Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m unfamiliar with “enviro splice”, but expect Wotname means Heat Shrink Crimp terminals and splices, which are self-insulated with an integral heat-shrinkable polyolefin sleeve, and internally coated sealant*.

These are excellent for smaller wires. I more often use standard nylon crimp terminals & butts, with a separate lined heat shrink, for larger wires.

In both cases, I like to install a longer clear heat shrink overall, protecting both the splice and it’s wire identification marking.

* See the Thomas & Betts (T&B) “Sta-Kon” Heat-Shrink Terminal & Splices, on page 27 at Pacer Marine:
http://www.pacermarine.com/catalogpa...%20Catalog.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Amazing!!!

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of valuable information one can access through this forum. While the BS coefficient is occasionally bothersome--like idle chatter on VHF 16--the abundance of assistance is really helpful when one needs it.

FWIW, the "techs" at Garmin have insisted that the cables cannot be spliced!

One last follow up if I may.

When I mentioned my proposal to a friend at our marina, he suggested that since we have a 2006C at our nav table; and, since all of the brains of the 2006C are actually in the antenna, I should consider just buying another 2006C display unit and connecting it to our existing antenna, a GPS 17VHS (see https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8630 ) through a terminal block mounted in our aft cockpit locker. Does that make any sense?

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:01   #18

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I wouldn’t recommend the use of Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC), such as the (guillotine or piercing type) “Skotchlok” telecom connectors.

“Red” Crimp Butt Splice is designed to accept a single #22 to #18 AWG wire in each end. For wires smaller than #22AWG, you can insert both conductors into one end.
I can see your point, but Raymarine actually packages them with their E-series chartplotters - I got the image from their manual. I agree that using IDC connectors on too big a wire gauge is asking for trouble...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 21:17   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Raychem splices

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m unfamiliar with “enviro splice”, but expect Wotname means Heat Shrink Crimp terminals and splices,
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of these types of products doing similar jobs. These splices (below) do work very well, have stood the test of time and are well respected in the aviation industry; however I am sure there are equally as good (or better) products around.

They are rated "immersion resistant" but be aware of the cable temp. requirements. Other pages on the link below show heat shrink solder terminations. These do work but I don't like them unless used by an EXCELLCENT operator. I have seen too many failures even when used by reasonably competent technicians.

Except in high vibration enviroments, I just prefer a GOOD soldered joint, smeared with some DC4 (silicon grease) and covered with heat shrink; quick, simple, cheap and if done well - reliable.

D-436-0096 Product Details - Tyco Electronics
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin