Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 19:02   #16

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
Re: Garmin GPS 17x NMEA2000 no position

Garmin GPS 17x NMEA2000 no position
I've installed a new NMEA 2000 system including a Garmin GPS 17x NMEA 2000 antenna) and GMA 10 display.

Everything else in the system appears to be working properly including depth and wind data. The GMA 10 recognises the GPS is connected and even allows for some configuration of the device but it cannot get a position or display satellite sky view from the GPS.

We have also tried connecting it to our laptop through a NMEA 2000 usb adapter and noticed that the GPS is outputting some data (screen shot attached).

Note date, time and position are wrong. Is the date and time supposed to come from the satellites or does the GPS need to know this first to get a lock?

We are quite stuck with this, any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 05:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
Garmin GPS 17x NMEA2000 no position
I've installed a new NMEA 2000 system including a Garmin GPS 17x NMEA 2000 antenna) and GMA 10 display.

Everything else in the system appears to be working properly including depth and wind data. The GMA 10 recognises the GPS is connected and even allows for some configuration of the device but it cannot get a position or display satellite sky view from the GPS.

We have also tried connecting it to our laptop through a NMEA 2000 usb adapter and noticed that the GPS is outputting some data (screen shot attached).

Note date, time and position are wrong. Is the date and time supposed to come from the satellites or does the GPS need to know this first to get a lock?

We are quite stuck with this, any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Ok I am on my Mainship and just went to the GMI-10 display, go to Communications, then select by scrolling NMEA2000 hit select, next find the GPS19 or 17 GPS device then press select then try selecting "Auto Position" once you have selected this back out and it should give you position data. Let me know if you can get to this point using the GMI-10 display? My display also shows non-Garmin devices in the NMEA2000 list of devices.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 06:06   #18

I just noticed I am using a GMI-10 your display is a GMA-10?
Bill
Old 26-05-2014, 15:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
A GNSS receiver usually needs to know the date and the approximate time, and to have satellite ephemeris data, in order to have a reasonable time to first fix from a stone cold start. If it has that data, it can better know what satellite might be in view, and start to listen for that satellite, instead of randomly listening for a satellite that might be on the other side of the Earth at the moment.

I am also guessing that perhaps the last place that your Garmin GNSS receiver was located when operating might have been Olathe, Kansas. If it wakes up and thinks it is still in Kansas when in fact it is in SE Asia, the time to first fix might be longer than anticipated.

If you can see the Satellites in View display, you could compare what the Garmin receiver thinks are the satellites overhead with a real-time map of where the satellites are. That would give you an idea if the receiver was trying to listen for the proper satellites.

Get the real time position of GPS satellites from:

Real-Time WAAS Satellite Status
Thanks for your input.
The GPS shows up in the NMEA 2000 device list, however it will not show any satellites in the view display. the unit has been connected for 24hr?
Old 26-05-2014, 16:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
A GNSS receiver usually needs to know the date and the approximate time, and to have satellite ephemeris data, in order to have a reasonable time to first fix from a stone cold start. If it has that data, it can better know what satellite might be in view, and start to listen for that satellite, instead of randomly listening for a satellite that might be on the other side of the Earth at the moment.

I am also guessing that perhaps the last place that your Garmin GNSS receiver was located when operating might have been Olathe, Kansas. If it wakes up and thinks it is still in Kansas when in fact it is in SE Asia, the time to first fix might be longer than anticipated.

If you can see the Satellites in View display, you could compare what the Garmin receiver thinks are the satellites overhead with a real-time map of where the satellites are. That would give you an idea if the receiver was trying to listen for the proper satellites.

Get the real time position of GPS satellites from:

Real-Time WAAS Satellite Status
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Ok I am on my Mainship and just went to the GMI-10 display, go to Communications, then select by scrolling NMEA2000 hit select, next find the GPS19 or 17 GPS device then press select then try selecting "Auto Position" once you have selected this back out and it should give you position data. Let me know if you can get to this point using the GMI-10 display? My display also shows non-Garmin devices in the NMEA2000 list of devices.
Bill
Thanks, Bill.
My GMI-10 shows the GPS 17, Airmar depth & Maretron wind instruments.
GPS 17 Auto position is selected, but still don't get a position?
I do get some sentences out of the GPS, as can be seen on my screen shot, but correct position & time is still missing.
Thanks again,
Walter
Old 26-05-2014, 17:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
Thanks, Bill.
My GMI-10 shows the GPS 17, Airmar depth & Maretron wind instruments.
GPS 17 Auto position is selected, but still don't get a position?
I do get some sentences out of the GPS, as can be seen on my screen shot, but correct position & time is still missing.
Thanks again,
Walter
You do realize this is only a 12 channel WAAS enabled GPS receiver correct?
It does not do the newer satellilite 10hz refresh GNSS you need a GPS 19x NMEA2000 for that and a compliant display.
What voltage is your NMEA2000 buss (12VDC) some of these units you cannot exceed 16VDC.
Bill
Old 26-05-2014, 18:16   #22

The NMEA 2000 bus is 12V DC.
The strange thing is that I do get some output from the unit, however position & date appears to be locked?

Tags
garmin, gps, nmea