Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 09:27   #1
bnb

Garmin 740 plotter help

I just purchased a bayliner and it has a Garmin 740 plotter. There are no disc's in it.
I will be going from Carolina to Fla and then on to Puerto Rico via Bahamas, Turks, and Dom Rep.
Where can I get information on how to plot my course and use the plotter for my needs.
Also, what disc's do I need for that kind of trip.
Thank-you in advance.
R & B
bnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:56   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Garmin 740 plotter help

Hi BnB, I have a Garmin 721, which I think is the same as the 740, except “Canadianized”. Not sure what you mean by “no disc’s”. Mine uses an HD card for the charts. I’m sure you can buy the cards from any place that sells digital charts.

As for basic instructions, if you go to the Garmin website and look up your device you can download the specific manuals.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:22   #3
bnb

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. By "disc" I was referring to the HD cards. Mine has none.
I have the owner's Manuel, but it is more of a "what it has" book and not an instruction manual. I will check their website again, couldn't find anything on instructions to plot.
Thanks again.
Ron
bnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:26   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMA...ries_OM_EN.pdf

Takes an SD card. You'll need to buy a card with the charts you need.

PLEASE read the manual before you take any extended voyage with it. While Garmin units are fairly user friendly and intuitive, there are some functions that you'll never find unless you read the manual. Like how to turn down the display brightness, which is kinda important when operating at night if you want to be able to see anything other than the display, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:10   #5

Boat: Alberg 30

download homeport from garmin then after you purchase your sd card chart insert it into computer and use homeport to create your route then insert sd card back into chart plotter much easier than using chart plotter

make sure to make a backup of your sd card chart
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Search the internet for used data cards. Many are on sale cheap by people who have moved on and think they won't need data for a particular area again. Manuals for just about anything can be downloaded, many for free.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:35   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

We run 2 Garmin 740 chartplotters on our sailboat-a 741S at the helm and a 740S at the Nav table. We bought the SD map cards on line (Ebay, Amazon, etc) after going to the Garmon website to see what areas each covers, determining which ones I wanted, and what the exact, complete Garmin nomeclature was for each....to make sure I bought a current, correct map chip. We found the prices MUCH cheaper on Ebay, and the map chips have worked perfectly. We are sailing the eastern Caribb now, after sailing the eastern Medd before, with chips for each.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:12   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We run 2 Garmin 740 chartplotters on our sailboat-a 741S at the helm and a 740S at the Nav table. We bought the SD map cards on line (Ebay, Amazon, etc) after going to the Garmon website to see what areas each covers, determining which ones I wanted, and what the exact, complete Garmin nomeclature was for each....to make sure I bought a current, correct map chip. We found the prices MUCH cheaper on Ebay, and the map chips have worked perfectly. We are sailing the eastern Caribb now, after sailing the eastern Medd before, with chips for each.
Have you ever tried to update the info on the card? If you have, than fine.
I ask because on a boat of friends, the card, which they have bought from a secondary seller (and worked perfectly in the plotter) could not be updated and Garmin said in response to a query that it is illegal copy.
So make sure the card you purchase is original/legal.
Old 21-08-2017, 09:38   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Go to the Garmin website and choose support. Then it will ask for product name or serial number. Choose your model then it will take to a screen that says it is a Discontinued product and there are choices for downloads of manual, installation instructions, and software update.
Choose the software update and save the file to your computer hard drive in a location you can remember.
Put an empty SD card in the card reader attached to your computer. You can buy a multi-format one that reads all kinds of disks for Staples, best Buy etc.

Then click on the file you downloaded and it will take you through the steps to save the Update to your empty card.
After that is done turn on your Chartplotter and put in the SD card. It will automatically begin the instructions to perform your update. Make a few choices and it will go on with the update. Leave the card in the unit and restart after it is done or it tells you to.

It takes longer to tell about it than it does to actually do it. Just need to have a card reader on your computer and an empty SD card.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin