Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 00:44   #1

Furuno SSB usable with Pactor modem?

Hi everyone,

I am looking seriously into all the available options of Coms to be installed on the next boat.
Having had an ICOM M802 on the last boat I would like to go with a different brand this time…
I am seriously interested in the Furuno 1575, but nowhere I can find whether it is possible to attach a Pactor modem with it.
Anyone experience with the Furuno range of SSB radios?
Also comments welcomed for other Furuno equipment (from VHF to Naviagtion, AIS, Radar…)
The previous boat had a mix of different brands and most often they did NOT communicate properly despite all NMEA0183 capable.
SuzieWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:01   #2

Re: Furuno SSB usable with Pactor modem?

Don't know about the latest models but the earlier ones would not work with a Pactor modem.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13   #3

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yes, absolutely, it is. very good set, any decent radio place can make you a cable. By the way, many people were told the old furuno models did not work - but they did, you just had to know how to connect them...
Old 07-11-2014, 05:36   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Suzie,
On my way out....so need to be brief...
Yes, the Furuno 1575 will work with a PACTOR modem just fine...(you are aware that this Furuno will set you back over $8000 USD???)

And, if you had an older version of the M-802, I understand your reluctance....but be advised that they fixed all the problems and it's a really nice rig....and costs about $1850 USD....

More later...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Suzie,
1) As I wrote earlier, the FS-1575 will work well with a PACTOR modem....although I'm not sure if AirMail will control the radio frequency automatically....

2) But, also as I wrote above, be aware that the Furuno FS-1575 (with AT-1575 tuner) will cost you almost $9000.00 USD (about $8800.00 thru on-line purchase)
Compared to the Icom M-802 (with AT-140 tuner), costing you < $2400....(less than 1/3 the cost of the Furuno FS-1575)

Icom SSB Radio Kits & Components

IC-M802 HF Marine Transceiver - Specifications - Icom America

Furuno FS1575 Radiotelephone SSB

http://www.psicompany.com/man-prod-i...20Brochure.pdf

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...09-27-2012.pdf

3) Also be aware that the FS-1575 is available ONLY as a 24vdc radio....(unlike earlier 150 watt Furuno's, including their earlier MF/HF-DSC-SSB radiotelephone, the FS-1570....which were available as either 12vdc or 24vdc radios...)

4) Finally, and most importantly, if you had experience with earlier M-802's, I understand your reluctance....
But, be assure that Icom ha found/fixed the old dreaded "clipping issue", and most Icom dealers supply the M-802 with its DSP-based Speech Compressor turned ON (giving your signal plenty of punch, but keeping it crystal clear!!)
And, they will also preprogram all the relevant channels/frequencies into it (and changing/adding on-the-fly, just takes a few seconds...)

Also, the are no issues with full automated control of the radio via AirMail and PACTOR modem...

If you like to read/see more about the M-802 (and how well the new / updated versions work), please have a look at these threads and videos....

Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call
(Watch these videos..)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html

Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....

Re: IC-M802 Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieWong View Post
I am looking seriously into all the available options of Coms to be installed on the next boat.
Having had an ICOM M802 on the last boat I would like to go with a different brand this time…
New M-802 versions (and/or ones updated) work VERY well...

I am seriously interested in the Furuno 1575,
Remember that this is a 24vdc radio, and costs almost $9000.00 USD!!!

but nowhere I can find whether it is possible to attach a Pactor modem with it.
Yes, but sure if AirMail will automatically control the radio's frequency/mode/etc...

Anyone experience with the Furuno range of SSB radios?
They are nice radios....but VERY pricey...

Also comments welcomed for other Furuno equipment (from VHF to Naviagtion, AIS, Radar…)
In general Furuno is good stuff....sometimes no better than other brands, depending on what particular items you're looking at...but usually no worse....

The previous boat had a mix of different brands and most often they did NOT communicate properly despite all NMEA0183 capable.
All MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephones will have a NMEA 0183 position data input....but little else to worry about....

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 22:19   #6

Dear John,

Thanks for the Info.
The next boat shall get a 24V system, at least for the main house battery. So 24V should not be a problem… the less user need 12V the easier it might get to be installed.
I looked up the Ic M802, but as i am planning to sail also into European waters I rather go with a CE certified unit, thus the M801E would be the comparable unit to the Furuno1815 (looks like around 4000$ including tuner).
Choosing VHF will be the next problem: Icom has units with AIS available which is nice… but I rather have the AIS moved to the navigation site (and same brand as radar and chart plotter) and keep a VHF with a numeric keypad to add the MMSI number to be called quickly and easily.
Personal preference.

As I mentioned before, the last boat had Icom VHF and HF, both DSC capable units. Unfortunately they did not communicate with the Raymarine products… it took me a while until I figured that the position information had to come from a different brand GPS… the handheld Garmin with a self solder ironed plug worked well, but I would not like to rely on that for Ocean crossings.

As a result of this, I consider having at least the communication site of the next boat all same brand. As Inmarsat C shall be included (I know, old old system, but I consider it reliable for SafetyNet messages). I consider Furuno products as well as Thrane&Thrane Sailor 6000 line.
Both systems won't come cheap, but for ocean crossings I want to have a reliable communication system available.
I would rather save cash on other (satellite communication) systems, as I consider (e.g. Inmarsat Fleet Broadband 150) nice to have, but not really a need to have.
As a result I have to make sure, that the chosen brand (let be Sailor 6310 or Furuno 1575) communicates easily and well to a Pactor IV modem.

Again, thank you for any comments..
Still in the planning phase
SuzieWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:36   #7

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Don't know about the latest models but the earlier ones would not work with a Pactor modem.
FS1502 and FS-1503 worked fine with Pactor modems.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno, modem, pactor, ssb