Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2017, 11:47   #31

Re: Garmin inReach Huge price-hike in UK

Thanks to Garmin Brit's can now cancel their subscriptions to Brexit? Yay Garmin :-D !!!

Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 06:23   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Nowadays? Unrestricted capitalism has always screwed their employees and customers. Charles Dicken's London is solid evidence of that.
I'm not so sure about that. My own Mega-Corp started as a local utility serving local customers. They talked about three groups of "stakeholders." Customers, employees and stockholders. They tried to do right by all three. They saw their mission as producing a product, NOT just making their stockholders rich.

Think of the word "company." We all want/need to contribute to society. There are things one person can't create alone. You need a "company" or group, working together toward the same goal. In other words, the whole reason the company exists is to provide a product or service, as well as employment for those involved, so they, in turn, can buy products or services to survive. This specialization by, and trade between, individuals is what makes a human civilization.

Sometimes it takes a LOT of people to make something most efficiently, or make enough to meet the demand. Sometimes there's a large capital investment required. Sometimes the best way to raise that investment is to open the company up to many investors, or stockholders.

Of course, those stockholders expect a return on that investment. Fair enough. The terms should be understood by both sides.

But when the greed of the stockholders comes before the good of the customers or employees, things are upside down.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 13:31   #33

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm not so sure about that. My own Mega-Corp started as a local utility serving local customers. They talked about three groups of "stakeholders." Customers, employees and stockholders. They tried to do right by all three. They saw their mission as producing a product, NOT just making their stockholders rich.

Think of the word "company." We all want/need to contribute to society. There are things one person can't create alone. You need a "company" or group, working together toward the same goal. In other words, the whole reason the company exists is to provide a product or service, as well as employment for those involved, so they, in turn, can buy products or services to survive. This specialization by, and trade between, individuals is what makes a human civilization.

Sometimes it takes a LOT of people to make something most efficiently, or make enough to meet the demand. Sometimes there's a large capital investment required. Sometimes the best way to raise that investment is to open the company up to many investors, or stockholders.

Of course, those stockholders expect a return on that investment. Fair enough. The terms should be understood by both sides.

But when the greed of the stockholders comes before the good of the customers or employees, things are upside down.
Good points. Let's keep this post focused on bad behaviour by particular companies, not the pros and cons of different economic systems which can be discussed elsewhere.
That said, I vote with my limited dollars by not buying Garmin products, but can't do much about products I have like my pre-Garmin Inreach Explorer; we'll have to wait and see how much they screw with Active Captain.

Tags
garmin, price