Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 12:14   #1

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
Garmin 741xs Discontinued

I just dealt with this issue with my 741xs. When I tried to connect my standalone mobile Helm app, it would no longer work. I called Garmin tech support and learned…

The standalone Helm App has been discontinued. it is now part of the Active Captain App which will connect to the 741xs.

The 741xs is discontinued because it doesn’t have the hardware capability to support WIFI transfer from a mobile device of all the Active Captain features. These include:
  • The ActiveCaptain Community - database (with navigation notes)
  • OneChart - charts and updates
  • QuickDraw Community - 1 ft contours submitted from community depth sounders
  • Software Updates - system files for the 741xs
  • User Data Sync - waypoints and routes created on mobile device
  • Smart Notifications - calls, texts, and other notifications from a synced mobile device to the 741xs

I have loaded the new AC app on my Android smartphone and on my Android tablet
, and both connect. However the Azus tablet keeps losing the connection. Will follow up with Garmin.

I purchased and downloaded the 2018 map update to my 32GB microSD card using Garmin Express on my iMac. I deleted the older map files as they were causing a “Can’t Unlock Maps” alert when turning on the 741xs. This didn’t stop the current maps from loading but was annoying. Deleting the older maps eliminated this alert.

As in the past, I downloaded the 741xs system update using my Parallels PC emulator software running XT on my iMac. I ran the .exe file and transferred the update files to a 2GB microSD card (the minimum size needed). The chart updates loaded on the 741xs with no problem. When I put the 2GB card into the second slot, the update program booted automatically and updated the system files without issue. Both these update functions are now part of the AC App and can be done via WIFI from your mobile device with the new Garmin models.

From a customer relations perspective, it’s never a good idea to dead-end a 3 year-old product. There are thousands of 741xs owners out there who are very upset. Garmin’s solution is to have us purchase their new 742xs, which includes all the new WIFI AC features, plus more new features, like Built-in SailAssist. (I have the gWind wired transducer, GND 10 Black Box Bridge, and GMI 20 MFD ).

See Garmin’s description of the new $999 742xs
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575473
Here’s it’s connected boating app description for the 724xs…
Built in Wi-Fi gives you access to the free all-in-one ActiveCaptain™ app, so you can manage your marine experience from nearly anywhere. It creates a simple yet powerful connection between your compatible mobile device and your Garmin chartplotter, charts, maps and the boating community. Wherever you are, you’ll have unlimited access to your cartography, the ability to purchase new maps and charts and access to the Garmin Quickdraw™ Contours Community. Stay connected with smart notifications on your chartplotter screen. You can also plan a trip or prefish a lake, and ActiveCaptain will automatically sync with your chartplotter. Even get notifications for software updates, and decide when to download them on your device.

Here’s a video from the GPSStore about the 742xs and larger 942xs ...

I’m going to call them to get their take on this development, especially if the 942xs may have the beefier hardware to make it more future proof than the smaller 742xs.

At the very least, Garmin should offer their 741xs customers a significant discount to upgrade to the 742xs or another Garmin plotter. When I spoke with tech support, the tech was not even sympathetic about this issue.

I recently got excellent support from Simard when my HS35 wireless handset charging cradle failed. They sent me a new cradle, no questions asked. I’m going to do research into a Simard NEMA2K chartplotter to see how compatible it might be with my Garmin instruments. The Simard autopilot has been recommended over the Garmin.

Garmin, I’m a disappointed customer.
Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:39   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Garmin 741xs Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSailingChannel.TV View Post
I just dealt with this issue with my 741xs. When I tried to connect my standalone mobile Helm app, it would no longer work. I called Garmin tech support and learned…

The standalone Helm App has been discontinued. it is now part of the Active Captain App which will connect to the 741xs.

The 741xs is discontinued because it doesn’t have the hardware capability to support WIFI transfer from a mobile device of all the Active Captain features. These include:
  • The ActiveCaptain Community - database (with navigation notes)
  • OneChart - charts and updates
  • QuickDraw Community - 1 ft contours submitted from community depth sounders
  • Software Updates - system files for the 741xs
  • User Data Sync - waypoints and routes created on mobile device
  • Smart Notifications - calls, texts, and other notifications from a synced mobile device to the 741xs

I have loaded the new AC app on my Android smartphone and on my Android tablet
, and both connect. However the Azus tablet keeps losing the connection. Will follow up with Garmin.

I purchased and downloaded the 2018 map update to my 32GB microSD card using Garmin Express on my iMac. I deleted the older map files as they were causing a “Can’t Unlock Maps” alert when turning on the 741xs. This didn’t stop the current maps from loading but was annoying. Deleting the older maps eliminated this alert.

As in the past, I downloaded the 741xs system update using my Parallels PC emulator software running XT on my iMac. I ran the .exe file and transferred the update files to a 2GB microSD card (the minimum size needed). The chart updates loaded on the 741xs with no problem. When I put the 2GB card into the second slot, the update program booted automatically and updated the system files without issue. Both these update functions are now part of the AC App and can be done via WIFI from your mobile device with the new Garmin models.

From a customer relations perspective, it’s never a good idea to dead-end a 3 year-old product. There are thousands of 741xs owners out there who are very upset. Garmin’s solution is to have us purchase their new 742xs, which includes all the new WIFI AC features, plus more new features, like Built-in SailAssist. (I have the gWind wired transducer, GND 10 Black Box Bridge, and GMI 20 MFD ).

See Garmin’s description of the new $999 742xs
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575473
Here’s it’s connected boating app description for the 724xs…
Built in Wi-Fi gives you access to the free all-in-one ActiveCaptain™ app, so you can manage your marine experience from nearly anywhere. It creates a simple yet powerful connection between your compatible mobile device and your Garmin chartplotter, charts, maps and the boating community. Wherever you are, you’ll have unlimited access to your cartography, the ability to purchase new maps and charts and access to the Garmin Quickdraw™ Contours Community. Stay connected with smart notifications on your chartplotter screen. You can also plan a trip or prefish a lake, and ActiveCaptain will automatically sync with your chartplotter. Even get notifications for software updates, and decide when to download them on your device.

Here’s a video from the GPSStore about the 742xs and larger 942xs ...

I’m going to call them to get their take on this development, especially if the 942xs may have the beefier hardware to make it more future proof than the smaller 742xs.

At the very least, Garmin should offer their 741xs customers a significant discount to upgrade to the 742xs or another Garmin plotter. When I spoke with tech support, the tech was not even sympathetic about this issue.

I recently got excellent support from Simard when my HS35 wireless handset charging cradle failed. They sent me a new cradle, no questions asked. I’m going to do research into a Simard NEMA2K chartplotter to see how compatible it might be with my Garmin instruments. The Simard autopilot has been recommended over the Garmin.

Garmin, I’m a disappointed customer.

The simple solution to your Garmin product problems is to think/buy B&G, Furuno or RayMarine. I, like most former Garmin buyer/owners, will never, ever, purchase another new Garmin product save, until our current units completely die, from the east European hackers that have cloned Garmin chips available for very little money.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 19:22   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome to Garmin ownership!

This is pretty typical of Garmin. By the time you've got it home and installed, it's "legacy" and no longer supported. They expect you to just go buy a new one every 18 months, like the morons who line up for a new iPhone do.

I went through the exact same thing. I could load a memory card with all the charts and AC data, but my unit never got the update which would allow it to read the AC data from the card. Not because it couldn't. Just because they didn't want to include that patch in updates to a "legacy" unit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 20:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was Garmin dealer, and can get their products at a screaming deal, but I won't and not supporting products that are only a couple of years old is why
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was Garmin dealer, and can get their products at a screaming deal, but I won't and not supporting products that are only a couple of years old is why
Thank you!! More people need to send this message to Garmin.

Creating "buzz" in boating circles will help. Getting enough people to buy competing products will help a lot.

I don't hate Garmin. They make good stuff. It's just that I can't accept their damn-the-customer attitude about products they've just sold.

I worked in IT. I get it. Garmin probably wants to focus their resources on development of new products. Probably their best people are taken off a product line as soon as it goes to production, to focus on the next version.

Garmin management apparently doesn't see any value in supporting customers who've already bought a product which, to the marketers and developers, is already history.

Maybe they're right. Maybe the iPhone model will work in the marine electronics world. Maybe customers will buy something for $1K, then throw it away 18 months later when the new one comes out.

If we accept that model, we have no-one but ourselves to blame.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:07   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

As much as I like Garmin hardware and usability, I will never buy their stuff again for exactly this specific reason; they obsolete their stuff far to often. I had a whole suite of their stuff that was rendered in-updateable when they pitched their proprietary card format without support for legacy customers.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thank you!! More people need to send this message to Garmin.

Creating "buzz" in boating circles will help. Getting enough people to buy competing products will help a lot.

I don't hate Garmin. They make good stuff. It's just that I can't accept their damn-the-customer attitude about products they've just sold.

I worked in IT. I get it. Garmin probably wants to focus their resources on development of new products. Probably their best people are taken off a product line as soon as it goes to production, to focus on the next version.

Garmin management apparently doesn't see any value in supporting customers who've already bought a product which, to the marketers and developers, is already history.

Maybe they're right. Maybe the iPhone model will work in the marine electronics world. Maybe customers will buy something for $1K, then throw it away 18 months later when the new one comes out.

If we accept that model, we have no-one but ourselves to blame.

I'm not an IT guy, but everything is going this way, and subscription model as well. Sure you make money by selling a product, but you make much, much more over time if they have to keep coming back to the well. Take Microsoft's subscription model of selling Office now for example.

I think your dead on with the Iphone thought.
Think about it, for the average computer user, can you now do anything significantly different on your new computer than the one you had ten years ago?
However every couple of years our computer gets so slow due to updates that we go out and buy a new one.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Garmin makes great Avionics, but I'll take Bendix/King over Garmin anyday. Why? Cause I can get 30 yr old Bendix/King radios serviced anywhere in the World.
10 years ago I Wouldn't have said that, I Would have told you that Garmin was the more modern, better stuff and your Father flew with that Bendix/King KX-155, why would you want to? Now I know why, cause you can spend the cost of a nice car on Avionics, but five years from now Garmin has orphaned them and your stuck.
Gary and Min both came from Bendix/King and started Garmin, so they are very well aware of that model, they know exactly what they are doing, and have made a fortune. No doubt it's working for them, and working very well.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:44   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I’m also disappointed in them not supporting the latest features on the 741xs. We won’t be going Garmin on our next boat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:39   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Heck with supporting latest features.
Do this, call Garmin to see where to send it to get it repaired. You may hear that it's a discontinued model and no longer supported. No longer supported means we don't fix them anymore, your choice is to buy a new one. You may get lucky and they may feel sorry for you and offer a discount, or they may not. Your three or four year old plotter is now garbage
Old 22-07-2018, 09:44   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You know this started years ago, likely with TV's.
You don't get them fixed anymore, you throw them away and buy new. More and more that is becoming the model, many things can't even be disassembled without damage anymore.

I Hate it as it's wasteful, but even with automobiles it's the way, your supposed to buy a new SUV every three years. Even houses are being built now very poorly and won't last decades like was common, How about most boats?
Old 22-07-2018, 12:13   #12

Raymarine users have the same issue, but we usually get 3-4 years of support...unless it's an autopilot component.

My antiquated Raymarine C120 plotter has finally passed on, and I was pretty excited about the very capable and affordable 741xs. However, from yalls experience, maybe I stick to Raymarine or look elsewhere? Is it that big of a risk purchasing an $500 unsupported plotter?
jwillis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:21   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis22 View Post
Raymarine users have the same issue, but we usually get 3-4 years of support...unless it's an autopilot component.

My antiquated Raymarine C120 plotter has finally passed on, and I was pretty excited about the very capable and affordable 741xs. However, from yalls experience, maybe I stick to Raymarine or look elsewhere? Is it that big of a risk purchasing an $500 unsupported plotter?
Willis--Do yourself and your pocketbook a favor. Buy either B&G or Furuno that will still be supporting you in 5 - 10 years and forget about Garmin.

Frankly, unless and until folks begin abandoning Garmin enmass, it will not change it's "screw the consumer" ways/attitude. Personally, I think we should all encourage everyone we know to avoid Gaimin products at all costs, whether Marine, Aviation, Landside Sports or what have you.

When the Company's sales go down the drain, perhaps it will get the message that its customers count and they are not a bottomless pit. Or perhaps not, in which case it will eat dirt in the same manner as did Magellan or, more recently, West Marine when it started pulling its pricing BS after gobbling up most of its brick'n morter competitors. In short order, WM's sales cratered and the company ended up in the hands of a buyout crew for dirt cheap. The same crew that's figured out that making 10% mark-up on 1,000 items with price matching--which really is nothing more than letting customers do one's competitive market research at no cost to you--is better than making 100% on 10 items while the other 990 buyers go to Defender, iMarine, or even Amazon.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 05:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Frankly, unless and until folks begin abandoning Garmin enmass, it will not change it's "screw the consumer" ways/attitude. Personally, I think we should all encourage everyone we know to avoid Gaimin products at all costs, whether Marine, Aviation, Landside Sports or what have you.
I couldn't agree more. My concern is it'll never happen.

It seems most recreational boaters buy navigation hardware once. They never add new stuff, never upgrade, and never even get new chart data.

They don't really know how to use what they've got, and wouldn't know or care if new features are available. This probably makes perfect sense if you never go outside your familiar home waters.

It's only real cruisers (a small percentage of the market) who look for support. Garmin is probably correct in thinking they can ignore us.

FWIW, you won't see Garmin gear on most commercial boats.
Old 25-07-2018, 11:51   #15

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia

Great to see this discussion. Three years ago I made the switch to Garmin when my Raymarine C70 got too slow to run new maps. I had a smorgasbord of electronics: Standard Horizon; Interphase; Signet Marine. I wanted to consolidate on one dependable brand connected by NEAM 2000, as I replaced my electronics.

I like Garmin for it's ease of use and its use of standard NEMA 2000 connections. However, if I had to do it again, I would seriously consider B&G or its sister, SIMRAD. I have a 2-year old Simrad VHF RS 35 with wireless handset. It includes AIS reception and gets it's GPS coordinates over the N2K network (currently from the 741xs). Last week the handset recharging cradle died. Without any questions, Simrad tech support sent me a new cradle (with instructions NOT to return the old one).

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin