonika Rutx11 which has 5g wireless and Cat 6 cellular. Works great once you figure out the interface. I see 70+ mbps on the cellular side. Sold in the US by Steakwave in Santa Clara, CA. $311. I already had a KVH dome so the router went inside of it.

Tags
boat