Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 11:50   #1
gzs

Geofencing on sea, remote power management?

Dear all,

I'm trying to find if there is a solution for the following:

Let's say there is a small powerboat, with a 70HP Yamaha outboard.

I want to limit the boat's operations to a certain area on sea.

I want the driver of the boat to see his current position and his distance from the "fences" on a navigation screen.

The moment the boat crosses the perimeter, I want an automatic system to limit the outboard's power output (max speed) to let's say 50%.

Is there a system or combination of systems that would make this possible?

Also, I would want to have a 5 mile range radio operated "kill switch", so the outboard could be powered off from a distance. I guess this is easier, with a radio controlled switch/interrupter installed to the electric wiring... is there any product on the market for this?

Every idea and suggestion is very much appreciated!

Thank, Zsolt
gzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 18:39   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Geofencing on sea, remote power management?

Old 18-05-2018, 05:03   #3

What you propose is certainly possible, given today's technology. There is not, however, any system -- nor any simple combination of systems -- available today that would do anything like this. It would require development of a whole new combination of hardware and software.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 06:08   #4

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

KeelMe:

That made my day!!!!!! So funny!!
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 06:09   #5

Or, you could just have a good, long conversation with your son/daughter about responsible seamanship.
p.hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:24   #6

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

So someone would need a torpedo or a drone full of C-4 to turn it off. Or even a all black sailing dinghy on a moonless night maybe. Nature finds a way.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:31   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Yes. Garmin chart plotters (and I am sure others as well) allow you to set boundaries (circles, polygons, and lines) that can have alarms attached. You can set the alarm to go off when you cross over the boundary, either in or out or over. The chart plotter also has a alarm wire which is strong enough to drive a relay. The relay could signal something on the engine to limit revs, constrict fuel, or maybe send a signal on a cell phone device. Whatever you can think up.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzs View Post
Dear all,

I'm trying to find if there is a solution for the following:

Let's say there is a small powerboat, with a 70HP Yamaha outboard.

I want to limit the boat's operations to a certain area on sea.

I want the driver of the boat to see his current position and his distance from the "fences" on a navigation screen.

The moment the boat crosses the perimeter, I want an automatic system to limit the outboard's power output (max speed) to let's say 50%.

Is there a system or combination of systems that would make this possible?

Also, I would want to have a 5 mile range radio operated "kill switch", so the outboard could be powered off from a distance. I guess this is easier, with a radio controlled switch/interrupter installed to the electric wiring... is there any product on the market for this?

Every idea and suggestion is very much appreciated!

Thank, Zsolt
I would consult with competent counsel on the ramifications or potentially creating an accident with the remote control of a vessel at sea. We have enough issues with safe boating without another layer of potential problems.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 09:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.hammar View Post
Or, you could just have a good, long conversation with your son/daughter about responsible seamanship.
I agree with Hammer- discuss responsibility and penalty for not- and any controlling form elsewhere could have all kinds of liabilities-real and legal (clearly interferes with role of Captain)

Now , if consideration to something like rental boats- then most of the modern systems have a sort of geofence ability that may be titled "no go areas" on plotters. securing them from alteration via password is another issue.
Another approach if your desire is to monitor the vessel(s). consider AIS transponder and then track it on your phone. works for location, tracking, and if an issue can call others with name/mmsi number and they can locate.

What is end use/goal
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 10:22   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sounds like a parenting problem?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 10:27   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Legal issues aside..

Yes this could be done, but would be a %100 custom solution. It may be possible to "cobble" something together using an off the shelf plotter and alarms, but I doubt it.

IF I was serious about it. I would start with OpenCPN and do some custom coding. If you have some programming and basic electronic knowledge it wouldn't be that hard to do.

HOWEVER, IMHO, what you are trying to do is a terrible idea.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:46   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rather than hiring an electronics engineer to build your custom system (which I'd estimate at $60-100,000 US possibly twice that) you might simply have a GPS with track logging installed on the boat. Then visit the boat from time to time and inspect the log. If the boat has gone outside of the sanctioned area, withdraw a substantial amount from the assets of the operator. That way you'd only need a large deposit, or some other simple conventional financial guarantee, and an occasional visit.

There are geofencing solutions that include remote notification and remote access for car and truck fleets, but those invariably depend on cell phone reception, which is not at all assured on the water. You can look for "fleet asset" (that's trucks, not boat fleets) and vehicle tracking solutions online. If you find one that works, perhaps they can offer you satellite communications instead of cellular. But the monthly bills won't be cheap.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 13:41   #13
gzs

Thank you guys for all the comments and ideas!

KeelMe: I would certainly prefer a more peaceful solution, but had a good laugh

p.hammar: it's not a parenting issue

zboss: thanks a lot, as a matter of fact I've already asked Garmin about this, and they forwarded me to a marine electrical engineer... I will certainly ask them again because if it can be done with the alarm wire & relay, it's a solved problem

oleman, boat driver, travellerw: the remote kill switch would only be a "last line of defense"... The whole idea is to operate a small powerboat commercially, on a sea area with no marine traffic (other than a safety boat), supervised from the safety boat. In case a suicidal maniac would want to crash recklessly into the safety boat... the chance is 1:1000000 but why not prepare for the worst case scenario. At same point I'm sure that I'll be entertaining the idea of creating an electric version of the boat, and I would certainly want to protect all those expensive torqeedo or kokam batteries.

hellosailor: very true, if there is no GSM coverage, satellite vehicle tracking (via the Iridium or other satellites) is just too expensive. For the hardware they have monthly rental options starting at 30 USD but the data bills would be substantial.

Thanks for the comments guys, please don't worry, it's not a parenting problem, I'm just entertaining the idea of establishing a rental operation based on some interesting new boats. One option is letting the customer drive alone, but before even getting a quote from the insurance brokers or discussing the feasibility with the coast guard, I want to explore all the safety measures.
Old 18-05-2018, 13:57   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rather than hiring an electronics engineer to build your custom system (which I'd estimate at $60-100,000 US possibly twice that) you might simply have a GPS with track logging installed on the boat. Then visit the boat from time to time and inspect the log. If the boat has gone outside of the sanctioned area, withdraw a substantial amount from the assets of the operator. That way you'd only need a large deposit, or some other simple conventional financial guarantee, and an occasional visit.

There are geofencing solutions that include remote notification and remote access for car and truck fleets, but those invariably depend on cell phone reception, which is not at all assured on the water. You can look for "fleet asset" (that's trucks, not boat fleets) and vehicle tracking solutions online. If you find one that works, perhaps they can offer you satellite communications instead of cellular. But the monthly bills won't be cheap.
Wow.. Please let me quote on your next electonics engineering job. I also own some property in Detroit you might be interested in.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 14:03   #15
gzs

Problem solved, Garmin has indeed that alarm wire, easy to connect to a horn, a lamp, or anything else via relay...

Tags
enc, men, remote