Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 20:10   #1

Boat: Irwin ketch 37 ft.
Garmin 18 Radar

I am stuck in Miami waiting to cross so am trying to fix all of my old stuff.
My Garmin 18 radar has not worked since I bought the boat but I was told, by Garmin, that it is usually due to power or data cable. I only have about 10 volts at the end of my power cable but 12.6+/_ at the breaker. Any way to fix this without string a new power cable?
Thanks
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 22:07   #2

Re: Garmin 18 Radar

A voltage drop of 2.6 Volts is a pretty serious drop. Either you have corroded connections or you are pulling much more current than the wiring is designed for. I would check for corrosion first.

You could also buy a voltage booster. There are several on the market of those, but they tend to cut out at around 10 Volts in order to protect the battery.

Cheers, ....Erik.
Home
ve7mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 00:10   #3

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Garmin 18 Radar

Presuming the radome is mounted on the main mast there is probably a junction at the mast step the is poorly done and/or corroded in the bilge area. If that would be the case the splicing of the shielded pair control and signal wiring would be suspect also. Even without control and signal connections, you should hear the radome drive motor run for 10 sec after the power leads are energized. Once you have the voltage drop addressed, suggest calling Garmin tech support. They were very responsive in diagnosing ours.

Good luck,
John P

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, radar