Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14   #16
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I think it only uses G2 chips. Who knows how long Garmin will support those. Don't think you can add radar. Sonar, XM weather, Garmin CANet accessories and NMEA 2000 network devices for DSC enabled VHF radios. The info on the Garmin site is a little sketchy.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=8059
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Questions about this unit...it uses the Garmin G charts. I'm told by 'west marine advisor' that g charts are no longer supported by garmin. Do you just use this unit for 3 years and then throw it away?

Can this unit take a radar feed?
I have not installed mine yet, but my understanding re. the charts is this: the pre-installed charts are the Garmin Blue Charts, which Garmin updates periodically. In three years, I think you can update the unit with an SD card for areas of your choice with SD cards that you can buy direct from Garmin, or retailers like West Marine. When I spoke to Garmin before buying, I was satisfied that this would not be a problem at all, nor would I have a problem if I wanted to buy additional chart coverage now, like the Caribbean.

Garmin offers an option to buy "G2" charts, which have a lot of fancy extras, like 3D imagery of the bottom and land features.

Radar feed? Pretty sure the answer is no (for now, anyway), but it does have an AIS feed and a sonar feed if you buy the fancy Garmin sonar unit.

I've always been impressed with Garmin's customer support. Your best bet is to contact them directly if you want the most accurate information.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25   #18
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just checked the FAQ's on the garmin site. NMEA 2000 compliant AIS receivers will hook to it.

The funky features speedoo mentioned, the Fish Eye view and the Mariner Eye views are pretty much just gimmicks. The satellite image overlay is, IMHO, pretty much useless as well. Just makes seeing the screen harder. The base maps included are pretty lean as well. I couldn't use just the base map to navigate our stretch of the St. Lawrence river. I did like the arial photos of the marina's and their contact/service info.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Just checked the FAQ's on the garmin site. NMEA 2000 compliant AIS receivers will hook to it.

The funky features speedoo mentioned, the Fish Eye view and the Mariner Eye views are pretty much just gimmicks. The satellite image overlay is, IMHO, pretty much useless as well. Just makes seeing the screen harder. The base maps included are pretty lean as well. I couldn't use just the base map to navigate our stretch of the St. Lawrence river. I did like the arial photos of the marina's and their contact/service info.
I assume by "base maps" you are not referring to the included US Coastline charts, correct?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03   #20
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I assume by "base maps" you are not referring to the included US Coastline charts, correct?
Not sure but I think that's what they are. Last time I checked the St. Lawrence River was on a US Coastline/border. Anyhow, if all you want is charts then the extra fluff in the G2 chips is virtually useless.

I've had to order the CANet networking kit to hook up the fuel flow sensor. Missed that in the product documentation. The Garmin marketing guys are a PITA!

Tags
chartplotter, garmin