Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 17:59   #31

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Garmin GMI 20 & WSO100?

Witzgall,

The USB100 was the answer we were afraid of. The WSO100 was a pretty good price as a replacement for the bird-damaged GWS10 that was up there. If the USB100 is essentially a mandatory installation tool (use once, throw away, $200 lost), then the WSO100 is topping twice the price of the GWS10.

We'd buy the Actisense USB/N2K device, because it does other good stuff, but the fact that Maretron doesn't play with other vendors kind of sucks.

I'm afraid my father is sending back the Maretron tomorrow. Probably the right answer, even though it's a sad answer.

Thanks for the (dpressing) help.

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 18:35   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Why not just buy the Maretron 150 display it is only $400. Maretron DSM150-02 Multi-Function High Bright Color Display - Grey

Plus you'll need the cable and terminators. Maretron NMEA 2000 Starter Kit
and Maretron NMEA 2000 Mid Single-Ended Cordset - Female to Open Pigtail - 25 Meter (blue) DF-DB1-25.0 for only $105.08 !

I luv my Maretron setup, as above. It's on it's own backbone and works flawlessly.

See my previous posts.
Old 14-01-2014, 19:43   #33

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

The installed system is perfect -- at least it was until a bird sat on the wind instrument. "Only $400" is kind of a waste when the installed systems work just fine, the cutouts are all the right size, and nothing else is needed -- except a way to calibrate the WSO100. Adding a 150 to the bill pushes the cost of the new masthead instrument well over $1000 -- making the Garmin look better and better.

It's sad, because the WSO100 is really much nicer -- but the "calibration cost" makes it just too much money.

When will MFGR's realize that the users need/want to be able mix/match?

I am about to go to a N2K system on my boat. I won't be updating my GPS at this time. I'd really like to go with a Raymarine i70, but there is NO way to update it without buying a Raymarine GPS! I'll probably go with a Garmin GMI20, even though I'd rather go Raymarine, because I have access to a Garmin GPS for firmware updates.

GRRR.... N2K came so close to interoperability!

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin