Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 05:04   #1

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
Garmin data card programmer

My boat's got a GPSMap 2010C, and as near as I can tell, the software has never been upgraded since 2001. For this I need one of Garmin's data card "programmers". I have the part number (010-10363-00), but nobody is selling one, not even ebay.

Anyone out there able to help? If not to sell me one, then to put a new software upgrade on a card that we trade by mail.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:24   #2

If you contact Garmin they will send the upgrade on a data card which you can use to upgrade your chartplotter for a small refundable deposit which you get back when the card is returned
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 13:36   #3

Re: Garmin data card programmer

Google is your friend. Several Garmin card programmers here:

Have you tried calling a local Garmin dealer, like Radio World or one of the several chandleries? I bet one of them might either loan you a card to upgrade with, or perform the upgrade in their shop.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 16:35   #4

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Lots of options. Thanks everyone. I will post an update when I get something firm.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:07   #5

I'm also looking for one of these data programmers, but to convert newer SD Card Garnin maps to data card format for an old 3010 plotter. However, all the data programmers listed on google seem to be out of stock once you try to purchase them, so the programmers seem really hard to find...

I might have to just buy new maps delivered in the old data card format. Pain in the ass - it's more expensive I believe as there are fewer retailers of data card format maps... (many SD card format maps available on EBay & Amazon for a discounted price vs. Garmin online store...). If any one has a suggestion on getting data card format maps for a reasonable price, I'm all ears...
galacticair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 12:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I talked with Garmin at the Oakland Boat Show about the data cards. They will still program the cards but they are fast running out/may have already run out of the cards themselves. If you have the blank cards, especially the large capacity ones, hang on to them. If you want to cruise over a large area like say, CA to the Carribean, Garmin will program a card with all the maps needed as long as you have a card with enough capacity. Of course they will charge you but supposedly way cheaper than buying all the separate cards that you'd need to cover this territory. They will also do the same for the newer non-proprietary cards, btw.

If I ever cruise further than Hawaii-Alaska-US West Coast-Mexico for which I have the chips, will bite the bullet and buy a 4000 series or up plotter that use the non proprietary chips.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote