Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 21:24   #16

Re: Globalstar - Is It Getting Better ?

While I agree there are some people who need more than an Inreach offshore, I'm not one of them.

The Inreach sends and receives emails when out of GSM range more reliably (and less expensively) than any other system I've ever used (and I've used many). Sure, each message can only be 160 characters but how much is there to say? What I had for dinner? That I caught a fish? Frankly, I don't need or want to read a lot of emails offshore. I let only a few people know how to reach me on the InReach. I like it that way.

The one thing thing I miss a little are GRIB files, but I have a friend ashore who sends me weather forecast when I'm offshore. He also sends the text weather analysis that you don't get with GRIBS. I expect we'll see InReach specific weather forecasts pop up as more people switch.

And the cost is far cheaper than $150 a year for me as I only do long offshore trips a few months a year. The new InReach plan can be turned on for the months I need it. No sim cards. No expiring minutes. No Winlink cost. No dropped connections.

It's never occurred to me to order a pizza using a satphone from offshore, Doesn't it get cold?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 21:30   #17

Re: Globalstar - Is It Getting Better ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It's never occurred to me to order a pizza using a satphone from offshore, Doesn't it get cold?
Well not as long as the captain delivering it to you leaves it on the engine block! There's always a solution...it's just a matter of cost.
b.forbort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Globalstar, globalstar