Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-04-2014, 07:11   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
Furuno TZ Touch

I am in need of replacing an broken and obsolete Raymarine chartplotter on a sailing boat. I am 90% convinced I would like to install a 14" Furuno TZ touch screen. Does anyone have any advice comments on this device. My major reservation is how practical the touch screen will be under sail, particularly when its rough.

Old 23-04-2014, 07:48   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Furuno TZ Touch

I'm debating the same thing with myself OD. I'm over 50, but I think I'm already corrupted by the iPad revolution. Going back to buttons where you have to click out, click over to where you want to go, click the button over and over to get the cursor where you want the waypoint, or click the button over and over to get to the object you want a description of, etc. is like going back to a dial telephone.

I'm thinking that even in rough, wet weather, it would be easier to use a quick fingertip on the screen than to click around with buttons.

The challenging part is deciding on the write product line. I want an iPad experience with marine grade material and fully N2K compliant.

Old 23-04-2014, 08:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

touch screen worked great on my Garmin 740S, and that was on a center console fishing boat, that has a rougher ride than a sailboat. I thought that I would be touching the wrong part of the screen a lot, but you learn to rest your hand on the side of the plotter to hold your finger still
Old 23-04-2014, 08:41   #4

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDriver View Post
I am in need of replacing an broken and obsolete Raymarine chartplotter on a sailing boat. I am 90% convinced I would like to install a 14" Furuno TZ touch screen. Does anyone have any advice comments on this device. My major reservation is how practical the touch screen will be under sail, particularly when its rough.
Have you looked at the new generation Raymarine systems? They offer touch screen AND hard buttons, so you have the best of both worlds.
Old 23-04-2014, 09:36   #5

Boat: Oyster 56

I agree the new Raymarine kit looks really great. I am currently smarting a bit from having numerous bits of Raymarine kit that isn't really that old, but for which there is no support and no spares available? I am sure its commercially a good strategy, but it doesn't engender long term brand loyalty.
Old 23-04-2014, 11:27   #6
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

The TZT has a nice rotokey as well as touch. I don't have one but have played with one and went to the Furuno training last year. The Furuno, Raymarine e series, Simrad touch screens all have rotokeys (knobs) as well as touch screens. The Lowrance touch screens don't have a rotokey.

You can do pretty much everything by turning the knob and pressing it when what you want is highlighted.
Old 23-04-2014, 17:59   #7

Boat: Oyster 66

I've got a Maxsea TZ touchscreen boat PC and two Raymarine rl80crc on deck. I think Maxsea do the software for the Furuno. I don't like the touch screen too much, a few missed touches, but the software is good otherwise. I am pretty familiar now with the menus on the Ray and can make it work fast enough though it is slow at screen redraws. The zoom on the TZ is really good. Both work well enough for me.

Sorry, can't comment on wet fingers.

I think a modern radar and solid state compass are where the biggest steps forward will come from, less so from the interface.

I'm surprised you can't get it fixed. One of mine was at the factory only last year for a new board.
Old 26-04-2014, 19:59   #8

Boat: Island Packet 370

We installed a 14 inch TZ ant the helm and the 9 inch at our nav station. The touch screen has been great so far, building and modifying routes is very intuitive. The move function makes modifying routes easy.

I am not usually very good at operating touch screens but have had no problems so far. We actually damaged the 14 inch display on our first trip. (Dont ask but it involved a 1 inch solid ss rod dropping on it) Furuno was kind enough to replace the unit for us, even tho the damage was self inflicted,

THe radar is GREAT still learning but so far all is good.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:11   #9

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I would LOVE to see pictures of your installation Sea Lyon! Any chance you could post a few?

Tags
furuno

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: