Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 14:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Garmin Inreach as a Tracking Device

Our tracker is a good option if you want to "set and forget" with the two year battery life there is no need to hardwire it. It also can be positioned basically anywhere in or on your boat.

You can see our thread in the commercial section for further information and pricing.

As always happy to answer any questions or address any comments.

If you are doing any ocean adventures a tracker is a necessity whether it be ours or another brand.
Old 13-03-2017, 14:56   #17

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Poor coverage
So, I guess they use different satellites? In checking the coverage map, it does appear that Spot does not have 100% coverage as the Inreach claims. But, coverage looks to be most of the globe except the extreme Northern and Southern latitudes and a swath in the Pacific.

Network / Satellite

This will be fine for my cruising, but perhaps not for you folks down under
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 15:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
So, I guess they use different satellites? In checking the coverage map, it does appear that Spot does not have 100% coverage as the Inreach claims. But, coverage looks to be most of the globe except the extreme Northern and Southern latitudes and a swath in the Pacific.

Network / Satellite

This will be fine for my cruising, but perhaps not for you folks down under
YB & Garmin/Delorme use Iridium whilst I think Spot uses Globalstar (ironic name as they are not global and their coverage is worse for their phones)
Old 13-03-2017, 18:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I hadn't though of it as a ditch bag item, I guess so.
I think the thing has a very long internal battery life, and for use in a ditch bag, likely you would only turn it on for a few minutes a day anyway, and or could recharge it from one of many devices meant to recharge cell phones, it's micro USB.
Garmin is going to jack up the price, they are Garmin, which also means that in five years they won't support it any longer, because they are Garmin, you will have to buy the new one.

At work, we are Garmin dealers, which means though the employee discount program I can get anything Garmin for 35% off, limit one, and they are very careful to make sure it's not re-sold anytime soon too.
When Garmin tosses my InReach Explorer to the curb, I'll just have to see what the competition is selling. Space X last week launched a whole pile of Iridium Satellites for a brand new generation constellation. Once they get the rest of them up there this year or next there will be an explosion of brand new devices that will put the Garmin InReach to shame and will also bring down prices. Sat Phone tech prices are still falling because cell phone coverage is getting better all the time. There's not that many people on the oceans compared to the billions on land so competition will be brutal when every mom & pop sat device business starts getting into the game.I wouldn't be surprised if the big plan is to compete with cell phones,then we'll see the price drop in half. People will remember how Garmin gouged them when it comes time to upgrade. Or, maybe they won't toss mine to the curb and they'll be satisfied with my subscription. Who knows. If you want to play ,You got to pay!
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:22   #20

Everything is Illegal in India except Global star.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:52   #21
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
It looks like the Spot Gen3 will do most of the same things (no option for weather) for a lot less money. Am I missing something?
Nothing except the unit doesn't always work, and is lacking in many other features besides weather forecast receiving.

See this thread:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...highlight=spot

Or this one:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...highlight=spot

Or this one:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-170569.html

The InReach is a vastly superior product (I'm not in the business), and worth every penny more (in the DeLorme pricing structure - I have no idea what Garmin is now charging). The Iridium system is truly global, the coverage map on the SPOT website was created by the marketing folks. Read the fine print on that map.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:52   #22

Does the in reach constantly track? My spot only does 24h then has to be manually set to tracking again. I think I have the g2.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:19   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Ive used a spot for several years, great for letting family no where you are, but its not comparable to the inreach. I've just purchased the inreach, pick it up Saturday. The Iridium network is by far the best option. The plan enables 500texts a month, constant tracking and I can recieve weather.
I plan on doing approx 9500nm this year, big trip therefore it will get a workout, it will be on from this weekend I hope, and be sending out my track until November.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:44   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

InReach vs. Spot different constellations and different performance. Spot is patchy while Iridium is (I believe) the only global toy. I did push some of my clients to go over to the dark side, when their subscriptions expired.

DARK SIDE: YB, IR, now Garmin. ;-)

Some people track via Inmarsat. It works very well but I have not seen a fine interface yet.

Tracking is also possible from French trackers Argos / CLS.

My French friends used this interface over a CLS tracker:

WhatUsea - Satellite & GSM tracking solutions - locate your asset - Alarm systems for yachts

Their tracker is:

Argos - Worldwide tracking and environmental monitoring by satellite

The system is used by Vendee Globe and MiniTransat sailors. It is par with Iridium.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:23   #25

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Good morning,
I just bought one and this morning I'am thinking about why so much people need to be connected all the time. Affraid by nature wildness... to get lost... or give to others a way to dream...
Have a good day.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:02   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Some want to be connected while others want to be disconnected.

We sail without a sat phone, no tracker, no SSB and up till 2006 without an EPIRB.

I think it is cool that people who want to remain online can do so.

To me the ability to easily and readily access wx forecast mid ocean would be a nice thing too. I may buy one of the trackers then.

Not everyone wants to be connected (in the social terms) though. Some prefer the shrine and solitude of the ocean.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Some want to be connected while others want to be disconnected.

We sail without a sat phone, no tracker, no SSB and up till 2006 without an EPIRB.

I think it is cool that people who want to remain online can do so.

To me the ability to easily and readily access wx forecast mid ocean would be a nice thing too. I may buy one of the trackers then.

Not everyone wants to be connected (in the social terms) though. Some prefer the shrine and solitude of the ocean.

b.
I cruise for a number of reasons , one being escape from the day to day over connectedness....but there is a small group of friends I like staying in contact with, the ability to send and receive a simple text is cool to me, these friends and family also enjoy seeing my postions. Dad's nearly 80, gets a real kick out of my tracks and sends them to is friends...lol.

Old 14-03-2017, 14:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Does the in reach constantly track? My spot only does 24h then has to be manually set to tracking again. I think I have the g2.
Yes, The InReach constantly sends out tracking data points
when tracking is turned on.
This feature can be turned on and off via its software.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:17   #29

The earthmate app that enables smartphone tablet hookup is cool, from what I see.

Old 14-03-2017, 14:24   #30

I am hoping someone who is currently using Inreach for email messaging could comment on the functionality. I understand the sms texting, but how does it work if you need to communicate via email? Does it need to be paired with a smartphone? Specifically, I am wondering if this device would meet the email messaging capability required of of boats participating in the Carib 1500. Additionally, I know that Chris Parker prefers email to texting, and wondering if anyone is using the device to communicate with him.
And finally, tell me more about the wx forecasting -can you pair the device with a tablet or phone and get good GRIBS?
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin