Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2008, 06:05   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
All other things aside, UNLIMITED doesn't actually mean unlimited.

"The plan is not designed for always-on data communications. Globalstar reserves the right to terminate service of a customer, or amend the plan to prevent abuse of data connectivity."

Most cell "unlimited" plans include this verbiage, as well. If your usage is too high, they cancel you. So, what this means to me is I can't use an "unlimited" cell to VPN into the office 40 hours a week. This probably applies to Globalstar as well. Just keep this in mind if you are looking for remote connectivity.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 13:40   #17

And how does Globastar compare to Iridium and what other options are currently available? Is it also true that you can connect a regular wired or portable telephone unit to Globalstar on the boat?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 09:08   #18

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
In July 09 Globalstar finalized financing of $738 million and their intent to launch gen 2 satellites in 2010. I am told by Globalstar that the launch schedule has not yet been determined due to international launch scheduling issues but that all is moving ahead.

I am also of the understanding that the older phones will be compatible with the new 2nd gen systems. The older 1600 handset is a bit of a brick compared with modern units, but they are currently selling for cheap on places like e-bay.

Depending on your love/hate relationship with Globalstar, it might be a good time to pick up a cheap satphone in anticipation of better days ahead.

Just a thought...

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 10:12   #19
Eternal Member

Good info, Dave. Thanks.

I'm a loyal (and very patient) Globalstar customer; can't wait for the Gen2 birds to launch.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 19:33   #20

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Anything further develop with Globalstar?

Am currently looking for Sat phone in Canada primarily for great lakes and east coast cruising to the caribean.

Any idea what are the best options?
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I've used GlobalStar for my trip south last year from Toronto to Guatemala with stops in Cuba and Mexico and found it not too bad as long as you have their OSAT reports for your location to tell when the satellites go over. Which is kind of a Catch22. I had my wife email me the OSAT reports for where I was going to be in the next few days.

I talked to their support desk and they said the new satellites are suppose to be up this fall. Last year they said it would be in the spring. Believe it when it happens. At least the price is right, $39/month. For that price I could get calls and email without paying extra all the way to Cuba. After Cuba in Mexico and south you will pay roaming charges which are very expensive (thinks it $2 / minute).

BTW about Cuba: Depending on the customs person you get, they may try to seal your satellite phone. I begged him not to and he decided to let me keep it unsealed. The other thing about Cuba is GlobalStar prevents calls from there. Something about the embargo. I found a way around that: if you phone within the first few seconds of when a satellite becomes available, it will go through. I ended up writing my own phone monitor that alerts me when the satellite becomes availalble and automaticallty launches my email program (XGATE) to send/receive my email. It also reads the OSAT data to tell me how long the satellite would be available so I knew if it was worth while calling home.

Most people say Irdium is better. I don't know haven't tried it.

I hear the the new Inmarsat phones are coming available soon which are suppose to have coverage all over the world except the poles.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:49   #22

We have used the globalstar system for 4 yrs. Primarly for e-mail (fast fast, lightening fast). It has a text messaging feature that allows our land based friends to contact us (comes through with the next sat pass) not instant but close enough and better than voice mail as you do not have to wait for a "signal to retrieve. Outgoing calls are scheduled with the "windows" provided by their availabilty chart. Not a phone to count on in any type of emergency as it is not that dependable. But offers a reasonable solution when trying to keep in touch in remote areas.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11   #23

Globalstar launch scheduled for Oct 19th. T minus 8 days and counting....

Dave
Old 25-10-2010, 16:53   #24

Covington, LA. , 20 October 2010 - Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ:GSAT), <snip> announced that six new second-generation Globalstar satellites were successfully launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, on Tuesday, October 19th at 11:11 p.m. local time (5:11 p.m. UTC and 1:11 p.m. EDT)

Yes !
Old 25-10-2010, 18:31   #25
Eternal Member

Terrific, Dave!

Any word on when these six new ones will be operational?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13   #26

Boat: Privilege 37
Globalstar Sat Phone Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Covington, LA. , 20 October 2010 - Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ:GSAT), <snip> announced that six new second-generation Globalstar satellites were successfully launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, on Tuesday, October 19th at 11:11 p.m. local time (5:11 p.m. UTC and 1:11 p.m. EDT)

Yes !
Anyone with current Globalstar experience? Any improvement in coverage and number of call time windows? We are hoping to start service next month for our cruise if the system is working OK.
Old 22-12-2010, 16:30   #27

Boat: Privilege 37
I signed up for Globalstar service today. I looked at their call times listings for Florida and Georgetown, Bahamas and there were numerous call times of 15 min or more. I hope I'm not disappointed.

I asked about the new satellites and it sounds like they are starting to integrate them into the system. The unlimited calls rate of $34.95/mo is only available until 12/31/2010, so they may be revising their rates next year based on updgraded capability from the new "birds" in orbit.
Old 22-12-2010, 17:24   #28

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Spoke with Globalstar last week - the 6 new sattelites go active by the end of January. Two more launches are scheduled shortly. They expect to have 18 active by May. More launches to follow later in the year.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 06:56   #29

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
All right, so the newly launched satellites should be operational by now?? Does anybody out there have an update on Globalstar service?
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:14   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
... Does anybody out there have an update on Globalstar service?
I suppose you could check out the Globalstar website(s)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION Concerning the Globalstar Satellite Constellation

Globalstar, Inc. :: Worldwide Satellite Voice and Data Products and Services for Customers Around the Globe

Or you could Just ****ing Google It

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Globalstar