Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-03-2016, 09:22   #1
crh

Location: On board most time, now in the Caribbean, ( Grenada) but hauling out till Jan 18.
Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 49'6"
Garmin GPSMAP 7212 unexpected shut downs

I have a 16 month old unit which went fine for the first voyage last year, but this year shuts down for no good reason, when you need it most. The unit seems to be fine if left on when at anchor etc, but once sailing, usually with in an hour or less shuts down. Restarting some times works for a few minutes or less. The only way I can get more time is to leave it for a hour or so and turn back on. Im thinking its a heat issue but its in a sheltered location in the cockpit and maybe its when the processors does some work, over heats. Tried a big fan on it too, but not effective. Anyone had similar issues?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 06-03-2016, 10:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Garmin GPSMAP 7212 unexpected shut downs

With a 740S a few years ago, solution was send it back to Garmin and for a flat fee, they send you another one.
Of if is like mine, it got worse not better, then suddenly was dead, back up your waypoints before you send it in, you will not be getting the same box back, but you will get a replacement fast.
After that I bought a back up plotter, I bought and installed a Raymarine Dragonfly as I wanted the sonar it had to find dive spots.

This based on a different product of course, but call Garmin on Mon. and ask their techs. They may have you reload software etc. and it may work?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 06-03-2016, 11:32   #3

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 7212 unexpected shut downs

Any possibility the supply voltage to it is dropping too low? Many Garmin devices can measure the voltage they are receiving and display it. If so watch for a downward trend prior to it turning off.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-03-2016, 17:42   #4
crh

Location: On board most time, now in the Caribbean, ( Grenada) but hauling out till Jan 18.
Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 49'6"
Re: Garmin GPSMAP 7212 unexpected shut downs

Thanks for the replies.
I will check voltages etc and see what there is but from the looks of it so far, a low voltage does not seem to be the issue as it AP shuts down at the first sign ( Cetrek unit)
And yes if I send off to Garmin will copy all info first.

Tags
garmin, gps

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: